Adapting a JD Greenstar ready tractor for AOG

Hi @Pat @torriem

Thank you for the advice. I suspected that I would be taking on the impossible but it is very interesting to hear your views.

Tractor is a 30 series (7930) so suspect it has a danfoss valve like the 8030 series. Though to be honest I wouldn’t know where to look on tractor to check.

Please excuse my ignorance but my understanding of technical terminology and acronyms is poor. @Pat could you explain what you mean by sniff and cut in please?

Thanks

1 Like

The valve is hard to get to on my 7920, probably similar to yours. I once had to have the dealer replace something on the steering valve. He had to remove some of the exhaust piping to get to it. It’s located somewhere down near the back of the engine, where the driveshaft goes into the transmission. Very hard to get to. But maybe the wiring harness is more accessible somewhere along the frame. Read @JohnP’s link. very good stuff that might be applicable.

I think what Pat’s referring to is locating the valve and sensors and cutting into the harness and splicing them into the AOG controller board. Bypassing the proprietary John Deere digital controls.

If you follow your steering wheel column down to underneath the cab the steering wheel would end at the danfoss valve

By sniff I mean just reading voltage on wire in a way I won’t interfere with any sensor or controller, cut in would be more invasive like removing the component from the JD control to use it.

So it seam that not all 30 serie valves are CAN bus? That’s great! How can we identifies it? are there number on the head? By the connector?

CAN and PWM can have the same 4 pin connector I think.

@Pat @JohnP @torriem

Thank you for the explanation.

I’ve taken the panels of the steering column and had a look around. Got a couple of pictures of what I think is the plug to the steering wheel encoder, but can’t reduce in size to upload so put them in my Google album here:

I always find it helpful to see what other companies say about installing their GPS systems. Here’s a document that describes installing an AutoFarm system on a GreenStar-ready 20 series tractor, which is likely similar to your 7930. Page 3 of this document shows accessing the steering wheel encoder harness. It’s two 4-pin connectors. Not sure why they use two different connectors. Redundancy maybe? Doesn’t say what kind of encoder it uses. Most of the cheap ones you’d use with Arduino are just 3 pins, not 4. Anyway, yes it looks like your picture there so I think you’ve found it.

Autofarm works with the Deere steering valve, so it must be something fairly understandable, likely not using CAN bus at this point. If you find your steering valve on your tractor you can identify CAN pretty easily because it will involve a twisted pair of wires .

Spent the afternoon doing some more analysis. Good news I can make sense of everything except the steering commands. Bad news is, it’s complicated and most of it won’t work with AOG at all. The only useful thing is the steering angle sensor. That data comes over the bus all the time. I think it has to be calibrated, though. I am not sure how that’s done but I recall it was done in the diagnostic display once. Even when the brown box monitor is disconnected from the pillar, I can still see the steering angle information. So I imagine that will always be there on a GreenStar ready machine, but could be wrong. PGN is 65535, the first data payload byte is 0x76, and the steer angle is a signed byte in position 2 of those messages. positive is to the left, negative to the right. Range is about +/- 65. Not sure if this is degrees or not.

The autosteer button on the armrest is way more complex. Short version if the tractor can not interact with a monitor with autotrac, the button does nothing. There’s a complex interaction between the monitor, the SSU computer, and the armrest. When you tell the monitor to enable the system, it broadcasts a message to the tractor. If everything is good on the tractor end, the tractor sets some flags in a message that’s broadcast back to the monitor. At that point, the button on the armrest will cause a flag to be set in that same broadcast. The monitor then does its thing and eventually the tractor’s broadcast reflects that everything is good. If you move the steering wheel or put it in neutral, the tractor sets a flag that the monitor sees and then stops steering. Simple, eh.

With the possible exception of the steering angle sensor, you’re better off connecting directly to the steering wheel encode and the autosteer button in the armrest.

6 Likes

Hello everyone,

I have the problem with my JD 7730 when I disconnect the steering wheel encoder, I get an SSU error message. I saw on the internet that encoder terminators are installed. does anyone know how this can be wired?

Markus

I haven’t had any success with connecting the factory encoder without the errors, but if you need to delete the error codes and don’t know how watch this video Reset codes on 30 series John Deere tractor - YouTube . Works for the 8x30 series

Could you pull the fuse on the SSU? If you’re going to bypass it anyway, and go to the sensor and valves directly, there’s no need to have it power on.

Ag Leader has an install document on how they hook into the various sensors and the hydraulic valve on John Deere, and that involves unhooking them from the SSU. Not sure if they simply put dummy caps on all the plugs that give the SSU enough value to keep it happy or what. If I can find the document I’ll post it here. Right now their support server is down.

1 Like

Pulling out the fuse is a good indication. I will test and report it in the next few days.

I tested it today. when i pull out the fuse, i get a new error message. “ICU communication error”

Bummer. Is this a quadrature encoder sensor? Maybe could be faked somehow with resisters to keep the ICU and SSU happy.

EDIT. I found some information on how Raven uses the John Deere sensor in their third-party autosteer. See here. It looks like they have rigged up some “terminators” to keep the SSU happy. They are Raven part number 063-4001-003. I suspect they are just resistors of some kind, probably tying the two signal wires high or low. In commercial sensors they often use resistance to help the ECU detect whether the sensor is unplugged, or shorted to ground or to high signal. I might have a look tomorrow and see if I can figure out how that works.

I looked that part number up and most dealers want around $45 for that terminator. For nothing but a plug and some resistors. Raven prices for cabling are insane.

2 Likes

I have installed a fixed resistor on the cable that leads from the WAS to the SSU, now I have no more SSU errors.

Is it possible to get information about PTO speed and hitch position via the CAN bus? Has anyone done that before?

@MarkusT can you provide any pictures? What resistor did you use?

probably an 10k from signal to ground would do the trick. You can’t short it directly to ground because the computer expects at least some resistance even at the extremes, as that’s how it detects shorts and open circuits.

20210301_105552

Thanks for that @MarkusT . I updated your schematic for the encoder terminators
JD Wiring SSU interupts
No more annoying alarms!
Have you got the OEM encoder working for you? I have not been able to figure it out yet

2 Likes

Yes, but I don’t use the remote contact from PCB 2. I changed the sketch to pin D2. Now it works. But “Steer Enable” must be “Button” and not “Switch”.

If you are running AOG V4.3 can you share your .ino?