AgOpenGPS with Linux

Well, some Mesa drivers supports OpenGL. Freedreno (Qualcomm) for example supports up to OGL 3.1 fully, and almost OGL 3.3. Broadcom’s v3d (Raspberry Pi 4) is also close to OGL 3.x. Lets see what the future Mesa brings to us.

Edit: VC6 GPU (Raspberry Pi 4) supports OpenGL ES 3.2, but no OpenGL 3.0. So we will not see fully hardware support of all parts of OGL 3.

The C++ code I have been working on that is derived from AOG is at GitHub - torriem/QtAgOpenGPS: A Qt C++ port of BrianT's AgOpenGPS. It’s not directly applicable to AOG, but could help someone create OpenGL ES code for AOG.

For Windows, the minimum requirement is really just a hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics driver. My low-end Windows 10 tablet runs AOG smoothly. AOG doesn’t need a tremendous amount of CPU power. 1 GHz is probably plenty

For Linux, the requirement is much the same. A working, hardware-accelerated OpenGL driver will allow AOG to run very smoothly under Wine or Mono. If you could find an ARM board that supported OpenGL (regular OpenGL 3.x) under Linux, AOG should run smoothly with Mono in theory. Most ARM processors I’ve seen are all about the same, 1.2-1.5 GHz, which is plenty fast if the GPU is doing the graphics and section lookahead drawing.

Without hardware-accelerated OpenGL, AOG might run smoothly if you have a fast enough CPU to do OpenGL in software, but it will always consume 100% of one CPU core, as you have already seen…

@sonicpp, that’s really interesting about the Qualcomm Adreno GPU. That’s the only ARM SoC GPU I’ve seen that supports full OpenGL.

1 Like