Ardusimple F9P Base setup

@ Alan.Webb do you think you can make your base so simple.
Base F9P —> esp32 with poe --------> poe injekt —> Router / Internet ---- rtk2go

Mine is working like this. F9P → ESP32 adding 1008 → ESP32 with ESP32XBee → rtk2go.
It can be found on RTK2GO mount point WEBBPARTNERS.

I’ve also got Snip and STRSVR running on a laptop. That is taking the ESP32 injector usb output and casting that to a mount point. Also STRSVR is creating legacy 1004,1008 and 1012 messages from the F9P’s usb output and that is being pushed into snip then sent out as another mount point.

I’m doing this, half for testing and also to try to get an older Topcon receiver to work with the setup.!

F9P far right, ESP32 adding the 1008 in the middle and ESP32- Xbee running on the left. The switches turn off individual boards and the middle one also routes the F9P serial data straight to the ESP32-XBee if the 1008 inlector is not required.

IMG_7433

1 Like

I’m success doing a base with a pi logger, by cloning rtk lib and also with ntrip wifi master from ardusimple. Both config working in tcp. Stronger thant ntrip caster.

What model Trimble? We run FM750’s and I’m thinking of a similar way of obtaining corrections but have only the lightbar & no modem… any idea if there’s some way I can install a modem or some kind of Wifi module to it?

How should I power ESP32? Can I use 5V OUT at RTK2B? I already have XBee LR-module on RTK2B, so I’m planning to connect ESP32 to RTK2B UART1.
Would not like to use separate usb cable to ESP32…

Hi, did you get an F9P to work as a solid base station and also how did you add the strings so it would work with Trimble rovers? Just looking to setup a base for Trimble rovers in combines, have a F9P and rtklib board now as well as a ntrip wifi master. Just wanting to know if wifi to my network solid enough and also how to add the strings for Trimble.
Thanks Curt

Hello, have You solved power question for ESP32? Any pin out suggestions?

No. I have no idea.

Just to add my 10 pence. If someone spots a problem with my wiring shout as at the moment I’m not using ioref.

I think I’ve setup a RTK base station using an ardusimple board and cheapo amazon esp32 dev board.

All I did was install NTRIP master onto the esp32 as per previous post above then connected the esp32 to the xbee connection on the ardusimple board.

Connections esp32 to ardusimple xbee socket

3.3v to 3.3v
GND to GND
rx0 to rx
tx0 to tx

Usually it should be rx to tx for communication but check which pins are set in NTRIP Master for UART communication and wire accordingly.

I setup RTK2GO and configured the server section in NTRIP master to connect.

Everything is working. I’ll post some pictures of the wiring when near the setup.

I’ve somehow missed the comments on this topic. :grimacing:.

I just powered the esp32 via Vin and the f9p via 5v iirc. All with a micro usb power supply (5v).

Just one other connection to the esp, the rx pin. Also, importantly, ioref on the f9p board to 3v3 on the f9p board. The ioref link on the board is required as the esp32 will not last long with uart running at 5v, which the f9p board defaults to.

IOREF link is only required when using arduino rails rather than the 3.3V XBee Socket.

See: ardusimple.com/question/xbee-socket-voltage

1 Like

Was planning to use an Esp as an Ntrip server to send data up to Rtk2go. I plan to power the esp with a usb from wall power like a phone charger. It’s a Trimble style base and it’s outputting the data via a rs232 9 pin connector. Can I just make a cable to send tx from the trimble 9 pin into rx on esp and ground to ground? How do I know if the trimble is 3.3 volts, how do I check that? Then I just need to flash the esp with an xbee firmware right?

Anybody use an Ardusimple with an Uno and an ethernet shield? Any compatibility problems? Just run cat5 cable to a router and your connected.

That would be simple, hope someone has worked on this setup

Are you thinking of dual arduSimple in our single? I’m not sure the Uno has enough speed to do the dual calculations but it might be able to handle acting as a serial-Ethernet bridge.

Just single. Although I found this thread where they say it need dual hardware serial to work.

Would the ardusimple would connect with hardware serial to the Uno and the ethernet shield would connect to the uno with spi?

I had an extra ESP32 sitting around so loaded the GitHub code from nebkat on it and it looks exactly like an XBee now, that will hook to my Wi-Fi and become a caster or a server but if you want an internet connection just add a w5500 or maybe even an ENC28J60. Very easy to configure the caster, just a web browser from A Wi-Fi hotspot that the ESP provides. I actually have an olimex-esp32-poe-iso here but it has an lan8710 ethernet adapter on it and apparently that doesn’t work well for ethernet and esp, not sure why, that’s above my pay grade

One hardware serial should be enough for a single F9P.

Anytime you see “RS232” you’re not talking about logic-level voltages. You’ll need a converter to change 3.3v or 5v serial into RS232 for talking to commercial receivers. Look for TTL to rs232 converter. some are 5v, some are 3.3v, and some can do either. Also there are two types, DCE and DTE, although either will work with a gender changer and possibly a null modem adapter.

Thanks for the info, glad I didn’t just hook it up

1 Like