ArdusimpleRTK2B v3 with ZED-F9R (GNSS+IMU sensor fusion)

Hello,

Looking to the Ardusimple product, I see that they launch a new simpleRTK2B V3 board that can be populated at choice by an ZED-F9P or an ZED-F9R.
ZED-F9R is a module that have an integrated IMU for GNSS+IMU sensor fusion.
I don’t find a lot of documentation on the ZED-F9R specially on GNSS + IMU sensor fusion part (what it’s done exactly, data output format etc…).

Perhaps a alternativ to the MMA + BNO with a GPS “all in one board” ? But more expensiv alternativ :slight_smile:

https://www.u-blox.com/en/product-resources/property_file_product_filter/42149

Anyone have more informations ?

Math

Hello,

So, I revive this topic.
The time I passed, and now we have documentation on this board: https://www.ardusimple.com/rtk-ins-simplertk2b-f9r-hookup-guide/.
But until recently, we couldn’t use this board because in RTK it was limited to 20cm accuracy.

According to Ardusimple when I ask them, simplertk2b-f9r-accuracy - ArduSimple the recent firmware update allow to reach 2cm accuracy in RTK (under test by Ardusimple).

Advantage of this F9R board: F9R use an IMU to provide dead reckoning, allowing to keep RTK accuracy for a limited time when we loss correction or GPS signal.

Other adantage I see: computed attitude (yaw, pitch, roll) of the rover by the IMU is dirrectly available through UBX protocol: UBX-NAV-ATT. So perhap’s we could use this data as a replacement of our current sensors (BNO055, MMA) as an other alternativ to CMPS.

Perhaps we need to connect this board to a microcontroleur that read NMEA and UBX-NAV-ATT message, and send it to the appropiate format to AOG (like OGI for dual antenna) ?

Drawback : the price compare to the Ardusimple F9P :hot_face:

What do do think ?

Math

1 Like

This would kill 3 to 4 birds with one stone correct? GPS IMU ROLL all in one application ?

I’m interested to see future firmware updates, but the implementation is not quite there yet in my opinion. The dynamic model needs to be improved to handle off-road conditions before I will consider using one, especially as I could nearly buy a dual antenna system for the same price!

Hello,

Yes IMU and GNSS receiver in one board. But sadly, for now, according to Ardusimple, not usable for off-road application (see discussion on their forum).

Agree, for the same price, you have a dual antenna. Only avantage remaining to F9R is the dead reckoning fonction.
I don’t know why the Ardusimple F9R board is so expensive compare to F9P board:

• F9R chip alone cost between 132€ and 200€:
  • F9P chip alone cost arround 175€:

So more or less the same price. And U-Blox F9R evaluation board can be found at 275€ (with a box):

Math

1 Like

Anyone know if this solution has evolved - ardusimple have dropped the price of this unit to €300 and as I ma unable to find any bno08x wondering would this be a suitable alternative?

1 Like

I spoke with the ardusimple team about this F9R receiver.
It is not made for the agricultural sector (open fields) because the imu is sensitive to vibration and then needs to be correctly positioned.

It is more efficient (to date) to use an imu to be rated with the Kalman filter.