Build RTK Radio module for Topcon AGI4

Sounds like our experience with Valtra branded X30 screen + their version of AGI-4. The same with our neighbour who uses the same correction signal with their Deutz iMonitor with similar hardware. Trees kill older generation RTK pretty quick :frowning:

Having a Valtra with this RTK enabled setup, I would still be tempted to feed better quality position data to the system via an F9P receiver to get more reliable satellite reception. I wonder if this is possible with just few hundred bucks extra investment :thinking:

I also received 2 CAN-boards now so that after the Spring season I will try the direct CAN-BUS steering configuration on this tractor as outlined by CommonRail. Might even sell the OEM hardware if that works out.

1 Like

Do you mean using F9P as the GNSS receiver instead of the AGI-4 internal receiver? Sounds interesting as it seems AGI-4 is not being upgraded to Galileo or Beidou.

How well do you know the AGI-4 & X30 implementation, wouldnā€™t you have to implement all AGI-4 functions instead of just the GNSS receiver?

Iā€™m not sure about the ā€˜olderā€™ generation and more trouble with trees. I drove on a field today with my tractor that now has the AGI-4 on RTK, and then i drove with a same Fendt tractor that had a Trimble RTK system . The trimble had in my opinion even more trouble with the trees then my system. Only big difference as the recovery time, when my system lost signal, it could take up to a minute before itā€™s back to 2cm accuracy. The trimble did that part allot faster.

And the number of sattelites was almost always higher on my AGI-4 then on the Trimble (we checked while calling eachother) , so not sure what Galileo does to make improvements.

1 Like

Iā€™m getting back to this matter now that the ā€œpublicā€ RTK network is also an option.

Referring to your question about the AGI-4 to X30 implementation; at the time last Spring I thought that the 9 pin DB9 connector in the cabin might accept feeding position towards the X30, or it could be done by cutting two (NMEA containing) wires between the AG3000 and X30 and feeding the already corrected position stream there.

However, that being ā€œoffensiveā€ and subject to many unknowns, I might rather try the ā€œsafeā€ way of taking the public RTK corrections, using RTKlib in the cab to make necessary message transformations before feeding to the external modem port of the receiver. That way no need to operate own NTRIP caster for the modified data.

Sending the corrections to the Satel radio might be also worth considering, but havenā€™t studied what does it require at the transmitting end.

I use both options, NTRIP and radio. I have a 1W Satel radio at my base site.

I donā€™t understand why would you want to avoid a private caster and instead build some RTKLIB conversion to the cabin? If you had that conversion ā€œat homeā€, you could serve many tractors simultaneously with a single computer running RTKLIB. Saves EUREF server load and network bandwidth too (if you have multiple rovers).

Any findings on this or the other details would be of great interest anyway.

EDIT: actually the EUREF load is not that simple. A caster at home would likely run 24/7 while a rover or two combined would run less ours.

There are a few reasons why I would - in this case with just one dinosaur age system - rather put the RTCM transformations in the tractor cab and feed it to the receiver as an external modem:

1. No need for a mobile internet SIM-card in the receiver itself, when mobile hotspot would do the job.

2. No need to have an idle computer running a static ip or dynamic dna setup for the sole purpose of RTCM transformations and relaying.

3. With an EUREF station stream, I believe relaying to rtk2go would violate user agreements of the data and hence, rtk2go as well (in addition to having additional unpredictable downtimes).

4. Extra latency for the correction signal for one more message download and upload time.

As for the EUREF server load, downloading messages in the cab solely when working canā€™t be much worse that a dedicated computer doing it 24/7.

So for a single machine use doing all that in the cab and using serial would be better in my view. Also rather easy to make a plug and play system, if there was more demand.

1 Like

Do you know how can i use serial pins of agi-4? Sometimes i loose cell signal then the rtk, i have stefalā€™s rtk base and i bought long range loras but donā€™t know how to setup thank you.

So your cellular coverage is really poor? Would have been much easier if you had bought a Satel radio for the base (or a compatible one). Then just select radio instead of NTRIP from the AGI-4 configuration.

I have not tested the external modem interface as both internal modem options work fine for me but Iā€™ve made a not of the external modem pins when someone posted this at the thefarmingforum.co.uk forum:
Rx data, pin 11
Tx data, pin 10
GND, pin 9

In some fields yes very poor. I donā€™t know about costs but 35w require licence here. Do you know range of 1w within mountain and trees?

No line of sight? no signal, if there is some signal you can try external 4G antenna.

No line of sight, my unit has only 2g and 3g no 4g, can i upgrade or externally connect teltonika like aog?

https://devstore.premiercodeinc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=143

Is this compatible? I would rather build second AOG kit for that price and use some cheap external antenna.

Thank you! I tought it may die after 2g and 3g closed. I will check the 4g coverage but i think i will need an extra option to feed correction.

The cellular modem of an AGI-4 is outdated as it does not support 4G. 2G and 3G are not available any more in many countries. Iā€™m lucky that we have perfect 2G even if 3G has been mostly phased out.

An external 4G/LTE modem with a good antenna could be an option when used as an AGI-4 external modem.

Almost impossible to state any range figures for Satel modems for non line of sight conditions, pretty much the same for other radios. Need to test at your conditions.

Can you give me a link (aliexpress like) for the radio you using on your base? Iā€™m using stefalā€™s rtk base will it be compatible? I asked the price local dealer he said ~1000$ isnā€™t it too much? Can i use something like this or is it completely different thing SBB5089 + SHF0589 40Mhz~ 1200Mhz 2W RF power Amplifier For Ham Radio HF VHF UHF FM transmitter 315MHZ 433MHZ

My radio at the base is from Satel (www.satel.com). Honestly Iā€™m not sure where one can purchase these products, they donā€™t even list any resellers. Iā€™ve seen a few at eBay but not all are compatible.

The aliexpress product seems to be just an RF amplifier, does not include the modem part at all.

What model topcon screen do you have? With x25/35 you can use nrtip client in screen and just connect a modem via ethernet or a USB wifi dongle and Hotspot on phone.

1 Like

I have x25, are you sure about connecting via ethernet? I saw the ethernet socket but it only mentioned for remote help in the manual, if i connect teltonika modemā€™s lan connection to that ethernet socket how can i enter connection credentials? I have ā€œRTKā€, ā€œRTK (EXTERNAL MODEM)ā€ and ā€œRTK (NTRIP)ā€ options on the correction source.

Yes I am very sure as I have x25 running ntrip with teltonica rut240. You select rtk ntrip as correction then there is a ntrip source that needs to be set to console rather than receiver. Then on the ntrip page enter the ntrip login details as usual. If you canā€™t find the ntrip source setting you may need to update the x25 as this wasnā€™t an option in earlier software.

If you need to update you can get updates from mytopconnow. You will have to create a login Modus Communicate

1 Like

I bought wifi dongle and will test if 4g connection reliable thank you so much! Is it on 5x update with new themes, local dealer said me to stay on 4x version but they donā€™t even mentioned that ethernet port or wifi dongle ever. Did you use 5x?