Building an NTRIP RTK base station

Hello, what is the basics need to build an RTK ntrip base station ?
GPS receiver sending serial 0183 to a PC.
AgOpenGPS software on the same PC.
PC connected to the internet.
Setup the caster on AgOpenGPS.
Setup the RTK rover to same caster settings
There maybe a few steps I’m missing, can anyone help ? Thanks

1 Like

Hi
there will be no AGopenGPS on the base station. You can search for Snip (on Windows), RTKLIB or RTKbase (for Raspberry Pi).

Not sure what this mean, I use a ArdusimpleRTK2B.

0183 is just the standard NMEA serial RS232 communication protocol.
This would send a GPS position to the PC

Just googled ArdusimpleRTK2B. Is this simply a GNSS receiver ? Which connects to your PC USB or Ethernet ports ?
I see it receives GPS and GLONASS but does it receive any satellite corrections like EGNOS?

Centimeter level precision
<1cm precision with base-rover
<1cm precision with NTRIP corrections
<4cm precision with SSR corrections
<1.5m in standalone mode
<0.9m in standalone mode with SBAS coverage

Ready for SSR correction services
Get worldwide coverage over the air corrections to achieve amazing centimeter level accurcay without the need of a base station

Arduino, STM32, Raspberry Pi and Pixhawk ready
We thought about your DIY needs and we made simpleRTK2B ready to be connected with your favorite development board.
The board is 100% functional by itself and can be connected directly to Pixhawk autopilot to provide centimeter level GNSS.

Advanced configurations
Unleash your creativity with simpleRTK2B. It supports multi-rover configurations, moving base, …

Starting from only 172€
Check our online store to see all our products and starter kits with great discounts.
All simpleRTK2B modules are sold customized based on the customer needs.

SHOP NOW

Multi-band
Typical convergence times of modules based on:
– Single band RTK (NEO-M8): <60s
– Multi band RTK (ZED-F9P): <10s

• Reduces convergence time
• Increases ambiguity fixing rates
• Increases overall cm-level position availability

Multi-constellation
• GPS & GLONASS: readily available in L2C/L2OC
• Galileo: full E5b constellation by ~2020
• BeiDou: B2I available until migration to B2a

Radio link flexibility
simpleRTK2B can be used with almost any radio link: wifi, 3G, BT, LoRa, …
We offer 3 options: short range (BT), medium range and long range. Check our store to learn more!

Raw GNSS measurements
Read the raw data from the satellites without any post-processing

RoHS compliant

I don’t think you would want to use Egnos, but some ntrip from internet or your own base (could also be by radio)
Maybe you mean the European satellite system named Galileo?
Here are some info about Egnos from Wikipedia.
Similar to WAAS, EGNOS is mostly designed for aviation users who enjoy unperturbed reception of direct signals from geostationary satellites up to very high latitudes. The use of EGNOS on the ground, especially in urban areas, is limited due to relatively low elevation of geostationary satellites: about 30° above horizon in central Europe and much less in the North of Europe. To address this problem, ESA released in 2002 SISNeT,[14][15] an Internet service designed for continuous delivery of EGNOS signals to ground users. The first experimental SISNeT receiver was created by the Finnish Geodetic Institute.[16] The commercial SISNeT receivers have been developed by Septentrio. PRN #136 was placed into the Operational Platform from 23/08/2018 at 10:00 UTC and PRN #120 was placed into Test Platform from 30/08/2018 at 13:00 UTC.[17]

1 Like

Hi, looks like it’s accurate enough with GNSS only. The RTK basestations I am used to working with, receive GNSS and correction signal from a geostationary satellite also. It’s hard to believe that this has a good accuracy with no correction signal and no multi path rejection at such a low cost, but it must work.

Hello, I have my base station steaming NMEA into my PC serial port and I think I have everything setup in SNIP caster but I’m not getting an NTRIP connection at my rover. Do I have to use RTK2go as well as SNIP?

hi, what equipment do you have for base and what do you have in the tractor, then maybe I can help

Hello, I was trying to use a John Deere StarFire 6000 as a Base Station and send RTCM RTK corrections to an other John Deere StarFire 6000 rover fitted to a tractor, but I can’t get RTCM out of the StarFire base station to send to the caster

My knowledge is not enough, sorry

Do you have both receivers RTK unlocked? I don’t think it will work unless you pay $$$. You are talking about caster, You are trying sending over cellular RTK?
JD starfire 6000 specifications
You can built your own, interesting to see the price of theses!

1 Like

I’m not familiar with JD starfire products, the specs from the above link do not talk about the capability to build RTCM messages. Many, if not most GNSS receivers that are intended to be used as rovers, do not have that capability. Would be useful to know if it can, before considering further steps to use it as a base.

How much does the receiver cost? JD sounds expensive to me, does it make sense to use a JD receiver as a base?

1 Like

Hi, yes both StarFire’s are unlocked to RTK, but it looks like it will receive RTCM messages but it won’t send out RTCM messages (to be used as a base station). But It can be used as a base station for Radio RTK with a John deere RTK radio, so I think I will need to use something else as a base station. A JD RTK receiver costs around £6,500, but is super accurate and reliable.

So what would be the best GNSS receiver / antenna be to use as a base for good reliability and distance. Am I correct in saying a lot of the base station GNSS receivers mentioned on here come ready to connect to a windows PC via USB, then all I need to do is setup the SNIP caster ?

I think something based on the F9P is best value but if you want a more robust industrial receiver, the Piksi Multi eval kit has a nice dev board for their receiver. I use it as my base, sending to another Piksi Multi rover and a F9P rover. The eval dev board has ethernet, supporting two of each (UDP clients & servers, TCP clients & servers) two UART and one usb micro. It’s GNSS antenna has a built in ground plane and is more of survey grade antenna. But the F9P offers just as good accuracy for a lot less money.

3 Likes

Sounds good, where is best to get a Piksi Multi eval in the uk ?

1 Like

From in Canada, I had to order direct from Swift two years ago. I’m not sure what your options are in the UK, they might have a dealer network setup. The eval kit might have more then you want, take a look at their site.

I would entertain the idea of selling my 2nd piksi multi.

1 Like

Hello,

I actaually use an farming RTK Signal.
I want to build up an own Base Station and feed my Rover also over Internet and an own NTRIP Server Client. Can some one help me to Start.
Regards, Peter

1 Like

Hi .
We are ESPrtk team.
Right now you can create yourself an NTRIP CASTER server with only ESP32 here.
Hope it will help your work.

2 Likes