20 Auger EN 10v
21 ? 3.1V
22 Header emer stop 5V
23 n/c
24 n/c
25 Chassis GND Common - All switches pull down to this when pressed
2 Likes

Hi,

I hope I am not wrong here, but could you tell me how to run and connect a cmotion handle with an arduino, in a way that I can read the forward and backward motion as a serial signal?
I have recieved a Claas Cmotion lever from the Jaguar 9xx models.

You would help me immensely with my university project.
I am researching haptic feedback in agricultural control interfaces and want to use the signal to control the feedback.

The forward/backward position will be read by a potentiometer in the armrest, below the handle.
It should be fairly simple to read the position from that signal, although it may be 0-12v instead of 0-5v, so you might need to use a resistor divider to tame the signal into something the arduino can safely read.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply,
is this the connection for the potentiometer by any chance?

If so I will probably just 3D print something to connect it to an arduino potentiometer.

Looks like it yeah

Has anyone tried using the factory valve on a 585R. That one has an accumulator with a pressure sensor that I think activated the flow to the valve. It’s an open center system. Any pointers would be great.

1 Like

The valve will be a bang bang(on/off) type. AOG really needs a proportional valve to work properly. I wouldn’t bother even trying on this machine. Fitting a proportional valve will work much better.

My challenge is fitting a proportional valve in this open center system. Are you familiar with Lexions system? The steering seems active at all times while the rest has a master to activate it. Would you put the valve in the steering system or in the other. Would the limited flow of a proportional valve block the flow in the rest of the system or does it by pass the remaining fluid?

I do know a bit about the Lexion system. You are correct there is a master valve for the working hydraulics. This needs to be powered when a function is activated so there is pressure available.
You could use an opencentre baraki valve in the steering circuit or in the working hydraulics between the pump and master valve block like Outback do see these instructions https://outbackguidance.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360018025494/EDX-L400__PN_911-2042-000_Lexion_Combine.pdf
If you put any valve between pump and orbitrol or master valve make sure it has a relief valve as there isn’t one in the pumps.

It absolutely does work with the stock valve! I’ll post details when I get to my computer later, but I’ve done an install on a 570, upgrading from laser guidance. There is an orifice in the steering lines so it is still controllable despite being a solenoid valve

1 Like

Hey I appreciate that!

So you’ll need to access the main backplane in the ‘gun cabinet’ outside the cab.
Pin 7 from connector MR is WAS_PWR (5v)
Pin 8 on connector R is WAS Signal
(^^ These pins are in opposition to the workshop manual. Proceed with caution and test your pins first!)

Then on connector A9 (rear of the autopilot module):
Pins 7 & 20 - 12v feed from the autopilot safety switch
Pin 18 - Steer enable button on joysick. 100 ohm pulldown to ground when pressed
Pin 12 - Solenoid coil Right
Pin 13 - Solenoid coil Left
Return from the solenoid coils is pin 3 on connector R

A relay was used to send 12v from A9 pin7 to A9 pin25, which goes to the diode board that controls the master valve Y77. The arduino code was modified to use a spare output, such that whenever power was being sent to the coils, this relay would activate too and bring the system up to pressure. Don’t bother with the pressure sensor!

Essentially just cut thee wires from their connectors and then connect your box to the relevant ones.

Note that I can’t help with modifying the ‘standard’ AOG boards for this purpose. See my other posts for the CSEQ Technologies Box2 that I designed specifically to have 3 PWM outputs for hydraulic applications.

Montana 570 Electrical.pdf (171.9 KB)
Document_105711_001_en.pdf (151.1 KB)

Thanks I will pour over this for a while. As far as the valve you are just feeding it a variable voltage from the cytron?

It’s a solenoid on/off valve so a variable voltage would be useless. Give it 12v for on and 0v for off, in AOG terms that would mean setting minPWM to 255

1 Like

Thanks for this @CQuick - just looking at converting a laserpilot today - the PDF shows pins 8&9 on the A9 module as having 5V reference and signal, are the R/MR connectors still necessary (I wondered if perhaps the Montana manual had been updated or something) ? Did you use the common gnd on pin2 for WAS and board/cytron etc? No issues with electrical noise or anything?

Hoped to work this out today, but combine was in the field and it was torrential, so didn’t dare open the cabinet.

I can’t remember exactly why I went for the connections on R and MR… It was either more convenient, or I couldn’t find the actual pins on A9.
The combine I was working on was a bit weird and I couldn’t square the wiring with the manual. It was a Montana I was working on, so the manual should’ve been correct.
I think I used a single point ground for everything, maybe I took a second ground from the A9 connector. No particular noise issues, but I was using my own PCB which has a heavily damped RC filter on the WAS input (about 300hz frequency response).

Ah Ok, thanks for the response. This is a UK model (tho I got the info from the Montana manual), perhaps it’s slightly different. Will see when I dare open the cabinet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you still have the pinmap file available?

Sure!

cmotion handle pinmap.xlsx (9.1 KB)