CMPS14 Compass

BNO08x

BNO085

CMPS14

descarga

3.3v//SDA//SCL//GND

Wich is better? That’s the question… It’s same chip with diferent firmware, people are testing for that question

1 Like

No. It has the same firmware. CMPS14 has an onboard microcontroller to produce a directly readable output, so you don’t need a library for the arduino to read the Hillcrest format. BUT it is stuck in one bno085 mode, and not the best one IMHO.

I need a sensor for my second autosteer project and it will be another BNO085.

1 Like

@Alan.Webb had you tested both the 055, 085 and cmps14

No. Just the BNO055 and BNO085. The cmps14 sensor is a BNO085 in rotationvector, as confirmed to both myself and @Math by the manufacturer. If that wasn’t the case I’d perhaps try it.

I’m not saying don’t use it, just that it is of no interest to me personally, given it’s obvious limitations and potential complexity of installation. If in the long run someone confirms rotationvector is somehow better I can simply use it on the BNO085. But it’s stats are worse than GameRotatioVector and GRV isn’t affected by emf or metal objects.

In rotationvector I can upset the BNO085 pretty much as you can a BNO055 and with rotationvector plus calibration on I have replicated once the dreaded BNO055 drift.

…and I don’t want that again. I’ve got the dodgy maize stubble as a reminder!!

1 Like

So what’s the bottom line?
I’m building my first board for hopeful use this spring.

Do I use the cmps I have here, or order a bno085 ??

Use what you’ve got. If you are using the standard PCB they don’t go on the board anyway so nothing to loose.

If you are going to have to buy i2c extenders to mount the thing then it’s another story.

Thanks.

Do previous aog versions work with cmps or do I need to wait for the current oone under development?

What are the problems of Cmps14? I have it inside the box of my pcb, I did not see any issue related to the mode in which is set up.
I see a great performance improvement in motor stability, no more fast rotation.

That’s fine and I’ve used the BNO085 in that mode successfully.

BUT I used the BNO055 successfully for many many days too.

Fast rotation shouldn’t happen anyway. I never had it apart from in fault conditions even with the BNO055.

Yes, just a small alteration to the arduino code. I’m not sure quite what is happening with the next version regarding IMU’s. I think it is going to be separate from the main PCB but sure it will be just an alteration of the setup.

1 Like

From my observations, it is not the PCB V2 box that causes CMPS problems, but the location of the box in a specific place on the tractor.

1 Like

Exactly. It is EMF producing things that upset magnetometers. Hence why I didn’t put my motor controller in the pcb box near my BNO055. The issue is, if you want a neat installation, finding somewhere free of EMF’s, accessible and that is also well hidden can be tricky.

1 Like

My experience with the CMPS14 is, plug it in and use it. Worked perfectly.

And the code is super simple.

1 Like

Hi Brian Tee. Can you help me? I don’t understand English it’s very hard to understand through a google translator. How do i connect kmps14 and what ino code to use. Thank you very much

Hi Brian Tee. Can you help me? I don’t understand English it’s very hard to understand through a google translator. How do i connect kmps14 and what ino code to use. Thank you very much!

Aidas,

When you scroll back a bit in this thread you will find the INO (attached to one of Brians messages). Connecting the CMPS14 is same as MMA.cmps14 mma8452

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the advice, I find that code, but I don’t understand where and how to add it code

The code in Brians post is for testing CMPS14 alone with a Nano or another compatible arduino board.

To make it work with AOG download and unZIP the ino found in post 63 or 64 from Vili just above.
It is the complete usb ino with all the other necessary files also in the ZIP.
Edit: You use the files from this ZIP instead of files from the normal support folder found on github
Edit: If you read here after 24 april 21, then go to post 259 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try. translating into english translates it hard. Thank you

1 Like

Hello,

Interesting. Can you share some results about your tests ?
Different place on tractor tested ? Effects on CMPS ? Potential source of disturbance for the differents places ?

Thank

Math