Dual GPS output format for AOG

I just got the position and heading from the dual antenna into AOG. I also can get roll and heading from the Brick

So if the Brick can be got rid of what is the heading fusion done with?

getting there
Max

if you have a dual system with heading ā†’ no fusion is neededā€¦

the bno05 does not work good for roll because it does self calibrationā€¦

if you can not use the roll from the dual system ā†’ better use a mma8452q to calculate rollā€¦

Aoernerā€¦You are very helpful. Thanks for your adviceā€¦Max

Hello, do you have a description, that I can test it.

If you contact Clive here he can make you one. sourcer32@gmail.com I just bought the device from him

Max

What did you buy from him? Who is Clive?

I bought a ublox dual receiver/antenna system that outputs position and heading @ 10 hz. This system basically give you a good heading estimate.The system was based on Ardusimple boards.

Ok, I have two F9P, so I would need only the config and how to wire, ā€¦

The BNO is a heading device that helps the shakey single antenna value become more stable. The MMA just does roll side to side.

Dual antenna however accurately with 2 positions can determine your exact heading - even when standing still. like having 2 feet on the ground you know which way your body is pointing. There is absolutely no need for the bno when using dual.

Using the elevation of each antenna, you can now determine which is higher/lower and can determine the roll of the vehicle - which way it is leaning. The wider the antenna are apart the more accurate the heading and roll. Ships are very wide and long so can be extremely accurate but a tractor as well can be quite accurate by moving out the antennas as far as possible.

Neither the BNO Brick or the MMA are required when using a dual antenna system.

Many thanks for that. Your explanation make things alot clearer . I did get the dual antenna data into AOG last night so I am making progress. PCBā€™s arrived from China today so we are cooking. All I need now is a short circuit.Lets hope not
max

1 Like

Hello, do you give the know how of your heading?

Hi Franz
I do not know the details of how it is done as I bought the system from Clive. In fact he made it for me. He programs the radio board and I just plug it in and use it. I do not want to get into the nitty gritty of every aspect of this project. I suggest you contact him to see if he can take your boards and return to you a working system. He will of course charge you for the pleasure

Max

Hi, Max
Maybe Iā€™m wrong, but all things here are open source, that mean
from one for all free. When you want Infos and someone earn money
with it, itā€™ not OK for me.

Dear Franz
Maybe I did not explain the situation correctly. Lets look at it like this. Every part I buy for this project cost me some money.
The Brick, the PCB, the motor driver, the gps boards, WAS etc etc. I do not have the skill to produce a dual antenna gps device myself, so I bought one, just like any other part.
As I did not have the expertise to make one and I still do not have the expertise now I can not show you how it is done either especially the programming. I can not get at the code as it is burnt onto the radio board.
Bearing in mind the above I suggested that to contact the man that made mine. Alternatively you can contact Ardusimple as they have a similar product.
I am very sorry I can not be more helpful. If I in the future I do gain the expertise I would of course offer it for free.

Regards

Max

1 Like

To add to what you have said, open source and more specifically ā€˜free softwareā€™ may well be gratis, but not exclusively. It is fine for someone to recoup their costs if they so wish and even profit, however it is always free . Free means free from restriction. You are free to inspect the code, copy, distribute, modify then distribute without restriction.

In that respect the code Clive has sold you is not open source or free software and he has no obligation morally or otherwise to allow access.

2 Likes

You said it better than I could

The commercial product from other sources on the internet is minimum $2000. He will provide a solution for much less. However people need to contact him not me.

I am still getting use to this new forum so maybe I missed something, however I would really like to build a dual antenna system and cancel out the use of a brick and Dog2. Can AgopenGPS read UBX input yet? If not what would need to be done to make that happen?

It does not read ubx, and so you would have to program that yourself, and please share the code if you do, would be a nice addition!

In regards to ā€œfreeā€, well said Allan, Open Source software provides the vehicle to have paid for services, like PCB, setup, GPS antennas, etc. Linux is free as well, but that doesnā€™t mean you have to give the fridge or dishwasher away just because it uses linux inside in its OS.

2 Likes

just check my code which includes a parserā€¦

or you can use sparkfuns arduino libary

(and if you look into commits and issues you know how hard it is)ā€¦
(this was mine - and it was a big one : checkUbloxI2C() should return 0xFF Ā· Issue #26 Ā· sparkfun/SparkFun_Ublox_Arduino_Library Ā· GitHub)

there is big difference between dual heading and normal ?