Free cloud CanBUS decoder

It’s not the receiver that runs of the VT, it is the setting interface you see.
Normally most tractors will have the WAS, Steering and AUX valves, armrest buttons etc run of the tractor can.

If you have a autosteerready/isobus model there is a tractorbridge ecu. This connects the vehicle can bus to the isobus. On that bus most GPS systems send their data.

Who gets to read WAS, control steering etc over the isobus is decided by the manufacturer’s tractorbridge. Deere and Agco are pretty picky and only allow certified partners to control steering.

I said the receiver can be run through a VT, meaning the same as you say. Except that the VT is not only for settings, it also has the normal work screen, coverage mapping etc.

I did not know that the inputs and outputs to/from isobus devices are different depending on how the manufacturer decides. I guess you bring this point to say that CAN is different. Or even if manufacturers do not voluntarily give control via CAN, at least you are able to hack the messaging and can take control? Sounds like weak control, but the weakness would be for the benefit of open source projects.

Honestly I would not care if tractor control was obtained by direct CAN access or via the isobus stuff as long as some experts were able to implement that and share.

is that really all in the receiver, or does the vt pop up your screens, coverage mapping etc. when a gps receiver is connected? like deere’s command center etc

The Isobus protocol is standard (there are a few versions) but also has proprietary messages as part of that standard. Besides that you have to register a device on isobus with vendor, name, type, etc ,etc.
So the tractorbridge can decide on a combination of these(registration/proprietary) if your device gets access granted to control the tractor(mostly can j1939) and to what extend.

I did some trials and got even more errors on this topic, time and testing resources are also a factor. Anyways if something useful comes up i’ll share it

If you have the schematics for your tractor the armrest is an ECU in its own right so if you can find the connector to the seat and disconnect this and on the schematics find the power\ground and CAN lines you can power up the armrest independent of the tractor and log the CAN messages away from the tractor from here you can then get the messages you want to modify once this is known. I would then try and get hold of the male and female connectors between the arm rest and create a link harness with the CAN BUS going out to a gateway where it has 2 CAN channels and then connect the other channel to the tractor and get the gateway to forward all messages in normal mode when not in normal mode AOG sends a signal to the gateway and it then stops forwarding the message from the button on the armrest and sends the modified message from AOG pretending to be the armrest.

2 Likes