Front to BAck Dual Antenna

Is the esp32 acting at the AP? Any idea if matt has been able to force a packet transmission instead of letting it bunch them up?

Maybe wifi broadcast is a way to go for one way stream of data.

In my code the ESP32 can log into an existing network or after this fails (adjustable time) it creates an Access point.
In one system I drive with this Access point, where the tablet and the section control logs in.
I know, some routers create timing issues, but with my rut955 it is not a problem.

Have you added any special code to make the wifi work better than normal? Does your router have any special settings to help with this? Does anyone else successfully use Matt’s code with a different brand router?

I’m using the dualgps and Autosteer ESP Codes from matt. The Autosteer ESP is my AP where Tablet and dualgps ESP log in. In my Case the WiFi seems to work without any Problems. Even better than the USB on the other tractor. Drove the last 3 days with it and WiFi never made trouble.

Got my setup installed to tractor today, next step testing!

Some pictures in my other thread:

@darrenjlobb very neat JD project, @MTZ8302 @BrianTee_Admin and others. Fascinating thread and rather late looking into AOG. Re the side slip heading offset to true direction, surely this is no different to the bias of a magnetic heading, so could be treated in the same way. I have not checked the code but assume there is some Kalman that fuses the roll pitch and heading of the gyro to the GPS calculated heading. So why not fuse the dual antenna heading with the calculated GPS heading to take out the side slope heading bias? Maybe I misunderstand the setup but I assume if you use a dual antenna for roll and heading you dispense with the AHRS? The AHRS could still be useful though if AOG is doing interpolation faster than the GPS update rate,again I am new here so not sure if that is being done or necessary. For instance rate of change of heading, if used, might be more up to date from AHRS compared to a calculated from GPS heading, but I’m guessing the system just uses steering angle instead, but what about tracked vehicles where there is no steering angle? Sorry if some of this has been covered before.

After sleeping on the problem of sideslip with dual antenna due to crabbing, I think it should not be a big problem as the PID should take out the bias with the integral term. So I think losing the internal AHRS in AOG should be OK, provided the higher update rate of the internal AHRS and lower latency is not needed in the software. Pitch should not be a great contribution to errors as its mostly in line with the direction of travel (except during curves) and pitch should be lower than roll due to the geometry of the tractor having longer wheelbase than width, at worst it will intruduce some noise into the forward speed. Well this is all theoretical, I am hoping to get some hardware built to test out. I have the stable F9P(single antenna) base rover setup so far.

MTZ 8302 could you post a pin diagram for the jumper wires on the ardusimple boards. Im finding it kindave hard to tell in pictures for sure which pins to connect.
Thanks Fritz

Easier to just look at the pin assignments so you can see what needs to go to what…TX1,RX1, TX2, RX2 etc

Is there anyone else in the UK using Dual antenna?

We are having quite the headache with my setup and at the moment cant get to the bottom of it…

When using Matt’s code, I have it “working” in that, it drives in the correct direction, and the heading is always correct, but it wont drive a straight line, just waves left / right and makes a mess… vs sf3000 (no rtk) will drive pretty much perfect line…
But now working with Franz to try and get his code working, but with his, on 4.3.10, we cant make it drive forwards, it just drives left / right, even if driving straight ahead… heading is always correct / arrow points correctly, but position drives sideways… Same setup in 4.1.12 works…

Any thoughts?

Sorry for not having a documentation that is worth the word, simply still coding to chase the last exceptions. Yesterday a hemisphere problem came up.

For pin assignment it might be the easiest to look in the first 50 lines of code, there is a schema of it. Principally almost every pinout will work. Don’t use 6 to 12.

Andreas is testing ready boards to stack the Ardusimples in. If he is done with the test, we may get a recommended pinout. But at the moment he uses a different code not running on esp with no filters, exceptions… for testing

1 Like

The PID is only P as there is no I term :frowning: so the problem will exist.

Intriguing idea to use the dual as an “imu”. That has got me thinking a bit…

OK. I would definitely recommend an integral term to take out bias on slopes even without dual antenna. So if I understand correctly are you just replacing the Kalman heading output with the dual antenna heading output and keeping the gyro/IMU/magnetometer. Without trawling through the code I am not sure exactly what is going on, what is the basic calculation interval? is it just the GPS update rate?
Maybe there is a control system overview that I can look at?

There is no kalman on the heading, just a fix to fix calculation x meters back (settable), or the heading from vtg, of heading from dual antenna. Fix to fix and gps heading can also be fused with imu heading for stability.

The pwm loop runs at 25 hz, AOG sends new data at which point the Arduino immediately sends back its data. I would also recommend an Integral term - just haven’t got it working any better then none at all.

At a speed of 10km/hr or 2.77m/sec with a rtk gps update rate of 10hz for position that gives a new position every 27cm. If this is the case i can not see how the control algorithm can be so accurate. I think that you do some data fusion with the IMU in your code. If so is the output rate of the gps upgraded by the IMU data fusion?
I would think that a update fused position of 100hz would be required to allow the control algorithm to get you down to 2-3cm of error
Please let me know if this view is correct or not
Regards

I will over the next week or so try to get your dual code working on my system. You have done a lot of coding well done
I see from the code that you can select the orientation of the dual antenna to be inline with the tractor or transverse to it (for roll)
I prefer in the line of the tractor so i can have a longer moving base. If done this way i assume the dogs2 can still do the roll.
If using dual antenna then the brick2 is of no use unless you use it to fuse the gps data for a higher output rate
Regards

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNSOxr4PSciINyHM5kxGFapz-nPzBhdBjeO3uK0
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMjidxMTpsKvAiAXKZTYDoJsq4HIhSrBpyBV4E5
I started the project with 2 antennas and it is not going well …
I combined as seen in the pictures.
I uploaded INO to the ESP32 board (I can connect via wifi and open the web interface)
I loaded the configuration with github MTZ8302 on every F9P.
I have set the USB data transfer in the code
Poor effects, no GPS data in the AG.
After enabling debugging on the serial port monitor I only have this:
nǔ…
WLAN-Client-Connection failed

Accesspoint started - Name : GPS_unit_F9P_Net
IP address: 192.168.1.1
NTRIP UDP Listening to port: 2233

UDP writing to IP: 192.168.1.255
UDP writing to port: 9999
UDP writing from port: 5544

What else is missing?
Is it enough to load the configuration on F9P or should I additionally manually enter the settings according to MTZ 8302 recommendations?
Edit
After enabling debugging I have this:

UBX RelPosNED found
UBXRelPosNED flag heading: NOT valid, checksum OK; sentence NOT used
UBX RelPosNED found
UBX RelPosNED found
UBX RelPosNED found
UBX RelPosNED found
UBX RelPosNED found
UBX RelPosNED found

I’ve made a lot of progress.
I have GPS data but the angle is missing and the course behaves strangely In which direction not to turn the arrow on the screen is oriented all the time, i.e. when I go sideways the tractor goes sideways. :frowning:

New config files on GitHub, the 1.13 PVT had to less messages.

Hope this will solve the RelPosNED flag prob