NTRIP Only vs Base Station

You will get an Ntrip base for 200, which is still a bargain. Trimble would like to get $20K cdn for a base with built in Caster. To buy commercial corrections over Ntrip here is $1200 per machine / year.

Still need one other for board for rover

1 Like

Ntrip is just a means of getting the corrections to the rover. As is radio. It has no bearing on the accuracy.

4 Likes

Argh, you’ve said this twice now, so I’m obviously missing something you’re trying to tell me.

I thought that NTRIP was the RTK service, is it just the carrier for that service?

2 Likes

Base station can transmit corrections over radio or internet (NTRIP). Using single F9P with NTRIP in aog is just using someone else base.

If you have close enough base station on rtk2go sub 25km you don’t need private base and there will be little difference
in accuracy so its just cheaper to use existing one.

In long term is it better to have your own base if that one goes offline and it’s only base around.

3 Likes

Ntrip and radio are just the methods of transporting the rtcm correction data.

2 Likes

The big benefit of ntrip over internet is the ability to have many base streams able to be picked from the caster, and have many managed users with unique log in credentials.

With just a static ip and port its much more work to boot those who do not pay for access, or abuse bandwidth.

2 Likes

Yes. :+1:

2 Likes

Very interesting topic.
Your comments have clarified in detail about NTRIP BASE and NTRIP CASTER.
Just re-uploading Darren Lobb’s test video with his NTRIP Base and AGOPENGPS.
He used F9P +ESP32-ESPrtk+W5500 ethernet.
(Click to view )

Read more : Blog – AOGPENGPS tractor + NTRIP RTK Base Station Project (ESPRTK, SimpleRTK2B, NTRIP , Ethernet) by Darren Lobb – ESPrtk Homepage

Haha, I just realised that the clue is in the name, so NTRIP is the protocol for RTCM corrections delivered over IP.

Cheers Alan.

And just to answer my own question, a local physical RTK base station is preferable to NTRIP because you cannot guarantee that public casters will be available when you need them… as I recently discovered.

4 Likes

So do agree if we use two f9p modules, one set up for base station and one set up for rover. Then use long range telemetry radio’s, with a range of 45 kms.
Would not this be a more simple GNSS fixed setup

That could be, depending on your circumstances. Things like hills/trees masking parts of the farm from the base transmitter and licenses for broadcasting on high power radios may be issues. Fortunately we have several different ways to chose from for achieving the same end.

2 Likes

Agree, perhaps for the new player a base station and rover might render confidence. Also having a backup base station may prove vital, should there be any issues with NTRIP

And base is most effective in 25km radius 45 50km away is too far you will lose accuracy regardless of correctons transmission way radio or NTRIP.

1 Like

Your uncertainty is +-7mm + 1mm/km

Is ntrip base to rover a good setup?
Pros zero setup, multiple bases possible from one caster, uses cellular
Cons, low flexibility of base locations, correction streams and datums set by provider, cost if commercial, uses cellular.

Base radio to rover
Pros base and rover see same sky, lowest correction latency, possible to run high rate corrections, using benchmarks

Cons, base setup time, radio link stability, syncing to datum if required, more hardware.

Ntrip to set site base then radio to rover
Mostly the same as above but easier to sync to datum.

Cellular to radio
Pros lets you use that one good spot to relay the corrections locally, with less setup
Cons need to leave the relay running, so may tie up a pickup if not portable

There are many more creative ways to move correction data, the best one is the one that gives you your desired accuracy with the least hassle.

While that is true, I use NTRIP exclusively with my base station at this time. I don’t have my antenna mast yet, so the best way to reach my entire farm is to have my base station push rtcm to rtk2go.com, and then use my phone to patch it through bluetooth to the tractor receiver. I do have occasional problems when rtk2go drops my base station’s connection sometimes, but other than that I haven’t had any problems with rtk2go. I would prefer to not depend on rtk2go, but for now it’s fine.