Powering board with LAN is missing

It is said using UDP is a step forward for AOG usage. It is said Ethernet is much better then USB. I believe it, but if I change to UDP I see problems following: I need a LAN hub/switch. This needs a power source. I also need a power source for the arduinos or esps, f9ps I want to use besides the pcb2 (and were powered over usb before). This all needs additionaly space in the cabin. So what do I miss at the most? A compact diy pcb (solderable like the pcb2) that delivers 4 Ethernet Ports, stabilized power source of 19, 12, 5, 3.3 V with enough Ampere, with a main on/off Switch. The board should get powering direct from tractor battery. Is something missing? But it might have to be more then just a pcb-board, it has to be a good over all concept also and doable for farmers. I am afraid, I can’t do much more than saying what I think is use- and helpful, and starting a discussion. What do you think?

I agree. I am just changing over to udp, and have to power a switch now. I did buy a netgear 5 port switch that is 5v, and I have a 5v power supply for esp32 and rtk radio. Now I have to solder in another connection. Tablet is running off of a 19v supply. Would be great if all these power supplies could be on board. It’s getting crowded in my box. I could envision where direct soldered components could be a lot more compact and cleaner in the enclosure. I’m wanting a pcb for dual antenna like Andeas has to stack above or below autosteer board also.

If you have more than one AOG system, should this board be moveable from tractor to tractor (maybe like like the tablet) or installed fix on the tractor?

It is so inexpensive to build a board compared to OEM systems, I’m putting systems in everything. With AgIO, it will be very convenient to move your tablet, as all of the steer settings are in the vehicle, as far as I understand. I think we would still have to send configs to steer module in some cases. I have a tractor with WAS on the right side and one on the left, so my was has to be inverted. But that takes a whole 5 seconds to do. There are too many connections to steer box to be convenient to move it around in my opinion.

I believe you’ll have to load vehicle/implement settings each time but all the settings should be saved in AoG.

For the different power needs it would be practical to have room on the PCB for ready made modules like the lm2596 step down converter and an OSKJ step up converter. In a UDP build it would be ideal to power the satellite boxes (GPS, machine control) through PoE. I have seen small switch modules delivering power through passive or active PoE. Another option is to take the PCB out of an existing standard PoE switch and integrate (glue) it in the steer box.
The disadvantage of moving all these functions to the steer box is that it will need al lot of connectors…

If we are going to use a single device (pc to aog) do we need a switch? Let’s do a cross connection.

cross-baglanti-ag-kablo-EthernetRJ45A

Would this be one single rj45 connection for everything ?
If we had a board like Andeas’ for dual GPS with headers on it, and AOG board with pin headers, just like with the dual stack, we could stack the AOG pcb on top of dual gps pcb, and power with one 12v input, plus send NMEA out to the udp port on AOG. The 5v power supply would have to be big enough for AOG plus esp32 and 2 f9p’s, and I use a telemetry radio for rtk that is 5v as well. This could be a very neat, compact setup.

Would need another udp jack for machine control.

I currently design (not yet published, still fixing design faults, new iteration is needed) a set of PCBs that uses passive PoE.

Design: a small Switch takes care of the input protections (reverse voltage, over voltage …) and has a small PTC-Fuse on each passive PoE port.
The other PCBs just take that <= 20V with a small converter to generate the needed voltage on the PCB. So Data and power can be transmitted over one single connection.

Would have preferred “real” PoE (802.3af/802.3at/802.3bt), but that would have increased the complexity on both sides (Switch would need large step up converters, additional management ICs, also for the powered PCBs additional circuits would be needed). So after thinking about it, I thought it is not worth the effort.

I found Netgear SOHO GS305 5 Port Gigabit Switch. It needs 5V/0.7 A, max 2,15W. grafik
Above is PCB2 - autosteer schematic. There is a 5V out connector. Would it possible to power the switch this way?

That is power from a 7805 converter on the pcb. One powers the ads,bno, and mma. I think the other is power for cytron and 5v out for maybe dogs2 . I’ll try to find the max output for 7805, I was wondering the same thing. I am using the netgear gs305. But I need 5v for rfd900 radio also. Wish we could have one regulator big enough to power everything. Mma will no longer be on the board in the future I think
Edit
Sheet shows 1A

7805 is a linear regulator, it is released as 12-5 = 7 volts of heat. It heats up even at 200mA, it would be best to use a switching regulator (lm2576 etc.) but there will be a little noise.

It shows 3A. Would it be suitable to power esp32 and rfd900 radio without problems, or would it need a filter of sorts ?
Edit
I’m using a buck converter now, and works fine other than its bulky. Haven’t added ethernet switch to it yet