RTK Base Station Project (ESPRTK, SimpleRTK2B, NTRIP)

I don’t know if that’s because you send too much information to rtk2go.com. Mine has been up for nearly 15 days now and has sent 715 mb. Mine sends the following messages: 1005,1074,1084,1094,1124 and 1230

AFAIK 1230 isn’t necessary because the f9p will automatically correct phase biasses for glonass.

Thanks for sharing this Darren. I have been using wifi ntrip master on an espduino but am having connection stability issues so may move over to a similar system. Hopefully ethernet will be better than wifi.

Just a suggestion but you may want to accurately determine the position of your base station using the free OS satellite data (as I think you are in the UK?) rather than surveying in. Data is provided here:

but only with 1 hour delay so a post processed solution is necessary. Full instruction for that can be found here:

Hello. Do you need to configure the f9p module with ucenter or esprtk?

I used Ucenter , but you can do either. But basic settings, will work out the box with ublox “base config” file to be honest…just check your port is correct

Hi @darrenjlobb
Really nice base station you’ve got here. Thanks for sharing. I would like to reproduce it.
I agree with you, going with the WiFi NTRIP Master from Ardusimple doesn’t make much sense to me, an ethernet connexion is definitely more reliable and should be preferred for a setup as static as a base station.
To allow me to reproduce your system, could you plesae share a schematic of the whole thing? Also, do you have the references of the modules you use (in particular the ethernet module) ?
Thanks
Valentin

I recently modified someone elses code for a wifi based NTRIP server on ESP32, so that it instead uses the standard Arduino Ethernet Library (So it works with an Uno and an Ethernet Shield V2). I have got it to connect successfully to RTK2GO, but I havent been able to test the RTCM data stream yet (I have installed my base station in the shed, but not yet layed my ethernet cable!).

If anyone already has the hardware and wants to give it a go my repository is here: NTRIP_LAN_Client_for_Arduino

Again just to emphasise, I havent actually confirmed if this works 100% yet!

2 Likes

Hi @woody_matt
This seems to be a really straightforward setup with shields neatly stacked on the arduino uno. I am really interested (it would avoid me to have to rebuild the whole ESP32 ethrnet setup, aka this circuit https://esprtk.files.wordpress.com/2020/02/esprtk-3.0.0-3.x.x-block-connect-suggest-to-other-devices.jpg?w=1196).
I’m waiting for your feedback on this setup to decide between ESP32 and arduino. Good luck !

All the info as you have found, is on the esprtk site…its a bit of a job by the time you get it all wired up etc, but has been up a few months now, and still up / stable…

That’s right. I found after a bit of research that there is plenty of information on this page Getting started for beginner - ESPrtk -ESP32 RTK to set up a ESPrtk system from any ESP32 board and an SPI ethernet module. However, the arduino solution of woody_matt seems easier to implement and looks promising. There is basically no wiring, only stacked shields. I will wait for his conclusions before buying any hardware

Hi
I have made my RTK base with a Ardusimple simpleRTK2B plugged in a Raspberry pi4. I use u-center and a windows computer to configure the Ardusimple board then I plug it in the Raspberry. The raspberry run on raspbian with RtkLib str2str.

Hi @Valentin

Sorry for the delay in my response to you. I havent been able to lay my ethernet cable yet, but I have bought a TP-Link TL-MR3020 multipurpose access point and a 3G dongle to add a temporary internet connection to the ethernet network in my grainstore.

I have had to switch to an Arduino Mega 2560 (albeit a cheaper clone), I found the single hardware serial port on the Uno was not enough (using software serial and ethernet shield together doesnt seem to be reliable at all!), and the program stability on the mega seems much better, I think I might have been having memory issues on the Uno.

You can see the status of my ntrip server here: http://rtk2go.com:2101/SNIP::MOUNTPT?NAME=ArduinoUnoRTCM

I have added details of the hardware and setup I have used in the github repository: GitHub - MattWoodhead/NTRIP_LAN_Server_for_Arduino: An NTRIP Server suitable for use with an Arduino Mega and an Ethernet shield (Note the name change from Client to Server - Doh!)

Hello @woody_matt
Thank you for the update. I think I’m going to go with your solution. It looks stratghtforward. It avoids having to build complicated circuits like with ESPrtk on ESP32and also avoids having to go deep in RTKLIB on Raspberry Pi. In short, it looks simple and I like that.
I am going to buy the required hardware and give it a go. I’ll come back telling you about it in a few days.

@Pat maybe the RTKLIB configuration is not as hard as I believe it is… By any chance, did you find an online tutorial showing step by step how to set up an NTRIP server on linux with RTKLIB ?

1 Like

I started a new tread for this
RTK base with a Raspberry pi4 and SimpleRTK2B

1 Like

Hello,
I want to build up my own Rtk base via Internet and NTRIP Server. How is the best way to start :slight_smile: can you give me some hints?
Regards Peter

in my opinion the best solution is here Fabriquer une base RTK - Centipede RTK

2 Likes

I did It and now available on centipede. Works great, effortless ! GREAT JOB and BIG UP to RTK BASE and Centipede :ok_hand: :heart:

Thank you so much @darrenjlobb for your project. It look great !

We have a good news.
Right now you can create yourself an NTRIP CASTER server with only ESP32 here.
Hope it will help your work.

Do you have any pictures how everything gets hooked up and maybe a video on how everything is config?

1 Like

No pictures or video but here is my tread:
rtk-base-with-a-raspberry-pi4-and-simplertk2b
You can post there if you have more questions.

But since then there are other great alternatives like:
RTKbase for a raspberry
and
espRTK like in post 30

1 Like