Steering angle sensors

HONEYWELL RTY???HVEAX
??? = Angle (090°,120°, 180°,…)

Supply voltage: 10-30V
Signal: 0,5V to 4,5V
Connector: AMP superseal 3 pin
Datasheet: https://www.tme.eu/Document/2acad72f2f16b84b914d4564ba823eff/RTY_series.PDF

Outside of all HONEYWELL RTY sensors is the same, only angle and supply voltage make a difference.

1 Like

LandRover RQH100030

quite cheap, comes with a set of connected rods.
Angle: ±45°, Zero 90° relative to the connector (both sides)
Supply voltage (Pin 5): 5V
Signal (Pin 4): 0,5V to 4,5V
Connector: AMP Micro Quadlok 6 pin - Pin 1 for GND
Updated with the information from @Alan.Webb and @MortenP

RQH100030
Supply 5v.
Signal 0.5v to 4.5v.

Delphi ER10031 Pinout (Looking from the top of the unit, connector facing the rear)

• Left Pin: +5V supply

• Middle Pin: Signal

• Right Pin: Ground

1 Like

Princess auto headlight cover lifter sensor (2012 Camaro) pin out:

• With tab up

• 1: +5V in

• 2: signal out (low V at rest)

• 3: -GND

Toyota / Lexus headlight level sensor: Koplamp Level Sensor Voor Toyota Tacoma Mazda RX 8 Lexus RX350 RX330 ES330 IS300 89406 53010 89407 48020 89407 48010|Hoogtesensor van een voertuig| - AliExpress
And mating connector: Sumitomo 6189 0027 3 Pin vrouwelijke Rijsnelheidssensor Automobiel Connector Verzegelde|connector seals|connector 3connector female - AliExpress

It’s just a potentiometer so I used -GND and +5V in on sides and middle as SIGNAL-OUT.

Any one know of a small linear position sensor. I think for my purposes it would be easier to work with
I found ones online for £200 ti £300 but that is a bit steep for a linear potentiometer.
regards
Max

Anyone know how a person would put a steering angle sensor on a New Holland 8970A that has supersteer…( axle turns a little with the tires)… :s Would it have a factory sensor I could tap into maybe?

Does the ‘supersteer’ part of the steering move with every steering input or just when the steering goes over a certain angle?

If it does move with every steering movement I would think you could just fit the sensor on the ‘standard’ part of the steering and it should be fine. If not, it might mean two sensors and modifying the Arduino code a bit.

1 Like

I have an 8670 supersteer - but i haven’t put a steering angle sensor on it yet. It looks like it should be fairly straight forward as the travel/steer is smooth (ie no dead-zones/parts moving independently). Actually fitting the sensor i can see why you’d be apprehensive - there is a lot of travel. Hopefully shouldn’t be too hard to overcome, either by having a sensor that has a lot of travel/length, or there are some parts at the front that don’t seem move as far out of line eg:

• tie-rod and axle
  • the ‘chin’ of the tractor where it passes behind the weights frame.
    (some pictures if anyone is curious)

I’d strongly doubt that there is any factory sensor available - unless you can see some wires coming back to the cab. There isn’t a factory sensor on the 8670 models.

1 Like

Maybe you should try something like this (pictures). Mowe the sensor to adjust the center and range of the sensor reading. Pictures tellSensor_Mounting_2 more than . . .Steering_Sensor_Mounting

1 Like

Welcome MylArti. Easy way to mount sensor. The advantage is that you get more counts pr. degree at the middle(going straight) and les counts pr. degree the more you turn.
To get better linear reading you should mount the sensor almost over center (on top of grease nipple which could be altered to a 90 degree grease nipple)
If possible turn topplate 180 degree or drill new hole for the pin bolt.
After some time I would suspect wear between pin and steering censor bar, so maybe a spring to press the bar to one side of pin.
With spring you can use a solid bar without the slit.

1 Like

Hi Alan
I bought the RQH100030 for the WAS and it has a connector like the enclosed picture
It has 2 rows of 3 pins.
bottom left to bottom right is 1,2,3
top left to top right 4,5,6
I am buying a connector however what is the function of the 6 pins as I was expecting only 3 pins
regards
Max

IMG_3055

From telegram Alan wrote this:
5v on pin 5.
Gnd on pin 1.
Signal on pin 4.
I’m using the same, it seems to work although I haven’t mounted it yet.
EDIT 2022 LarsV: Found pictures for BMW in this link

1 Like

Thanks that works very nicely

That pinout took a bit of finding too as a land rover company (that google finds easily) who sells connectors for them were actually documenting in some considerable depth, completely wrong pin outs. That had me thinking the sensor was useless for quite a while.

I eventually got it by looking at the wires on a pre wired plug picture on eBay.

Hi Max,
angle sensors can be put in 3 categories based on pin count:

• 3-pins - single angle sensor with ground (GND), power (VCC) and 1 signal connection.
  • 4-pins - semi-redundant angle sensor with two separate potentiometer tracks. Same connections as before, but with an additional signal from 2nd track. GND and VCC is shared by both potentiometer tracks. And both potentiometers work in opposite directions - when one has VCC than other has GND signal and vice verse.
  • 6-pins - fully redundant angle sensor. This type has two fully separated potentiometers in it. So it has 2x GND, 2x VCC and 2x signal connections. And both signals work in opposite directions as in 4-pin version.
    :wink:
1 Like

Many thanks for the information. What you sat makes perfect sense
Max

The RQH100030 is a hall sensor or possibly a pizeoelectric.

Oh god, the Ackermann steering is horrific in those supersteer machines. Maybe you should install your WAS in the middle of the steering mechanism rather than at the wheel. If you are planning to do U-turns or curve lines it would be nice to have WAS at the middle joint or in the tie-rod so the Ackermann steering does not affect so much your WAS value.

Greetings. Ossi

2 Likes