Steering angle sensors

I find it a bit odd to try to reduce the supply voltage noise issue and then use a noisy switching regulator.

I use a normal linear 7805 for WAS power.

Are you powering the WAS, or is the tractor oem harness?

Any drift in the WAS power you will see in the output numbers, and it will be a lot. You’ve unfortunately made the internal voltage reference irrelevant.

I present how to mount the steering angle sensor on the MF 5455. Now when the acerman adjustment is available in V4, such installation is easy. A piece of m18 screw, 30mm thread + 35mm fi 8mm. The hole in the cover 10mm to make it loose. In the fender support from the bottom I enlarged 12mm but not quite so that you can insert a refinement O-ring.20200418_194541 20200418_194550 20200418_194421

4 Likes

Hello everybody,

Maybe a stupid question but most steerings work with a hydraulic cylinder. Why not use a linear sensor mounted parallel to the cylinder. Stroke woulde be same in both directions.
Using a rotary sensor which weel you use as reference, the one with small angle or the one with large angle.

Regards

1 Like

Many at the forum already use linear sensors. I guess cost and ease of installation are the main decision factors.

The linear sensor gives a symmetric signal but not an accurate wheel angle signal. Probably good enough but a rotating sensor installed with good geometry may give a more accurate angle to sensor reading accuracy. Both are likely good enough for most applications.

1 Like

Care must be taken if mounting directly to the cylinder as most have a piston that is free to rotate.

1 Like

Really well fitted sensor. There are a lot of implementations that may well work nicely when set up but the first sizeable lump of clod that lands on them will knock the setting to christ knows where!

Hello,

In this video you have an example of an linear sensor installation:

Be carreful, depending on your steer geometry, the hydraulic cylinder can have a different displacement when you turn left or right. I have the case with a Fiat tractor with a steer geometry using 2 separes cylinders.

Math

2 Likes

Here’s how I installed the turn sensor on the NH T5

Here is the stl file for 3d printing on 2 bearings 6202 (15/35) fits RTY sensor

1 Like

Thanks for the stl

Hello everybody,

looks to me that Delphi ER10031 and RQH10030 are very common.
RQH10030 would be easier for me to purchase and as I understood correctly it´s the better one using hall sensors???

Is somebody sure about the angle?
Is it ±45° or complete 360°

I need something around 50° each direction. May Delphi is the better choise.

Thanks

1 Like

The ER10031 has around 120 degrees, so it would fit for you.
Don’t forget to order the connector (plug) as well

I used them both,

The RQH100030 is better available and cheaper, often sold in pairs. Mechanically it has 360° free rotation. However the effective range is around 110° (0,5 to 4,5 V).
When you use the attached connection rods the working angle translates to a linear travel of around 185 mm.

Does anyone have a part # for a plug for the Landrover RQH100030?

I have used this one.

trying to fine tune the steering, and noticed in the steer chart that the green line (set point) seems very erratic is the normal? I would have thought it would be a smoother line. The tractor is driving in a very straight line and not much oscillation in the motor. just wondering if this normal or is my WAS sensor to sensitive or something else wrong?SteerChart

Have received my RQH100030 and connected like described above Pin5 5V, Pin1 GND, Pin4 Signal.
The turning radius is about 60° and not 110° like told by SjaakA.
Voltage is between 0,46V (-30°) and 4,13V (+30°)
Is it a bad sensor or did i connected wrong?

Thanks a lot!

This is how it looks. If you have a small deviation of the set angle from the real one, the graph shifts to a more accurate range and you can see this noise with larger changes in the angle, the line will smooth out. WAS looks stable.

Strange, I received a corona-delayed shipment from aliexpress this week, sensor is identical to previous.
Your connections seem to be OK. No magnetic influence?
Effective range is between corners on long side of sensor (see black markings, 107 degrees apart to be precise). DSC_0008
Maybe your sensor is bad??

Got a pair of 2 pieces. Both are identically nearly 70°.
Seems there are different sensors available.
I my case the 110° is the not measured range.