Steering angle sensors

AHH so I think you are measuring ohm! (10K potentiometer)
Put 5 V on vcc and GND to GND on the pot. Then measure V on the output (between GND and output) Should be between 0 and 5 V (edited) for a full 360 turn.
When you connect that to ADS 1115 you have the counts without mapping.
Only mapping needed is if you want to adjust ackermann , but that is done inside the AOG v4

So right you are!!! I had done the test wrong so much that I couldn’t see any other way. Thank you much.

Ray, where are you installing this pot? Is it for actually measuring steering angle at the front wheel?

Would really recommend to use the Range Rover height sensor, and to not use the Arduino A/D convertor, but rather the ADS1115.

I got the Range Rover sensor but I can’t make it work (because the travel over extends the linkage). That’s why I went to the sensor I linked to above. The hole on the sensor is mounted over a filed off nail (to give the flat spot) which is JB welded in a hole drilled centered on the pivot point of the front wheel. It’s going to be nice tomorrow, so I’ll grab a picture. I’ll also report if it woks or not.

I am using the ADS1115, and the PCBv2.

AOG is going to steer this lawn mower for drilling hols to plant trees, spray around them, water, mow who knows what else. Tomorrows pic will help explain.

Reed, looks like a rare machine as nobody seems to have personal experience.

I wonder if the WAS sensor would need to cover 180 degrees, I assume you would not let auto-steer drive it at that angle anyway. Still you should use a free rotating sensor (or at least more than 180 degrees of free travel). Honeywell RTY series hall sensors cover even 270 degree models but a typical 90 degree model might be good, even better than 180. I think Kaupoi possted photos of a Honeywell sensor installation.

Do you have spot at the top of the front wheel support for the sensor, perhaps running directly from the support axle?

Picture of my WAS looking straight down. You can see the steering arm that rotates shaft that the wheel is attached to. The wheel can turn 60 degrees each way. This a 4 wheel steer.

WAS on mower

2 Likes

Just be aware that you “only” have 1/3 (120 degree) of your 5 V for 360 degree, from max left to max right.
You could get a AS 5600 instead, to get cheap full 4 or 5V reading at 120 degree. Remember to select a magnet also, good description on this site.

Found a vid on the AS5600 and you are right - much better alternative. Are th magnets special? If so should I get the hollow or solid? I’ve got some 1/2" and 3/8" magnets on hand if thy would work.

Thanks

I would get the hollow one, but I am sure any good magnet will work.
Make sure that the sensor can´t move “sideways” over the magnet, as that would ruin the precision.
I guess it was the programming video you watched, so you did you notice that first time programming of working angles, can be done by connecting wires on the sensor, after that it must be done over SDA SCL / I2C

How much of a trick will it be to hook this up to Brians PCv2?

If you use the analog output from AS5600, it is same way as your pot. 5v pwm and GND
In the video it is programming Option B 3-wire mode, starting at 2.05 minuttes

1 Like

I got the AS5600 sensor and have it wired up as Analog. Are the sample programs set to be used as I2C?

Do you know what style 3 pin plug the delphi uses

Someone did post a link one time, I haven’t been able to find it back. I ended up taking the Delphi with me to a U-pull junkyard and looked through a bunch of GM vehicles until I found a 3 pin plug that fit. I ended up having to bend a pin so it would fit. I’d just solder straight to the pins and fill with silicone.

Oh yeah, I did ask at a GM dealer and they were selling them for $40. (More than the sensor itself)

I found the link AgOpenGPS | Page 146 | The Combine Forum

2 Likes

Hello

Math

1 Like

I bought these. Were recommended somewhere but I had to cut part of plastic off one side so would slide in. Otherwise worked pretty good.

Hi Math,
I apologize, i think these plugs do fit!

Hi Peter_S

I don’t know why you apologize, but yes sure it fit :grinning: :
Inked20191227_094946_LI

And no need to cut any plastic part.

Math

Hi Math

in an earlyer post (wich I’ve already deleted) I wrote, that this sensor does not fits, and that’s not correct.
I thougth that, because i had some struggles with plugs a couple of weeks ago…
Cheers!

grafik

I have a question about the honeywell sensor.
The LV Variante is ratiometric. Correct me please if I am wrong, that means if supply voltage isn’t stabilized then output isn’t stabilized either. That is why steering pcb board has own stabilized voltage regulator for WAS.
The HV variante is non-ratiometric. Means this, it is totally unrelevant what the supply voltage is (10 to 30 V) or if it changes/ is not a stabilized one? ???