V5.2 Teaser

After reading most of these posts, I’m curious, because it seems like most Aog users run some kind of Imu with one antenna, does it improve performance or stability over a Dual Antenna System?

Cela ameliore grandement la stabilité. Effectivement

Dual always better, but single is more cheap

2 Likes

In terms of smoothness and performance, the GPS on its own uses only the wiggly fixes to calculate heading.

GPS + IMU helps smooth the heading value and also corrects the GPS position when going on sidehills. The IMU drifts from what it thinks it should be so the GPS keeps telling it which way the correct way you are actually heading.

Dual GPS - always has a true heading and roll from 2 antenna.

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

In the machine-usb-code for nano from Mathias is simple rate control included.
Is there any chance it can or will be integrated in the new program, or do you have to use the seperate rate control-app. (Which is to complex for my simple needs.)

That is a good question, I will find out more about it.

I’ve noticed, in V5.4.6 in the Arduino menu the option button and switch is inverted.
So if you pick button it works like a switch and the other way around.

The problem is button or switch don’t describe what actually happens. It is more connect and release to make on, connect and release to make off - OR - connect on and release off. Just pick whichever works for your application and if not correct pick the other one. The help for that button describes in more detail

what we really need is a rename of the 2 functions

1 Like

Well i put in the mma in the v5 .ino. Roll works. But in the IMU i get numbers from -1250 to 1350 plus. Is this the heading??
And makes my screen like crazy when i run autopilot haha.

Greetz Ray

Momentary Switch or Maintained Switch

But I found using a Trimble foot pedal that is Normally Closed Momentary switch, the connect and release “maintained” worked for it strangely.

I have not used 5.4.6 but in my opinion “switch” is latching/toggle (flip on & it stays on) and “button” is momentary (push on, push off). What’s your view on the names?

That’s the word I was looking for. I think that Momentary and Latching, would be the clearest terminology. Possibly the easiest to translate.

1 Like

Yes, that’s also how I understand it, but if I pick button in the Menu it acts as if a switch is connected, so if you connect a physicals button and press it, the autosteer turns on for the time it was pressed.
If you then pick switch in the Menu your physical button works like it should. Press once and it stays on with out the physicals button staying latched.

I agree with you.

I think the issue with understanding the “button” problem is this type of switches on many tractors.

On this type of tractor you would press the button and it stay down, but in many electronic sketches a button mostly does not stay down. My tractor has this type, but I do not think of it as a button, but as a switch. I believe this thinking is induvidual for each of us :slight_smile:
Electronics could use one like this: Push Switch Tactile Momentary 12mm 7 Colours Round Breadboard Arduino PCB UK | eBay

AND then we have the “Button Switch” often used together with on/off for many of the AOG PCB types
I think this is like the one often used: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Latching-Button-Self-Locking-Self-locking-Control/dp/B07G14P46C

@BrianTee_Admin @Larsvest @Hansdampf @PotatoFarmer @m_elias

I apologize in advance for running the show here, but the correct engineering terms for switch functions are momentary/maintained. In the USA anyway, read on…

Latching is the technical term for contacts (usually a relay) that are driven by a coil and held by mechanical (or electrical) means. There are manufacturers that have latching switches, but often they will have an auxiliary electric coil or special purpose features that makes it a non-standard switch, more of a relay than a switch. With this said, it seems like EU has somewhat of a tendency toward momentary/latching for normal switches.

Google for momentary vs maintained - About 6,750,000 results (0.55 seconds)
Google for momentary vs latching - About 2,270,000 results (0.51 seconds)
Now Google is biased per user location, it would be interesting if somebody from EU ran the same tests.

The switch terminology issue was something I was going to bring up sometime as it was really hard for me to understand switch/pushbutton. A pushbutton is also a switch… Since I have ordered switches for a bit of different applications, I think in these terms:

Switch function: momentary, maintained
Switch style: pushbutton, toggle, rocker, lever, slide, rotary

If you are still reading my rant session, double throw momentary switches are defined in datasheets like this:
(on) off (on)
or like this:
mom off mom
or like this:
(mom) off (mom)

double throw maintained switches are listed like this:
on off on

of course, it is expedient to also list definitions like this:
on-off-on
but I assume most readers will understand spaces and dashes mean the same thing, they are just a separator. I used double throw switches here for clarity, as AOG typically uses single throw.

3 Likes

Using so much time in a definition of a switch can only mean that the rest of the system works quite well. :smiley:

5 Likes

System DOES really work well, but the button/switch never has.
I could not get the meaning of Button/switch from the INO three years ago, but accepted the use as is.
And the question has come up very often, when a new user enter AOG.

Vili

with yous genious graph skill
is there any chance to place a pictogram in place of text like this idea :

and

1 Like

And pictograms beside the diagram here in Manual, explaining how AOG use the terms.
Which is probably why it can not be easily changed. The terms is already used thousands of times in program!

Even put this small part of Brian´s text in manual about switches :
Just pick whichever works for your application and if not correct, pick the other one.

From what Brian wrote above: