Valtra 8550 hydraulic autosteer project

Yeah I took it out after trying out. The ball shuttle valve in the PVG valve body is working very fast so no problems now!

The big thing was adding the deadband so that the valve works as it’s intended regarding the LS line vent to tank. I guess this is very much dependent on the valve design, spring force vs coil force.

@baraki next install I’ll try the Atos setup you have. Seems like a good combo. For this one, I’ll still add the safety on/off valves to A/B lines instead of a 6/2 way. Easier to install (at least in this case) and then you have the protection for steering from the orbitrol shock valves when in autosteer mode.

Bit of an update to the system, changed the valve driver to PVEA-CI and driving that from Kaupoimodv4 pcb with a mcp2515. Bno085 IMU with the tare fuction used so that the PCB can sit in an angle.

Needed to crank the steering pressure down to make the valve behave. Now it’s a compromise so that manual steering gets enough pressure and autosteer isn’t too aggressive. Should replace the PVB valve body with a version that has a separate control for the LS pressure or put a on/off valve to the pressure line. Now both steering pressures are limited by the PVG relief valve.

Next step is upgrading everything to CAN, already have the WAS and pressure sensor (STW M-01) or then try out wasless…

image image image

4 Likes

Finally got to real work and did a bit of fertilizer spreading with the setup, seems to be working fairly well, maybe some adjustment to the steering parameters for Stanley/PP but the steering is following the target value spot on. The pressure compensated valve works very well regardless of soil moisture, duals etc.

Have a new PVB valve body on order that has an individual LS pressure adjustment, so should get rid of the final steering pressure problems.

Hi Nut,

I’m with an hydraforce SP10-57C, i have the symptoms of delays and overshoot (which comes together I believe). I do have a throttle check valve and it does work ok when i do a test on static on soft ground or front axle up!
anybody heard of this hydraforce valve: (SP10-57CF-0-N-00). The F stands for fast (or min. lap) ?

What is the benefit of the danfoss or Atos (baraki’s way of doind it ?) The current necessary for it ? I do like the hydraforce for the small required space necessary.

You mean you have a check valve in the LS line? What kind of delay, it’s not following the target angle? Probably too low min PWM

As for Danfoss, it’s all about the closed loop control, there’s a displacement sensor on the spool so you always get the same spool movement with the same command.

yes, I have a throttle check valve between the orbitrol and the Hydraforce prop valve on the LS line.
Well, if i “close” the throttle check valve i do have a reactive steering but i can hear the hydraulic under load (which means warming of the oil) if i do loose it up, well, the steering is less reactive due to the amount of the LS signal needed to change the priority check valve sending pressure to the steering/brake flow circuit.

As for Danfoss, it’s all about the closed loop control, there’s a displacement sensor on the spool so you always get the same spool movement with the same command.

So you can have a better “standart” start /max PWM ?

Very nice :+1:
It seems to be a lot of parts in this Danfoss valve
Do you have the parts number for your assembly?
Try to figure it out on Kramp.com today but i’m not sure if I get the right parts

The throttle check method works very well, but not with every priority valve. Oil flows from the LS line priority valve towards the orbitrol, in some valves the nozzle is very small and the leakage is very small and with these the control works very well. If the nozzle is large and the leakage towards the orbitrol is large, steering this way is problematic. I am a bit surprised that you have a problem with Valtra, I made a few pieces without any problem. I deal with excessive leakage mainly at JD. Or is the priority valve worn out? Do the test, unscrew ls from the privet valve, direct the oil into a bucket and see how large the leak is.

I’m installing PVFC valve to replace the PVG internal shuttle valve. The only problem left is the pressure shocks to the LS line when spool goes to neutral. I think is due to the leakage flow being completely blocked when the PVG is working.

This valve one in the converted config on page 4. That’s how it’s done on OSPE / EHi valves so should work, we’ll see. Port 1 goes to orbitrol instead of tank and there should ve a constant leakage flow

1 Like

I think adding a little leakage to the Ls on the Ls line from PVG would solve your problem.

Might be, but I would need to put an external shuttle valve then in any case, as I’m now using the internal shuttle and it’s impossible to put a bleed into the LS in the PVG valve body. So I’d need a shuttle and then a bleed orifice with a tank connection.

With the PVFC you have a constant flow to the orbitrol (which it should have) in all conditions and I picked on up for around 60 eur at a spare parts retailer so not too bad priced either.

Deleted as you already have the pdf I just saw

So, finally it’s all working 100%. Installed the PVFC valve which made a huge difference in the steering. Still needed to replace also the PVG end plate to the non-LX connection type so that pressure doesn’t get trapped behind the shuttle valve. The 10 l/min spool has plenty of flow and the autosteer is very powerful even with the duals and the heavyish Front-Tiller on the front linkage.

Some of my substandard camera work here :grin:

Next winter’s project could be electrohydraulic spool valves and an electrohydraulic clutch so the thing could do some harrowing on its own. Maybe drive the headland manually and then let it do the inner bit of the field autonomously.

3 Likes

I’m bad with hydraulics, so here comes the dumb question: It is noted that it should only be used with other danfoss, would it improve on an hydraforce system ?

Might help, depends if you have problems with pressure buildup in LS line, that’s what it’s made for to allow for the constant flow from priority valve

I’m not really certain about the LS pressure but if do tighten the throttle check valve, there is a build up pressure and i can hear the engine “moaw” a bit, but if i loosen it too much, steering is too slow… can you draw a schematic of your installation ?
Thx

Like so:

Where exactly do you have the throttle valve, I’m still bit puzzled?

this way, without the possible shuttle valve… I have to adjust the throttle check valve for best performance, works great on my 8150 hitech but not that good on my T163 Versu… :thinking:

Ah, now I see. Yes, it will work if the flow from the priority valve is not too high. That’s probably the issue on your T163, when you restrict the flow enough for the LS pressure to rise from autosteer, the orifice is too small for the leakage flow and you get LS pressure rise even when not steering at all.

You can’t use a shuttle valve there with the 57C valve as it doesn’t vent the LS line to tank when in neutral. In autosteer you’ll get constant pressure in LS line even with spool in neutral. Same goes for the PVFC valve. You need a spool that vents the LS line to tank in neutral, like the 58 series from hydraforce.

Would it be possible for you to list parts and do schematic on how you have installed this? I am planning to do the same on T190 Valtra so it should work the same. I’m just a bit lost on hydraulic side of things.

1 Like