WAS on John Deere 6x30 7x30

Hello to all, i am currently in train of see again my installation for the sensor of angle. Because this way not works not correctly. Is-what someone on the forum has already installed one sensor on one john deere 6x30 or 7x30?

Thanks to those who answer me and sorry for my rough Englishimage

Here’s 6920S…
20181214_134004 (Medium)

…and 6630.
20190417_094750

Thank you very much for your answer. Did you calculate a precise angle for the mounting plate or did you do it at random?

You could look at this post.

1 Like

I used a ruler.

Any advantage is mounting to the hub at the end like @Kaupoi over to the end of the Ram rod?

Need to mount my sensor up on my 6630 at some point soon.

What WAS ar eyou using @Kaupoi

Edit1: Answer to ThomasM in his first post!
All the suggestions are good. But the way you have it mounted from start should also work,( Edit 2 : There is no Ackermann effect, when mounted as you have in top picture) Question is : is your sensor mounted so you have 2.5 V in the middle (when driving straight). Also the sensor must not go outside it’s measuring range(measuring angles) when whells are turned to left or right. So you must find max possible angle (normally 0.5 V at one side and 4.5 V at the other side)
Edit 3: In the autosteerpcbv2.ino there is this statement, have you checked that your WAS result is positive when turning right?
#define WAS_Invert 0 // set to 1 to Change Direction of Wheel Angle Sensor, must be positive turning right

Mounting to the hub eliminates Ackermann effect.
WAS with Ackermann steering - #3 by Kaupoi
As WAS I’m using Honeywell RTY90LVEAX.

A problem you may have with this setup @ThomasM is that the ram is highly likely to be free to rotate, twisting your linkage.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
I will give you some news about my installation. I finally image installed the sensor this way. I plan to install a kind of roof over the WAS to avoid earth splashes

2 Likes

I wonder how watertight the sensor axle seals are. Would it make any difference if the sensor axle was pointing up or down? In the car the sensor axle is horizontal anyway, not possible as a WAS.

No idea. I’m going to make a protection against earth splashes. But against the dust I will see with use. and to clean the tractor I will dismantle this sensor

1 Like

I couldn´t find any good picture (of all parts) online of the bracket that Hardi Kverneland and others use. But for inspiration on how to make a strong lever for a sensor, look at page 12 to 14 in this SBG manual.
file:///C:/Users/Lars/Downloads/Installation%20Manual%20-%20SBGuidance%20Onland%20Plough%20-%20EN.pdf

I would think, looking at them, these sensors are pretty good at keeping out water. Under a wheel arch I would think there are strong air currents in lots of directions.

Mine is actually horizontal and retains it’s full LR linkage.

The connector that fits these is available on ebay.

Do both of these work equally well @Kaupoi ?

Need to come up with a mount on my 6630, am using the landrover sensor, Just trying to get my head around the ackerman effect, and what I need to aim to keep the same lengths / angles to make it work the best…Should the length of both arms always ideally be the same? IE from sensor pivot to end of rod, and king pin to end of rod?

Both work well, but 6630 is a bit better. Linkage should be made the way that almost whole range of was is used.

I drew out the sensor and it’s arms on a cad package. Could just as easily have done it on paper. Circles at each pivot to show possible movement. I drew both extremities of it’s measurement and also centre position. I then drew a line with a centre mark to represent the steer ram travel. This could then be moved around the drawing so that the centre and both ends landed on the arm arcs.

This probably doesn’t make much sense but I’ll try to post my diagram. It might help explain and might help someone. I didn’t draw it with the intention of it being useful to others!

Sensor pivot is the sensor itself. Knuckle is self explanatory. The suffix letter is it in it’s left, centre or right position. The green circles are the swing of the sensor’s steel arm. The red line is the length of the ram travel with travel centre marked. Basically I moved the red line around so the left end sat on the left position circle, the centre position sat on the centre circle and the right position sat on the right circle. On top of all that I tried to make sure the knuckle angle deflection is reasonably balanced L-R. The measurements told me where to fit my sensor in relation to the ram travel (Red Line). It’s not geometrically perfect but it’s not far off and it works just fine with AOG.

Guys, what about retrofitting the AL150206 JD sensor as described starting page #18 of this manual? http://amsretrofit.deere.com/johndeere/retrofit/_www/files/pdf2/pfp11201_19_28sep114.pdf
Is it worth the money getting the components from the JD dealer? At first glance it would seem easier even if not cost effective … Worth mentioning however that I have found no datasheet for the AL150206 WAS or any data about AgOpenGps compatibility specifically if the output is in V or mA and needs to be converted.

Would certainly be an option, what is the cost of all those parts for angle sensor? Probably not actually to silly… I did consider it, and then just decided it would likely end up being pretty expensive vs the 20 quid land rover sensor! But would certainly be much better protect etc. I imagine the sensor will be suitable, 0-5v, as most of deeres feedback sensors are this way…