Wheel angle sensor zeroing in v4

Ok thanks Larsvest, I will try that. I did notice while bench testing in AOG that one way all 4 WAS were saying about -188 degrees one way and 195 ish degrees the other so maybe that is why I am out. But I will go see if I can easily mod my sensor bracket to electrically center.

One of the princess auto sensors I had was off center to center if that makes sense, it was pushed to the right a couple degrees (past the notch on the under side)

Yes for sure, put it on the tractor, have the wheels pointing straight (as possible) forward, then adjust the WAS so it puts out 2.5v.

Because it maybe goes farther one way or the other, the pro installation would suggest to use the longer direction as the wheel turns the longer way of the two based on ackerman angles. But if you get to use most of the range of motion, and then use the ackerman setting to even them out, that’s a win!

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks all, it works now!

1 Like

Hey there, I am no programmer by any means, could someone guide me what cs.-file I have to modify with OPs code snippet to get that extra slider (with OPs functionality of course)? I have the same problem with not enough range and rotating the sensor is no option in my case… Any help would be great, many thanks in advance.

If you cannot reach 0 with the slider there is a value you can change in the autosteer ino.
In the top of the .ino are the instructions:

/* 
   *  Wheel angle sensor zero point...
   * 3320 minus 127 = 3193. 1288 counts per 1 volt
   * The 127 (half of 255) is so you can take WAS zero of 3320 
   * from 3193 to 3347. Zero from AOG is sent as a number from 0 to 255. 
   * Leave at 3193 - Only change if using a factory OEM wheel angle Sensor
   * Put your wheels straight forward, adjust WAS physical position
   * So it puts out 2.5v. Do a good installation!
   * Factory WAS - Wheels pointing forward, measure the voltage. 
   * Example 2.2v - So, 2.5 minus 2.2 = 0.3v times 
   * 1288 counts per volt = 386 counts. 3320 - 386 - 127 = 2706.
   * So your new WAS_ZERO is 2706.
   */
  #define WAS_ZERO 3039 
1 Like

Thank you,

I tried that many times but appearantly it didn’t make any difference (yes, I uploaded the sketch onto my arduino :)) I read somewhere (don’t remember the thread…) that Agopen will use a standard value and overwrite the value in the .ino (granted, it doesn’t made much sense to me). Can someone confirm or refute this?

Thank you again

I stand corrected if I’m wrong but if it is value in the Arduino code, I cannot see how AOG could change it unless it downloaded the full ino, not just parameters. Why would there be a parameter if it made no difference?

Did you also compile the modified code before uploading?

This is just to bring the zero angle from the wheel nearer to the center.
So you have to drive your tractor straight then measure the voltage on PCB between WAS high and GND or LOW.
Your voltage x 1288 -127 should give the WAS_ZERO value according the formula.
After that you should be pretty much in the center of the slider.

This value will not be overwritten.

2 Likes

The WAS zero is saved in the Arduino memory (The WAS zero at the top of Arduino program + the setting sent from AOG) and is only done when new steer settings are sent from AOG.

So if you change the slider and can’t get to center, you change the Arduino program , reload it but then remember to move the slider again to send steer settings and only then your new number will be read.

Hope that makes sense?

This is how I do it:
Counts per deg = 10
WAS center slider = 0
Drive straight as you can, stop and read the current angle (say 12.70deg)
So now you know you need -127 to get to zero - the slider will just work.

If it was say -23.56deg then you would need +235 to zero so just add that to the number in the Arduino program, then move the slider side to side & back to zero it should then be zero deg.

Once to have the zero sorted then hold on hard lock and adjust the counts per deg so it displays around 35deg (or what ever your hard L / R is.

3 Likes

Thanks, I somehow managed to get it to work. Guess

So if you change the slider and can’t get to center, you change the Arduino program , reload it but then remember to move the slider again to send steer settings and only then your new number will be read.

did the trick.

Many thanks

Hello,
How do i know when to use Single/Differential Mode? I use my own WAS, what schould i choose?

Regards, Peter

Hi
if your WAS use the same ground than your PCB you use Single Mode.(your case probably)
Differential mode is for applications where your not sure if the grounds are the same.

Ok, i under stand! The Problem i have changed my System to UDP, since that i get no Was Signal from Arduino, but the Check SUM is green.
The Last 4.3.10 UDP Autosteer Arduino Code is used.
Does someone has the same Problem?

Regards, Peter