3D Flags with notes

When we drop a flag now in AOG there isn’t really a way to note what is there or see where the flag is from a distance. A nice feature would be to be able to have the option to label a flag so that we could navigate back to it later.

1 Like

In the ABC program, the flags were removed. So needing them I added back a flag of sorts. In the attached picture the yellow flag is the dropped flag and the white flag is the resume point. the stipple line follows you and will take you to the resume point. The job log in the left screen shows the lat and long of the dropped flag. You can click the job log and type in it. It saves the info. A work around for sure, but with my limited knowledge of programing, it worked. The white flag actually flashes on off on every second.

Dropped%20flag

2 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking of! Nice work.

Thanks, I don’t play golf, but it looked like a 1980’s golf video game to me. But, it worked well in the field. We had a bad hurricane down here and there is still stuff in the field. My goal was to flag it and come back and get it before cutting the hay. You can walk right to it with nothing but the tablet and the gps over your shoulder. But getting the helper to actually flag it did not happen. The other reason I thought we needed it was to mark if the pump was acting up. But again, the help has to care if the pump is acting up.

Another thought at the time was to automatically text the GPS location to someone in a ATV and they could just click and go pick it up. I never carried it that far.

1 Like

There is a technique called billboarding where you put a texture of the flag you want on a quad and rotate it so it always points to the camera. The tricky part is making it work in both 2d and 3d.

How does the flag this way look when viewing from the top?

Dots and blips. Nothing special. just has a line going back to the resume point. I think the Raven you point at the base of the flag and then it would give you options. My thought was click the flag and it bring up a little window or panel that you could type in and save it in the flag file.

Here is the piece of code that I used to draw the flags. The time just flashes the resume flag based on the processing speed. Far better ways to do it but I was just learning the C#. Not much further along now.

flag.txt (2.6 KB)

flag%202d

1 Like

I added a field log panel to the mix. This does not show up until you hit the little pencil icon in the lower left. It will record flags, tool on or off, when it was saved or opened. You can type in it and add whatever you want to the field log. It creates a file in the field directory that you can open in word or any other text editor. I do not know how to move this to latest file. I have not found an easy way to copy panels and they still work. I’ll try to upload the project and maybe someone can copy paste if you need it

Using Brian’s sort, it could sort by reading the last line and know when the field was last accessed.

2 Likes

Neat I’d love to add this to my setup. I wonder if there’s a way to add the text to the .kml flag file.

The flag.kml file uses and ID number to write the name. This can be edited in the KML file to create a label in google earth. Currently this is an integer. Thinking of a click to edit name (ID). But it may be best to have a separate file with descriptions. Below is the edited KML in google earth.

image Flags.kml.txt (737 Bytes)

The code to add the golf flags is below. This is in the Nov 24 update. Should work in the latest. Just may not be in the exact line number.

Golf flag.txt (1.5 KB)

1 Like

Here is the field log forms. Maybe someone can github it and import it the “easy” way. This is a zip file just rename and delete the .txt and it should unzip.

Forms.zip.txt (366.1 KB)

Playing around with flag text. Image below shows a panel that displays when you click the flag. You can copy and paste out of there. I have not included the file save feature yet. Still working on it. This was Brian’s latest as of 11/29 with the billboard flags that show the ID number.

1 Like

This would be great to add to the new version. Can you zip the whole project and paste? We can delete it later as it would be quite large.

I was finally able to do a github fork. I found that I know nothing about github. But I think this code is posted at

The save text is currently not working. You can copy paste out of there. Might just turn the save button to not visible at this time. In order to type in the box, you simply need to add an if(flagnumberpicked!=0) sequence around the keyboard shortcuts. Otherwise the tractor does some strange things as you type. I’ll work a bit more on the save portion.

@wilberttalen, @BrianTee_Admin
Flag log save now works. Creates a file if you click save. You can type in the box and click save. Shuts down the keyboard shortcuts while you have a flag clicked. This is the only way I have found to type without strange results. Code is uploaded to the GitHub above. At least I think it has. Here is the file that it created and the picture of screenshot.

Flag_4_Log.rtf.txt (73 Bytes)

Now makes the selected flag big and bright white with the right number.

3 Likes

I’ll clone your git and have a peak.

1 Like

Added a next Flag button. It now scrolls through the flags and highlights each flag. I’ll try to get it to github.

Scroll%20Through%20Flags

private void BtnNxtFlg_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        if(flagNumberPicked>=flagPts.Count)
        {
            flagNumberPicked = 1;
            FileOpenFlagLog();
        }
        else
        {
            flagNumberPicked += 1;
            FileOpenFlagLog();

}
    }

Brian,
I have added the Flag panel to your latest github file. It can be found here.

https://github.com/KentStuff/KentMods

What it does not do yet is account for flag deletions. Edit: Now it does.

Use it at your will.

There was an issue with github master today, i need to fix that. Once i do, i’ll get you to do a pull request to the branch i will create called Flags. Just hand tough for a sec, need to fix that first.

There is a branch called flags that you can use for a pull request. Then see if there are conflicts, bad news is there usually is.