3D Flags with notes

I guess there are keyboard shortcuts in GE to set view overhead (U) and to point North (N) then click terrain to get 2D image for background. See this snippet from a [YouTube video].
(Georeference and Import Base Map Images from Google Earth - YouTube)

Did you end up using UTM or Lat and Long for the georeference ?

The kml file I created has a crop to line. I used the field max dimension to add to and subtract from the max and min fieldx,y. Both the kml and AOG are linked to the exact same points. The error will come on the straight up, North and user cropping. But when done right there is an easy line to follow.

Good to know.

I used Brian’s function to convert back to lat and long.
Edit: The function was minimized. So now in the code there is a function to convert any AOG cords to lat and long. Opened up a world of options. Took some playing around with it. First test had a path that circled the earth a few times in strange directions. The next one drew a fine field in Antarctica. But finally it hit right where it was supposed to.

Edit2: I watched the video. That’s some neat info. Thanks.

@wilberttalen

Back to playing with flags. Added a distance and heading from here on the panel. Walked it yesterday and set some flags. This is standing in the same location today. I don’t think my NTRIP is doing what it is supposed to do because it drifts when standing still. But you can walk right to where it says it is.

FlagHunt

3 Likes

So i completely stole your idea. Simpler version, just using the existing class of flags. Full Credit to you @KentStuff.

2020-01-06 (3)

3 Likes

Looks much better. Might as well add the distance and heading from here, while you are at it. Sure makes it nice getting back to it. I also considered adding the Google flag button here instead of right click. Thanks again.
Edit:. @BrianTee_Admin Did you modify the flag open in the field load for opening an old file. I had to do a check if the line had 5 or 6 items when parsing. Otherwise it would crash opening an old field with flags.

1 Like

Ya, it doesn’t compensate for old fields - but it will. So a heading you were going when the flag was made?

Distance and heading from where you are now. The direction that you must head to get back to the flag. As the crow flies.
This is copied on my phone so may not be formated right. But this is what I used.

if (flagNumberPicked != 0)
{
panelFlag.Visible = true;
double flagHeading = Math.Atan2(pn.fix.easting - flagPts[flagNumberPicked - 1].easting, pn.fix.northing - flagPts[flagNumberPicked - 1].northing);
if (flagHeading < 0) flagHeading += glm.twoPI;
flagHeading = glm.toDegrees(flagHeading)-180;
if (flagHeading < 0) flagHeading += 360;

if (isMetric)
                    {
                        FlagDistLbl.Text = "Distance form here: " + (glm.Distance(pn.fix.easting, pn.fix.northing, flagPts[flagNumberPicked - 1].easting, flagPts[flagNumberPicked - 1].northing)).ToString("N2") + " meters @ "+flagHeading.ToString("N0")+ "°";
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        FlagDistLbl.Text = "Distance form here: " + ((glm.Distance(pn.fix.easting, pn.fix.northing, flagPts[flagNumberPicked - 1].easting, flagPts[flagNumberPicked - 1].northing))*glm.m2ft).ToString("N2") + " feet@ " + flagHeading.ToString("N0") + "°";
                    }

}
                else
                {
                    panelFlag.Visible = false;
                }

Fendt is beeping 30 secs before you will hit the flag and a big msgbox with the fags text appears

1 Like

That could be a good feture. If you are coming up to a flag of something to avoid in the field, then tell me. @BrianTee_Admin if the flag notes start with “avoid” or “alarm” etc. Then AOG could scan ahead for any flags, if found, read note, if note says _____. Trigger alarm, and flash flag box. Just a thought.

You should make a boundary around something you shouldn’t drive around, then your path will be made around the obstacle.

I’m thinking we could do one better. Generate a dubins path to the flag, like self driving does, includes obstacle and collision testing… As paging thru the flags, could click “To Flag” and the guidance line is made. Hard to believe that was 2 years ago…

Current fix to flag generation
2020-01-08 (1)

3 Likes

Yes sir, I like.

A llittle video. Shows distance to flag as well. Once i (hopefully) get a global guidance class figured out, should be able to autosteer to the flag as well.

https://youtu.be/BOvC4gAkG6w

Looks like it keeps shifting dubins start. But, very promising. How about set the goal heading to the current direction to the flag, or the end of the first dubin tanget. Then it may not circle around the flag before getting there. I like it. Can’t wait to get into the code and dubin from flag to flag in various pick orders. It will end up a lot like my draw path but with dubin’s. Exciting!!!

It circles around the flag because you can’t physically drive there. In order to end up at the right heading when you reach the flag, you need to approach it properly. unless you are driving a skid steer. Yes it resets the start point as you drive. It would not do that after hitting autosteer

You could do it 2 ways, as the crow files and actually ending up in the same place heading the same direction as when the flag was created

I can see the bigger need for ending back up at the flag in the same direction as originally placed. But my mind is already picking up round hay bales from 90 degrees. Or field debris at straight on. Or drive through the flags at an average heading of two dubin paths. Opportunities are added up quickly. Again, the bigger need is returning in the same direction as placed. I’d leave it like you have it. We can further develop as the needs arise. I think it was you that said either buy what you need or spend a few years building your own. Or something close to that. Great job, looking forward to this release. P.S. I love the night screen.

Well you still have the line heading to the point, as you get close to the point, just cancel and approach as desired. I’m thinking like air seeder is empty, flag it, return back to right spot right direction, continue. Harvestor same, sprayer same etc

4 Likes

Yeap, 90% of all ag’s seeding and harvest needs the flag in the same heading it was dropped. I say leave it as is. Looks like it works great.

2 Likes