AgIO: autoconnect USB, sensor fusion, dual-heading w/o Arduino/ESP32

I found that they can be regulated from 5v to 3.3v, what would the led be for? so that it consumes and lowers the voltage?

Isn’t it this one?
grafik

Definitely 3.3V-only - there’s nothing on it but the BNO which is recommended for 2.4 … 3.6V.

For 3.3 V output this USB to serial could be used (just an example) 3.3V-5V FTDI232R USB to TTL Serial Adapter - RobotShop

no, that one fries your BNO, when connected directly! It has a fixed 5V power output acc. to what I can see on the webpage - just the TxD signal may be switched, which is unconnected here anyway.

But there are modules with regulators, e. g. this one.

Yes right, I did not read carefully enough :flushed:

How to connect a serial cable to a BNO085 IMU:

Connection of USB-Serial-Cable to BNO085 in RVC mode: 1st pic shows USB cable supplying board with 5V, if there is a voltage regulator on it; 2nd pic shows the same cable w/o using the voltage regulator. The 1st is prefered for this Adafruit board, the 2nd is for all boards w/o voltage regulator. Supply voltage is about 3.05V in that case :+1:

1 Like

I did a short test on the yard the other day, and it all seemed to work well!

1 Like

For those who prefer Ethernet connections: This is how to connect two Ardusimple to AgIO via an Ethernet cable. This module can connect two serial devices, in this case two Ardusimples @ 460800Bd to Windows.

Will also work for one Ardusimple and one BNO085 in RVC mode.

The red wire is the +5V supply - FIVE volt supply.

black: 0V
red: 5V
brown: 3.3V
green: to Ardusimple (NTRIP; RxD@AS, TxD@USR)
white: from Ardusimple (NMEA data; TxD@AS, RxD@USR)

(same colors used as above for the BNO085)

The connection to the Ardusimple board can also be made by the plugable Pixhawk connectors using 0V, 5V and the two communication lines. In that case, connecting the 3.3V line is not needed, but I would put a 100 Ohms resistor in series with the com lines.

2 Likes

Sorry, the link to the beta-AgIO and the Ardusimple - F9P config was wrong. This one is correct.

1 Like

The BNO085 is difficult to buy these days, so it’s worth having a look at the Arduino Nano RP2040 Connect board with its integrated IMU I think.

A prototype implementation using this one for AgOpenGPS can be found in my Github repo. The IMU itself is as good the the Bosch sensor of the BNO, but there is no magnetic sensor and so a continuous calibration of the heading isn’t possible so far. A certain drift is remaining, but may be eliminated in combination with AgIO one day.

With the Python script, the sensor emulated an BNO085 in RVC mode being compatible with the AgIO mod described in these posts here.

youtube video

Edit: April, 3rd: No key (no soldering at all) needed any more when used with the enhanced AgIO.exe

3 Likes

Neat stuff. I like the idea of utilizing the RP2040 and micropython. Very cool. Let us know how it works with AOG!

Even with Micropython, I bet the RP2040 is fast enough to take in NMEA and generate the PANDA sentence that AgIO already knows.

it’s a dual core - so, yes, I wouldn’t expect preformance issues. One core can do the IMU, the other one the communications. But I don’t need PANDA, because I simply connect both to USB. The only advantage would be, that the NMEA can continuously calibrate the heading. Furthermore, the RP2040 has two xtra UARTS, so also dual is an option :smile: Wifi would be possible as well.

And it’s really another level of development - not the moldy Ardusimple IDE. It behaves like an USB stick and you can connect via debug wire alternatively. That’s really up-to-date now.

Seems, UDP is no prob with it either. :+1:

1 Like

hi
I bought 2 of these RP2040, and it seems to work ok in AOG ver 5.5 but if I use AOG ver 5.6.2, I lost my steerboks communikation, something is blocking. I am using the special Agio with Rvc

I’ll have to check that and will come back to you

I’ve been trying the dual antenna setup today. I loaded both with the config from the GitHub and everything connects well. The issue I get is that as I’m driving the heading jumps for a split second and comes back. So as I’m driving the tractor on the map will turn on a angle for a split second and then come back on the correct heading. Is there something I’m missing?

Edit: I should add that it’s stable when running single antenna and no IMU but when I plug in the second antenna it gets jumpy. I’m running the antennas through a hub and I’ve tried both Fix w/dual as IMU and Dual on version 5.5.0

RTK stable on both Ardusimples?

I can confirm the problem - same here with 5.6.10. I’ll have to reverse-engineer what they have changed… :frowning:

1 Like

I am wanting to run dual antennas since IMU’s are hard to come by. Have you had any luck diagnosing this issue?

I join the consultation, any news about the diagnosis of the problem? I am also very interested in the dual system…