Another Ardusimple 2B micro Group buy

It’s a shame the bare F9P chips are so pricey, it would make sense to just build them on to the board with a modified reference circuit. Even at a 250 volume price, it’s almost the cost of an Ardusimple for the chip alone.

I see JLC can get the modules, but it doesn’t look like they have a lot of stock, I pull up 1 in stock at @ CDN$257. I’d probably design it in with a jumper to keep power off the module portion before testing the rest of it, since JLC isn’t exactly meticulous.

1 Like

We could also go and buy a bunch of bare modules and send them to PCBWay or JLC for assembly. I believe they are around $200 CAD in bulk. It also isn’t that hard to do with a hot plate or reflow oven and a stencil. I am also curious what sort of PCB design considerations would have to be taken to add an F9P.

Why not try um982, boards go as low as 110€, 3band, 8mm accuracy, have dual rtk capability. Half price of micro f9p.

Yeah that was added because there was complain about interference for other regs with the inverted footprint, to make it more universal. :roll_eyes:

Don’t know if it should be removed, I have regs with both footprints at home.
Anyway, boards must always be inspected/tested before plugging the other componants.

@ikidd From my talk with Ardusimple they are willing to continue with the AOG group buys.
Also they have no intention to reduce the micro individual price or offer some micro+antenna kits in a foreseeable future.

But, in my opinion, group buy organizers should strongly remember the members that for support they must use the AOG community.

That makes sense. The big thing that I think that these boards are often ordered and assembled by people who aren’t necessarily the most experienced, so we should be taking as many steps as we can to make them easier to get going. Chances are if someone orders and assembles there first board and they get a bad regulator and fry several hundred dollars of components, they probably will just abandon AgOpenGPS.

The incorrect polarity of the regulators is a well known issue that can probably be solved by making small changes to the PCB. So I think that they would be well worth it if we could save even one person a dead F9P. And if 20% of boards are assembled wrong then there may be a lot of people who have had this happen to them.

Then again this is only my opinion and I am not usually one to hold popular or good opinions so take this with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

It is not only a matter of the regulator, other errors happen in JLC boards, e.g. a diode rotated by 180, a resistor rotated by 90 and soldered only with one end. It’s hard to expect inexperienced people to check it out. The tiles have become more complicated, it is no longer a V2 where you can see where the paths lead at first glance. For those who do not want to learn from mistakes, the best solution would be to buy a ready-made board with all parts installed, programmed and tested.

4 Likes

Is there a video of properly checking the boards once received from JLC to illustrate what is being talked about with incorrectly placed parts?

Any updates with the group buy? Im in for 2 2B micros

I’ll add you to the list, we’re up to about 27 now

Im in for 5 micros and 5 ann.

Sounds good, with that and other DMs I’ve gotten, we’re up to about 40 now. I’ve updated the top post here.

Micros only for group buy or can we order standards too?

The group buy only covers the micro F9P. But ardusimple already has the standard with antenna for a good deal than the current group buy if I recall correctly.

Yup, micros only. There is a breakout board floating around that you can use to turn one into a basestation, etc.

Also, AFAIK, the V4 board is not out with the standard modules yet.

They have the V4.2 standard released. Seem to be pretty decent boards. The breakouts are probably wildbuckwheats breakouts and the production files can be found in the boards GitHub.

Hello can you add me to the buying group I would like to buy a series of micro f9p and ann-mb

Could you add me to the buying group please. I’m after one unit

Hello, can you add me to buying group. I would like buy 6 of micro f9p and 6 of ann-mb.

I can buy 15 micro + 15 ann

3 micro + 2 ann please