Antenna selection

The end that goes into the hx 901 is a female sma

C$ 2.64 5% Off | 2Pcs SMA Female Bulkhead Right Angle Plug RA 90 Degree Crimp For RG174 RG316 LMR100 Cable Lot RF Connector

You really have to watch because rpsma and sma will have the male or female in opposite connectors.

The other side will depend on what f9p variant you have chosen.

Most likely you will run into rg170’s, try to keep runs as short as practical, try to keep under 20ft with this type of coax.

Your line loss will depend on coax type, and its characteristics at 1500-2000Mhz.

There are very low loss coax, with very thick cross sections, and very high price tags.

You will need to choose what is best for the application you are building, there are many to choose from.

But the shortest run practical, is the best regardless of type used.

2 Likes

This might be a dumb question but i can see how you get from TNC to SMA but what board gets it to USB or UDP [ethernet cable] and will any helical antenna work like this ie a Raven MBA6.

I would sell the raven its almost the price of 3 F9P.

All GPS systems need an antenna, antenna cable, gps module, and data communications.
These can all be separate or packaged together in one.

For AOG you need a Receiver capable of making NMEA sentences.

A mate gave it to me,I am not over impressed with my ardusimple F9P it drops sats a lot the little 20 dollar chinese usb antennas seem to work as good and dont drop out at all but they cant do RTK and i wanted to try something better before buying anything else

Then something is wrong with f9p or most likely the antenna. What is the exact name of the antenna?
Or maybe f9p is set to use satellite system that does not have many visible satellites in your area.

Its an ardusimple RTK2GO lite package,it looses signal around trees and things where the $20 ebay usb antenna,s have no probs.Seems worse when RTK enabled but acuracy free to air is no better than the ebay ones.

Which is logical. When on RTK f9p can only use satellites that the base is also seeing at that moment.
What is your f9p settings?
Did you use a rover setup file for the f9p?

Could you give more details about your Chinese £20 receiver? I’d like to see if it is GPS only or if it supports other constellations.

I’m not aware of any RTK2GO from from Ardusimple (may have missed it), are you actually referring to SimpleRTK2B lite? Are you using RTK2GO for a correction signal? How far from your location?

In any case, higher accuracy in any case results to lower availability (more or less). But the SimpleRTK2B receiver should never provide lower availability when working in the same mode as any cheap receiver. The cheap receiver may not support sbas but if it did, it would give lower availability in SBAS mode than in autonomous but better accuracy with sbas compared to autonomous mode.

Your first message claimed F9P being worse, the second says it is no better, has something changed?

Which antenna did you get with your simplertk2be lite ?

I think its the ANN-MB-00 Antenna for GNSS dual band and yep sorry it is RTK2B lite .The other ebay antenna,s are just those G Mouse ones which are a Ublox 7 and you can reset them to 10 hz in u centre, cors correction is a bit over 20 kms next closest is about 35 kms and in answer to the settings i didnt set as rover didnt think you had to.

Anyone knows the difference between ha-901 and hx-901? Visually they look identical?

use better GSM/LTE modem it helps a lot