Ardusimple F9P Base setup

No idea on that one yet I’m afraid Alan, as I’m still trying to get my base set right with the standard Ardusimple antenna!
Question for the experienced guys out there again please.
I have got my base surveyed-in and in TIME mode, and set the correct RTCM messages using CFIG-VALSET which show in the Packet Console.
I also have it connected to SNIP as a serial steam and in push out. It then shows in the SNIP caster table as my Mount point, but the columns beside the entry are blank whereas most others show the type and which RTCM’s etc, next to it.
However, when connected on the tractor using Brian’s NTRIP client in AgOpenGPS, I have an RTK fix at 8Hz. But it runs for perhaps a minute or two and then says ‘Ntrip not connected to send GGA’ and restarts and reconnects to the caster?
The tractor steers reasonably well despite this but I guess it will be better if I can iron out these problems.
Would someone be able to give me some pointers please?
Thank you

You could maybe turn of the “Request NMEA” from your SNIP caster entry. Then it does not need the GGA from the rover.

The Pushed-Out Streams are for sending the RTCM correction stream to another Caster (=makes it work as a NTRIP server). Your Client on the tractor should be set to listening the Serial Stream that comes from F9P.

You could also check the Serial Stream with “> Show Message Types” that it is streaming OK from serial.
The Input should also be constantly showing an increasing number of data …KB /MB /GB.
The Output figure is growing only when rovers are connected and listening to data.

It’s a parsing issue in snip caster.
Did you set the USB out port in Ucenter to RTCM3 only? The lite version can only parse 1 data stream. It will automatically parse the incoming rtcm3 data and insert the position, type of rtcm3 data and so on…

I can upload the base config from my base file system, you only have too change the location in the fixed mode time config screen

Thank you Richard, the base config would be great please. Morten did post his but the firmware’s didn’t match - mine is 1.12. ( just thinking yours might be an earlier version too).
If it doesn’t match I will check my settings with your suggestions.
I have an RTK fix in Agopen so I must be nearly there!
Thank you

Thank you too esuomala - I have checked and the message types are correct.

Looking at the WiFi NTRIP Master and the fact it is basically AFAICS just an ESP32. I’m wondering if it would it be possible to just connect an ESP32 to the xbee socket (to the appropriate pins obviously, nicely marked on the ntrip master) and use the software off asrdusimple’s github?

To install a firmware update you use espressif’s flash tool software anyway.

It would be at the very least an order of magmitude cheaper… :thinking:

3 Likes

Part one worked!! Ntrip master software onto an ESP32 dev board.

IMG_7216 IMG_7217 IMG_7218

4 Likes

Ardusimple recommends ignoring the Ucenter message about the firmware version and installing the 8m8 configuration. to 1.12. Unfortunately, I have something wrong, I don’t understand the basic concepts! Eg what is the time mode and how is it set?

I have my F9P running at 1.12 so I could send you an Config file

That would be great.
Thank you

Hi Everybody!
I try to start on the on GitHub - eringerli/RpiNtripBase
How (and where) to config usb-serial adapter? On my RPi its /dev/ttyUSB0
Thanks

You might be asking the wrong person because I failed miserably with the RPiNtripBase. I had the F9P sending RTCM3 messages to usb on the Ardusimple board then plugged that into the Pi. But I couldn’t get it to work. I might try again now I know I’ve got a working system.

The ESP32-Xbee software on a normal esp32 dev board works perfectly.

Can you explain how do you use ESP-Xbee ? Is it also casters via internet? or just by radio?

Internet. The esp32 has no radio capability beyond wifi and bluetooth. It sends to your local network.

Do you have a link to the esp32 you are using and to the program you are using as well as how they are linked?

Any ESP32 Dev board.

The software.

How to install it.

Wiring is easy.

ESP32 pin    simpleRTK2B pin
--------------------------------
      GND     to    GND
      RX0     to    RX2
                    IOREF   to   3v3_OUT (both on RTK2B)

The IOREF connection ensures that the RTK2B board communicates with the ESP32 at 3.3 volts, which the ESP needs.

1 Like

Hi all, i’m just in the process of setting up my base station on the bench and would like to double check a few settings if possible,

In the UBX-CFG-PRT, i have set UART2, Protocol in as RTCM3, and Protocol out as RTCM3 with a baudrate of 115200, Is this correct? SHould i also disable the other ports, i.e UART1 Protocol IN/OUT “none”? or leave as is.

In the UBX-CFG-MSG, I have enabled 1005,1074,1084,1094,1124,1230 on UART2. Also are all the NMEA messages necessary or should i disable/enable a certain few?

I have set the location in TMODE3 to fixed mode and entered the lat/long coordinates which i got from www.maps.ie, they seem to be very close to the lat/long from U-center.

Lastly i have my NTRIP caster sending to rtk2go as base mountpoint “ballymagorry85” it seems to be mostly working ok, however the 1005 msg doesn’t appear but i’m still working on that problem.

Any tips/changes you would recomend before i move onto the rover?

As a base I don’t think any of the nema messages are necessary.

TMODE3 got my lat/long accurate to less than 50mm in about 31 hours I think. I just set it to 50mm and 12 hours. Both criteria have to be met so it ran on till it got the 50mm. I then entered those coordinates into the fixed position.

Odd how 1005 isn’t there. Just checked and as you say, it isn’t. Is it definitely set to the correct port? 1005 doesn’t need to be sent as often as it is just your base coordinates. Most seem to set it to every 5 or 10 seconds.

I can’t comment on the CFG-PRT. I used the standard base config file then modified it to suit. Not sure how they are set in my base and it’s in the office so can’t check right now.

Others will be able to give more detailed advice. I’m learning fast, like a lot are here!

Thanks Alan, I might try to survey in the unit and see if that has any effect on the 1005 msg, I’m fairly sure I have it enabled, will check again tho, the whole “send & save” aspect has caught me out before.

Definitely a lot to learn & learning more everyday!

Is u-centre showing Time mode and the fixed coordinates when the base is running? At the right hand side.

The whole u-centre setup thing is a bit odd. Easy to trip up and not very intuitive.

1 Like