Ardusimple F9P Base setup

IOREF link is only required when using arduino rails rather than the 3.3V XBee Socket.

See: ardusimple.com/question/xbee-socket-voltage

1 Like

Was planning to use an Esp as an Ntrip server to send data up to Rtk2go. I plan to power the esp with a usb from wall power like a phone charger. It’s a Trimble style base and it’s outputting the data via a rs232 9 pin connector. Can I just make a cable to send tx from the trimble 9 pin into rx on esp and ground to ground? How do I know if the trimble is 3.3 volts, how do I check that? Then I just need to flash the esp with an xbee firmware right?

Anybody use an Ardusimple with an Uno and an ethernet shield? Any compatibility problems? Just run cat5 cable to a router and your connected.

That would be simple, hope someone has worked on this setup

Are you thinking of dual arduSimple in our single? I’m not sure the Uno has enough speed to do the dual calculations but it might be able to handle acting as a serial-Ethernet bridge.

Just single. Although I found this thread where they say it need dual hardware serial to work.

Would the ardusimple would connect with hardware serial to the Uno and the ethernet shield would connect to the uno with spi?

I had an extra ESP32 sitting around so loaded the GitHub code from nebkat on it and it looks exactly like an XBee now, that will hook to my Wi-Fi and become a caster or a server but if you want an internet connection just add a w5500 or maybe even an ENC28J60. Very easy to configure the caster, just a web browser from A Wi-Fi hotspot that the ESP provides. I actually have an olimex-esp32-poe-iso here but it has an lan8710 ethernet adapter on it and apparently that doesn’t work well for ethernet and esp, not sure why, that’s above my pay grade

One hardware serial should be enough for a single F9P.

Anytime you see “RS232” you’re not talking about logic-level voltages. You’ll need a converter to change 3.3v or 5v serial into RS232 for talking to commercial receivers. Look for TTL to rs232 converter. some are 5v, some are 3.3v, and some can do either. Also there are two types, DCE and DTE, although either will work with a gender changer and possibly a null modem adapter.

Thanks for the info, glad I didn’t just hook it up

1 Like

It wouldn’t have hurt the commercial unit at all. Just wouldn’t work. However it probably would have fried your esp32. RS232 voltages are about -13V to 13V, although the standard allows for up to 25 volts.

I was thinking something like this to try. Am I on the right track? Screenshot_20210316-184115

Yes that’s the type of thing you need. If it matches the voltage of your micocontroller (3.3v for the esp32) then you should be okay.

I have a problem with high framecounts in agopen and saw in Ucenter my rover sends a lot of messages to usb (agopen). Now I have set Usb protocol out to only NMEA. Is this enough for Agopen to work correct?

As I think only the F9P chip itself needs the RTCM3.3 messages received from base, Agopen doesn’t need these via usb. Is this correct? This made my framecount go from 60 to 6-10

Yes i think it only needs nmea. Should only send GGA and vtg at 10 hertz if i remember correctly

i think these don’t belong to the NMEA, so I have to set another protocol to send via usb also and only check the GGA and vtg. I read this in a post from Aortner also, but I didn’t understand AOG really needs these…

ucenter can be confusing. by default it will send more of these nmea messages then needed. go to msg in ucenter and go through list and select only messages you want.ucenter

After reading these messages I am a bit confused. I have an F9P feeding into a USB in U-centre. I have surveyed in and have a X-Y-Z coordinates to 4cm accuracy. My UBX > CFG > TMODE 3 setting is FIXED and I entered my X-Y-Z coordinates and saved them in U-Center but my Fix Mode on the left of my screen still says 3D-DGNSS. From what I read it needs to read FIXED or TIME. How do I do this?

The goal is to use F9P → U-Center —> SNP Caster ----> Internet to tractor with rover picking up the NTRIP signal via Internet.

I am setting up my base station using the config files from Ortner and have changed them to UBX > CFG > PRT to URT2 and 115200 baudrate (base and rover). My SNP caster serial port is reading INPUTS but sending our OUTPUTS. From what I have read the SNIP Push Out stream is for casting to RTK2GO. I have a registered mount point name which I can see on RTK2GO but not in AGOPENGPS.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I seem to be going in circles.

Look on your first picture after x,y,z you have to check “Use Lat/Lon/Alt Position” and then you will have to write your coordinates. I think that you have to use the first Alt (149.800)

After survey in, we had to switch to disabled, then to fix mode, before we input our coordinates. Then it went to time.

1 Like