Autosteer - Brushless Motor

So I guess the Gimson is a DC motor with gearhead, hence the need to speed it up. I am looking at a single brushless motor, no gearhead. A single 120kv brushless motor at 12 volts gives 12x120=1440 rpm hence the need for final gear reduction of 4:1 giving potentially 6 revs/sec at the steering wheel possibly too high, but this can always be limited in the VESC. Torque is more than adequate. I like the friction drive of Profile - GregFaRmTeK - AgOpenGPS it should reduce gear noise and tolerate for slight mounting eccentricity.

Looks cool. Nice rs485 interface. Would need running at 24 volts to get 4revs/sec. Torque at 5N-M is only just OK, but not much safety margin, and might depend on just how good the power steering is. I measured about 2 N-M to turn a steering wheel on one machine with power steering on. I would feel happier with 10N-M for the motor.

I made some test using a shorter motor, the 6354 190kv (63 mm diameter, 54 mm length) with a compact VESC Flipsky Mini FSESC4.20 50A.
They are all available with EU shipping on banggood.
https://www.banggood.com/Flipsky-Mini-FSESC4_20-50A-ESC-Based-Upon-VESC-With-Aluminum-Anodized-Heat-Sink-for-Rc-Car-p-1349277.html?cur_warehouse=CZ

20210103_140006 low
With very little tweaking using FOC and the hall rotation sensor, the duty cycle seems very usable.
The minimum stable speed is around 30 tpm without load (2-3% duty cycle, below torque not stable)
In this mode , the motor behavior is very similar to a brushed motor with variable input voltage, with smooth torque even when locking the motor to zero speed.

motor.txt (7,9 Ko)
Config moteur en txt au lieu de xml car pas autorisé par le forum.

The current from the battery and to the motor can be easily limited in the software (to avoid blowing fuse or wires). I’ve limited my maximum motor/battery current to 25A for most of my test.
This limit also the maximum available torque to avoid mechanical damage and limit injuries risk when testing (be careful, this is already power full).
The motor is capable of 65 A continues and the ESC 50A continuous, so i’ve a lot of margin. The esc has an integrated temperature safety measurement. (The one on the motor does not work).

The maximum speed can be adjusted with limiting the duty cycle below the standard 95% and the maximum no load rpm.
With my discharge battery at 9.8V, i can easily achive 1500 tpm with no load, so more than enough with the same gears as the phidgets without needing 24V.

The motor seems quite silent but I should use a better support.

The motors turns easily when not required to run. I can launch the motor by hand for a few turns.

This need to be tested on a real autosteer system but this seems a very good compact alternative to the phidget.

Few remarks (from this motor) :
Sensored motor is mandatory for me
FOC control mode with hall sensor give the smoothest torque output
BLDC with hall sensor (sensored or hybrid) is more noisy and torque is not stable when stalled.
HFI is smoothed if motor is not stalled but very noisy at low speed.
FOC without sensor does not provide a stable torque when stalled.

Low Kv
Low kv motor is important to have the most torque at the lowest current.
More than 25 A is not so easy to get reliably from a tractor.

Smaller motors
Smaller motor, with kv equal or lower should be usable.

Speed regulation
I did not test speed regulation extensively as the duty cycle was behaving the same as a dc motor and seams to be sufficient.
It will need manual tweaking with load applied to behave correctly.

Dust protection
This motor doesn’t have ventilation holes and is designed for skateboard use so it should not be sensible to dust in our tractor cab.

Thank you for your feedback on the topic, we are getting improvements :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Heii everyone,

I like the Idea to use this Motor. Does anyone have testet it yet?
Regards, Peter

Look at this cerea guy:

RISULTATO FINALE INSTALLAZIONE PRESSO AZ. AGRICOLA FUSI (BS). :top: - YouTube

Ecco qui un altro video che mi ha mandato Luca, per farmi vedere di quanto è soddisfatto del kit - YouTube

May be this brushless motor works also for AOG

My system works with AGO.

If you like have a look at Using AgOpenGPS with a brushless motor - YouTube

3 Likes

This SteerWheel system you have bought in Aliexpress?

Yes, thats right.

maybe this is the missing link:
The HT 1225 seems even stronger

Hello,
Can you Post the Link of the Motor?
Regards, Peter

Yes I think it can work, this week I will also test with Aog, but it is not a standard motor. With cerea work perfectly look this

Same motor Motore brushless 6374 1,8Kw utilizzato per Cerea autosteer - YouTube

there is this one too but the price :hot_face:

As @TERVUREN said.

In addition to this you can take a look at dcmotorkeya.com.

Yes, it is more expensiv but I think it looks better :wink:

Looks interesting, please can you introduce your steering setup and post more information.
How do you handle RS232?
Did you made the adapter for steering wheel by yourself?
What is your experience with your motor, is the smaller one rated torque of 7N also enought?

@wland
I am using an ESP32 with a modified code from Matthias‘ Autosteer (github/mtz8302). This sends the commands via wifi UDP to a small Wemos D1 mini I have built in in the steering wheel. From this Wemos the commands are sent via a RS232MAX converter to the wheel. So the wheel is only plugged with a power cable. The data transfer also works in the other direction.

To mount the motor on the tractor I use a selfmade adapter and a cheap racing wheel.

Yes, I am sure that the smaller one also is strong enough for any kind of hydraulic steering. (I am not sure for mechanical steering, sry)

In the meantime (I bought it in summer) the software of new ones seems to be updated. Now it should work that the motor gives some feedback for example if you turn the wheel. (My motor has some problems with this feedback)Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild

7 Likes

This is smaller, the shaft hole is 23 mm, I don’t know if it would be enough

Look at the datasheet of the steering oribitrol:

OGNIBENE Lenkventile Serie STZOR (Reaction)
Orbitrol OGNIBENE série STZOR (Réaction)

• Lenkradmoment: normal ca. 3 Nm
manuell 120 Nm
max. 240 Nm

• Couple au volant: normal env. 3 Nm
manuel 120 Nm
max. 240 Nm

Hello,

Very nice mounting !
Do you have a datasheet of this motor, especially about the RS232/CAN interface ?

Math

I plan to make a fork of the GitHub-Code wich I use (GitHub - mtz8302/AOG_Autosteer_ESP32: AgOpenGPS V5 + V4 autosteer code for ESP32 ) to implement my code. But I just started learning Github, so it may take a few weeks.

The new datasheet doesn’t exactly correspond with my motor, so I am not sure if my code could work with this version…

Im am not allowed to upload a pdf, but yes I have one. :thinking: