Budget DIY GPS/GNSS Base Station / Receiver and NTRIP Server Client with ESP32 and UM980

I was going to cross post a pretty in depth guide on how to build a NTRIP Server using COTS hardware like a ESP32 and Unicorecomm UM980, but new members are restricted to posting 2 links.

Please check out this guide and I’d be glad to improve the article based on your discussions and post any updates here.

5 Likes

Is there an option to send data by radio?

Can you elaborate on this so I can better answer you?

I saw that your project is very similar to the paid version of esprtk.
It would be nice to have an opensource alternative.
Some points that would be of interest:
An alternative to changing communication ports.
An alternative for sending corrected messages via bluetooth/wifi/radio.

The ESP32-Xbee software is open source, GPL v3 license. The software has not been updated in 4 years. There are 3 year pull requests that have not been touched and 37 issues the author has not responed to. Looks like abandonware.

Bluetooth has limited range so not sure it would be a good choice for an Ntrip caster /base to send corrections to a rover.

The ESP32-Xbee software implements an AP. One can connect to this AP and obtain corrections via WiFi. The builtin Wifi antenna also has limited range. One could substitute a ESP32-WROOM-32U with external antenna connector for more range. Or a Wifi repeater like a TP-Link CPE 210 can connect to the ESP32 Wifi and repeat the Wifi several KM’s line-of-sight.

But still works nominal, um980+esp32 as wifi ntrip master is good 90$ 3band rtk base station. Add 30$ for antenna and you got budget rtk base.