CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

I am using the old AOG 4.3.10, is there any code that could fit the new version?

I have updated the Dropbox folder with a v5 Fendt program that should work, haven’t tested this exact ino myself in a tractor tho.

The Arduino Uno/Nano CANBUS is only good for USB, if you want UDP we have to use the Teensy.

The Teensy is really nice to use in the tractor we have really nice simple programs working with v5, triple CAN, UDP & USB.

2 Likes

+1 on that. FlexCAN is really nice to use compared to mcp_can and you don’t need to worry about the processing power so much with a lot of CAN traffic.

Youre right €200 for only disengaging autosteer looks exagerated! Nevertheless Pressure sensing looks smart!
Found this MHC WIKA pressure transducer J1939 less than $100 on ebay

1 Like

Got the STW one quoted, price drops heavily based on quantity. Gonna take one of the options for testing anyhow, the Wika one isn’t too bad priced either.

Should quote the steering sensor for a larger batch as well.

Second day drilling with the CAN BUS steered 724. Section operation of the headland management system worked well today. Got K-bus operation of forced section too now so it will show applied area for manually operated go and end. Kept a very neat line at the ends of the insides. Steer still wanders a bit at times but it may be due to me not calibrating the IMU. Used Stanley for the insides but PP worked much better on the headlands. Ultimately I think PP will be better for the direct steer angle steering via CAN. A few wide run ins on the insides as it took a while to get to the line. Too long a fix to fix i think. The BNO085 compass works really well. Using highest level of IMU heading. The more I use it the more I think it might work just fine steering direct, tuned correctly.

5 Likes

One thing I did find out today, the whole unboxed system does not like the CB antenna being only about 800mm away! Key mic, goodbye GPS and steer controller connection to AOG. I actually think it might be USB that went down. The teensy stayed up as I got no autosteer error on the 724. UDP next I think.

Is GPS over UDP via the Teensy not too hard to implement?

1 Like

The program you sent worked fine. It sent and received as intended. This was almost plug and play :slight_smile: Next step is to find better settings on my GPS-receiver and buy an IMU. Thank you for quick support. Or maybe already order a Teensy ++.

1 Like

Teensy 4.1 has Ethernet on it I see.

I use the onboard Ethernet, it’s super simple and works perfect

1 Like

Yes, and I’ve got the Ethernet plug adapter but I’ve never used UDP and I would want GPS going down it too. Need to look into it. Might be beyond me. Not sure!!

Have you had a go at f9p to Teensy via serial then to AOG via Ethernet yet @CommonRail ?

Think @Tom_S did it in his USB code.

Not yet, but that’s next on the list (not sure if it’s possible USBGPS-Teensy-AOGEthernet) I was just going to look at Tom’s code and pick bits out.

I was starting to sort out all my programs. Everything developed a bit fast and I forget what’s what sometimes. I’ll start sorting out the good ones and put here for everyone to look at both Teensy and UNO/Nano versions.

https://github.com/MechanicTony

This was my first Teensy test board:

6 Likes

Wika’s are a great disposable sensor. We use them on small portable natural gas screw compressors, they take years of abusive pressure spikes. Nothing to calibrate on most of their models, they either work or do not.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. I meant uart from f9p to teensy

I did that but I actually went Ethernet too now.
I just have the F9P Serial1 on a Teensy Serial Port, read that and if it has a complete sentence, sends it via UDP. Same with NTRIP, read from UDP, forward to Serial.

3 Likes

Some progress with the CAN valve as well, works as expected. Never mind the professional looking power setup😬

4 Likes

Had a look at @Tom_S code, plus the ESP32 GPS then had a go myself seems to work fine on the bench. Field test is needed next really.

I have put it on my GitHub just now, you might have to plug your Ethernet socket on when you get time.

1 Like

Today, i tried to steer a Deutz, with a PVED-CLS Valve.
I used the Massey Code with a 10K Poti. Currently i don’t have a second Can Shield, to monitor the bus while sending.
I tried the Isobus and Vehicle Bus but i couldn’t get the Tractor to steer. The Valve was turned on but still no change.
I probably have to wait on my second shield, or does this code even work with the PVED-CLS Valve?