CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

Great. Need to try this!

Just had a look. Can’t see where it sends RTCM3 to the f9p?

Oh it doesn’t, I use a external radio RTCM via RS232.

Won’t be hard to add that part in aswell tho.

There’s a lot more safety functionality in CLS vs CL, so wild guess is that it’s not engaging the steering for some reason. Try to get a CAN dump and see if there’s any error messages. The CLS also typically has a safety switch which turns on the pilot pressure (not via CAN but a separate circuit) and the valve is monitoring whether that circuit is enabled or not. Does your tractor have a separate autosteer on button? You could check of the engage coil in the valve is getting voltage when you are trying to steer, it should sit on the orbitrol.

There’s a schematic of the on-road switch. If you’re in road mode that pilot pressure the the electrohydraulic valve is cut.

I found out there’s a separate bus for the Valve and therefore it cannot work via the Vehicle or Isobus Bus. I’m going to try it with this bus.

The steering bus should be connected via some kind of steering ECU to the ISOBUS I would guess, might be you need to plug in directly to the steering bus as well.

Wiring diagram would be handy, don’t know how easy it is to find for Deutz though.

For CAN sniffing, I would recommend investing a bit more in a raspberry with a CAN shield, you don’t have to worry as much about bus traffic overloading the CPU as with arduino and you can use tools like wireshark etc. to read the messages, cost is still under 100 eur.

Hello

Because I haven’t CANbus ready tractor, I no longer followed this topics.
Since a few weeks, I was thinking to make a “all-in-one” board with the powerfull Teensy 4.1, where F9P would be connected to Teensy, also the BNO08x, potentially a CAN WAS using Teensy 4.1 CAN interface and why not a Chiness BLDC motor that is controled via RS232 using one of the Teensy 4.1 UART interface.
This evening I took a look on the last evolution of this topic and I discorver that you already have done this kind of mounting with Teensy 4.1 and F9P connected to it ! :grinning: Nice work !

I your first USB version, how did you manage the fact that GPS data and steering datas were send to the same COM port ? AgOpenGPS (or AgIO) allow to select the same COM port for GPS and Autosteer ?

Math

@Tom_S got us all started with the teensy :blush:.

With the teensy you can run it in triple serial mode, then when you connect to the laptop with one USB cable the laptop shows 3 different com ports (Steering, GPS, and Machine) if you want to

2 Likes

I did that just like @CommonRail said. However, I’ve had problems with the virtual GPS-port freezing. I still don’t know if it was a bug in the firmware or a faulty connection somewhere.
However, I figured out that for me it is way more conventient to use a USB-Ethernet adapter together with the Teensy’s native Ethernet.

Hello,

Thank for the informations. Teensy 4.1 is on the way. Will test it as soon I received it.
What CAN transceiver did you used with the Teensy ?

Math

1 Like

I used three of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324199453070

Compared to the sometimes temperamental esp32 the teensy is a dream to use!

2 Likes

Finally running on the tractor. Some field testing tomorrow, WAS is still the old analogue one in this setup, didn’t want to break the existing working setup all at once

4 Likes

With some help of @CommonRail i’ve succeeded to readout the driving speed with the isobus.
It is possible to readout the speed in terms of 10th m/h with PGN CFE48F0.

Next callenge to log it with some gps location and display it on the web :).

2 Likes

So first of all big Thanks to @CommonRail for helping me out :metal:
I managed to get a Deutz with pre installed Danfoss Valve to work with agopengps.
This Deutz has a connector under the right console where all Can Bus are accessible, makes it easier to find the right one. The bus is for steering etc is called AutoG.

We got it working after a while, but the main Problem that we had, we weren’t driving so the Tractor would not steer :see_no_evil:
The next step is buying RTK Receivers and build the full system.

6 Likes

Hello

I have a T7.210 New Holland with a preinstalled autosteer. I was ready to see where were the wires that I wanted to connect . When I dismout the hiding place, I saw that the wires that I wanted weren’t here. After calling the sealer, He said that New Holland built after 2018 haven’t got the “standard wiring” (with a 3 wire angle sensor…) and everything is connected by ISObus on the Trimble (and that can also be used with other RTK systems, but with a transceiver). So, does there is a solution wich exist, or I’ll need to install a 24V motor on my steering wheel ?

Thank you for your answers

Val

You need to wire up the standard PWM valves located on the steering orbital, located behind engine and front of the cabin. Don’t worry about anything CANBUS with New Holland

Did you get the manual? StackPath

@CommonRail and @Larsvest There is a small problem. Yes I bought the manual several month ago, but the latest release version was for 2015 tractors. The orbitrol isn’t the same than what’s on the book (the wiring is also different).
the manifold (=orbitrol) hasn’t got the same wiring position.

that’s on the older version,

@Larsvest The X-711, X-623 and X-710 aren’t here anymore.

On 2018 (and before) tractors, there should be 3 relays . On my tractor, there are only 2 (one for crank isolate, and the other for the right or lef solenoid (or maybe both or another thing ?)

And there are 4 wire which come from the steering sensors (two are yellow, the color used by NH to indicate the signal wire).

So, there is any way to pass by the isobus plug ?

Thank you for your answers

Val

All right then.
Was: find out if it is can or analog. Measure voltage between signal wires and gnd, if you get between 0 and 5 v depending on steer angle. Then you have analog was.

Relay: with engine running, put your ear at relay (or measure) while you ask someone to flip the autosteer Button.
Hopefully you get reaction and know which is for autosteer. Read wire number, they should be same at the proportional valve.
If you have luck, then connect your cytron there.
Have you looked for wire connectors in the compartment for traktor computer behind seat ( right side)?

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. I find the good wire on the WAS (2177) ( 1V at the right, 2.5 at the middle (and probably 4 at the left)). (it’s powered in 5v (4.96V exactly). (In cab, this wire number isn’t powered).

The problem isn’t to know which relay is for wich solenoid, but to know why there is only one remaining instead of 2. On the user manual, that’s written that the relay is for autoguidance stop valve. (this relay has got 4 wires, (12V, ground, 2180 (0.66V) and 2181 (0V).

Yes I looked at the other compartment on the ECU, but there isn’t the good amount of wires, and only 2 wires give the informations (2 CAN wires : 390 and 391).

On the orbitrol, I have a 4 pin plug, on wich there is 5200 wire (12v I think), ground, 3590 and 3914.

There is also a 10 wires plug, on wich there is 5V (2014), ground, 5200 (should be 12V), 391 and 392 (CAN wires), 2095 blue (5V ground I think), 2176, 2177, 2179, 2180 (yellow wires).

I don’t know which wire can lead to the dump valve wich unlock the other valve, and I don’t know where is the pressure sensor.

So I think that I’ll do with a 24V motor because I don’t know wich wire I could use to do what I want

I think you could find 2177 from 10 wire plug at a not used 4 wire plug around generator /radiator close to the WAS plug. It seems one would shift was plug to that one when autosteer controller is installed (maybe with Y plugs)
What wires do you have at the roof top? Maybe controller is combined with GPS unit for new t7.