Car electric power steering units?

Very true!

Electric steering measure torque on the steering wheel , calculate PID and drive BLDC motor, close control with reading hall sensor inside motor. If car driving faster of 50-60km signal from main ECU turn off system.
Waste of time.

I will make proportional hydro valve with DC servo motor , gear and danffos orbitrol, orbitrol open center , 160ccm per turn. Connect 2 orbitrol serial, both open center, one orbitrol on steering wheel , second “proportional valve” control with “step” , “dir” servo driver thru arduino and AOG.

I bought DC servo motor and servo gear 1:10.4 for that motor , motor 250W ,32V ,
When driving motor on 12V need 35W just for gear , servo gear had very small or no backlash.
Sped on output of gear with 12V about 60 turn/min.

I build before some DC servo drivers , about 100x150mm.

My daughter have a Corsa B with electrical steering. not the exact same unit but alike. It has a hall sensor to measure direction/torque. if that sensor is adjusted to much to one side the steering wheel starts spinning all the way to endstop. So my suggestion is to measure the output voltage from torque sensor and then hopefully substitute that with pwm from arduino. (I am quite sure it would work on the Corsa B type) :slight_smile: Remember to have a brake on the output shaft to get a “torque” to measure.

1 Like

Thanks @Larsvest ,that’s answered if steering wheel will spin. Although guess driving orbital would take less effort than moving Corsa tyres.

The torque is not important in the situation where sensor is “wrongly” adjusted. If I take the sensor out and push the arm on the sensor I can turn the cars steering wheel both ways as i like. The steering wheel is at rest when sensor is in the middle position.

Hello, I am desperately looking for a solution to operate a brushless motor with hall effect sensor. Could you help me? Thank you

There are commercial motor drivers that would work. I just saw a unit from a company called Arcus Servo Motion. Also I see generic drivers from Aliexpress, such as this one: 12V 24V 36V48V Borstelloze DC Motor Speed Controller met Hall Sensor 10/50DPW15BL bldc motor driver voor ebike scooter BBQ machine|motor speed controller|dc motor speed controllerdc motor speed - AliExpress