CMPS14 Compass

Ordered mine from robot-electronics.co.uk, on stock there. The huge interest has been noticed, parts delivered via Langley… :slightly_smiling_face:

Apologies if this has been answered, scanned the thread but couldn’t find.

My understanding is the CMPS will work plugged straight into the MMA port on the PCB for all intents and purposes? Or do you need to run a second Arduino?

It doesn’t matter what orientation the CMPS is as long as it’s stable? My PCB is perpendicular to the ground.

I have also ordered to robotelectronics.co.uk, and received yesterday from Devantech. For EU residents, be careful on transport selection. I took DHL, and paid additional 26,46 Euro for TVA and DHL import fee. This un addition to DHL transport charge. In total, around 85Euro. I forgot Brexit so that now in EU we have to import from UK.

This one in France has some stock left
https://www.gotronic.fr/art-boussole-miniature-compensee-cmps14-29324.htm

1 Like

depending on your steer board it may fit. Double triple make sure the pinouts are the same as well as the required orientation, then check one more time to be sure. The pins of the cmps are out the top, some have desoldered and moved the pins to the bottom to allow plugging when.

But check check check…

1 Like

@BrianTee_Admin Reading your last post it sounds like orientation is important. Did you try yours upside down?

I tried mine upside down, but that didn’t work well.
I putted some stacking headers (from a canbus board) in the socket from the MMA and then i could put the CMPS14 in these headers.
At first it looked fine, but Roll went from -1 to 0 and furter to -359 degrees instead of +1.
Sometimes when there was a lot of roll the driving direction even changed.
Then i turned over my hole box and it worked fine.
So i think am gonna try to desolder the pins and solder them back on the other way. (But first order a spare one. :wink:)

1 Like

@Nukkes Thanks, looks like I had better practice my desoldering.:slightly_smiling_face:

Darn, i forgot to :frowning:

Not sure if this helps, but I simply bent the header pins of the CMPS14 90degrees so it stands vertically which gave me plenty of room to rotate it 180 degrees, seems to work fine.

@BrianTee_Admin No worries, I’m sure you have plenty of other things to think about right now!

@Seymour_Clevage Thanks, did you have to change any settings? I would have thought bending pins like that would change all of your axis. Or did you mount your pcb vertically so the CMPS then rides horizontally?

I am using agopengps V5, I just hit reset IMU in the gps settings menu, waited for it to re calibrate and was sweet. Ill double check tomorrow that it all works well and let you know.

www.exp-tech.de, there is mine from, superfast delivery (1d)

1 Like

Hi! Are you planning an update of your mod for the .ino V5? Would be great! :wink:

The jitter issue is already solved in V5, but I didn’t test V5 myself yet. But yes, I think, I’ll copy the twist options.

1 Like

Hi.

If someone is interested here is a separate box for CMPS14 and nano for 3D printing.
If you download all there is a image of dimensions.

5 Likes

Turns out it only kinda worked, I had the pins bent roughly 70 degrees, so it was still picking up rotation, however it was super unstable so I have now re soldered the pins onto the other side

Voilà!

1 Like

You don’ need to “fix” the heading since AOG already does it and the CMPS never seems to point the right way anyway

Agree in that particular point, but that’s half of the story - in fact the unimportant part. The important one is calculating the roll angle - and this is not possible with AOG yet. So feel free to copy the code into the trunk of course.