CMPS14 Compass

Pareil pour moi. J’ai suivi le github de mathieu.
Je n’ai pas calibré, et tout marche très bien.
Super le bno085.

2 Likes

So for version 4.6 will the recommended imu be cmps14? Sounds like bno085 is better in the box then cmps14. I use via udp so there probably isn’t any ino for bno085 via udp? How easy is it to make ino for udp?

i have one, but it is for v4.6. I realise this is a completely useless comment for the discussion at this point - but will be important in a week or so

2 Likes

Gentlemen, maybe such an idea.
How much does such cmps14 or BNO085 cost? Not much.
Maybe try to put two or three units instead of one. If there are temporary disturbances on one, it can be detected by comparing it to the other unit.
It would only have to be included in the software.
What do you think?
I feel that this can be a very good solution to this type of problem.

The CMPS actually works extremely well. No comparison to the 055 or brick.

There was a research paper on your idea from about 20 years ago, considering the idea never caught on, it didn’t seem to work all that well or better then just a reasonable single

To get CMPS14 to fit in the mma socket, have people re-soldered the pins on the other way around? as when I have looked at the pin out, it places it above the ads1115, and therefore will not fit in. Am I right or all wrong?

I make extention wire with Dupont cable

But my problem is the CMS is too noisy for BNO function , so now i use only for roll
Some person say that he need to be put out of the box but i2c limit the lengh (or this solution BNO085 or BNO080 IMU - #61 by BrianTee_Admin)

I m waiting the new version with AGIO to put somewhere alone

Hello,

I am working on my first Autosteer setup and plan to use the CMPS14 also. The question I have is there a preferred placement? I have read discussion on the forum that the CMPS14 works better in some location then in others in the tractor. Is there anything to avoid? Will it work placed in the box with the PCB?

Neil

It’s probably best in a plastic box away from any big lumps of metal, or active electronics.
I put mine in its own small enclosure on the right hand door pillar, with a PCA9615 line driver so I could reliably run the signal down a few meters of ethernet cable.

The main steering board can then be placed in a metal box at a funny angle, to fit neatly under the side console.

@cquick could you post a couple pics of how you did this?

Do I need a PCA9615 line driver on each end of the the ethernet cable, or just at the autosteer board?

Neil

You’ll need a PCA9615 on each end. I incorporated it into my prototype PCB design, but Sparkfun do a suitable module.

6 Likes

Hello @baraki

Interesting results. In french telegram group some also observe some disturbance of CMPS depending on where they place it on the tractor.
In which mode did you run BNO08x ? Rotation Vector or Game Rotation Vector ? Background calibration enable or disable ?

I’m suprised that CMPS is faster than BNO08x alone. CMPS is based on a BNO080, so all measurement are the same between to boards. Only difference : CMPS has additionnal µC to covernt quaternion into degree and convert “HillcrestLab SHTP I2C format” into “standart I2C bus” (see my previous post about it.
Instinctively I would said that du to that, the CMPS would be slower than a BNO where we acces directly to the values (not throught a additionnal µC). Although I expected it to be very little noticeable.

I’ve received a CMPS, I will try too.

Math

1 Like

It will be very interesting to hear what you discover. There was a clear preference for the cmps14 stated on the zoom meeting a month or so ago but it was backed up by no detail or information.

My observations are “by eye” not supported by hard measurements so they may be subjective and I could be wrong. BNO 080 sparkfun used in game rotation vector mode with autocalibration off, used your INO. In my experience to date, the BNO080 works very well and is easy to use, it doesn’t need to be mounted outside the main box. CMPS14 is ok but I had problems with PCA9615, there were copies that did not work, on average 2/10 were broken and did not work, one piece disconnected the com port

Is there a new PCB being released soon to replace PCB v2
Wanting to start building a system but is it better to wait for the new version

there are many version and sources out there, but even the new release wil work with everything ever made

2 Likes

And pcb version 2 will work with new aog?

1 Like

Yes of course

Hi,

Some posts above @BrianTee_Admin mentioned there will be a own IMU module. That means a second nano only for it?
So it would be independant from evey PCB that is used.

Only a question at the side. CMPS seems to be the official one and i assume it will be covered in the support files INO.
Would it be possible to add there the BNO085 as well and we can choose witch one is used?
BNO085 looks to me to be easier to purchase.

Regards

1 Like

Yes for nano+IMU, i use this way in 4.6.20 tests, CMPS14+Nano.

We are working in BNO08x ino’s, we hope everything is ready.