Connected devices in multiple tractors

I think of google sheets, if anyone has ever used a shared sheet, when two people are in at a time you will see which cell they are highlighting at a given time and can watch it move arround as they work.

I think it would be more of a cool to have for things like combines.

For drills/sprayers/applicators being able to see what is done by another unit in the field I can see huge benefit to. Get some of these really pot hole filled fields and being able to tell exactly where the other units have been would be super handy.

For cool its enough to have other tractor work dispayed as backround image and write your tractor work normally. @KentStuff is relly close on this.

When just following other tractor as seeding / rolling combo it dosnt require section control can as just image.

For seeding / sedding when 2 tractors do evry other line and having it paint 2 colors to understand whats is your line. Whould be cool.

As small farm only time when 2 machines are in one field is when trying to sync combine and tractor with trailers to offload grain without stopping maybe some form of calculator for that be cool for night work.

Good ideas.

If each section file had a reference point at the beginning of the file, then you could load whatever you needed. It would not be tied to a field.

I converted a large chunk of AOG to save and read kml only. It was based on lat and long not easting and nothing. Larger data files, but you could load any line or any section regardless of how or when it was created. This may end up to be the best way. Boundaries and all were done in kml. All were shareable. Still thinking.

1 Like

How much larger now NTRIP is about 2mb/h of data so most basic internet plan works.

What about longer range wifi / radio to comunicate between tractors to have AOG info shared on local network and have wifi hotspot to other tractor for NTRIP? That whould offset any data bandwith needed to local network.

1 Like

Would geoJson be a good data format?

I looked this up, there appears to be no z value. I’ll look deeper.

Add another idea… lol

Being able to “snap” one vehicle to another…

Think grain cart, in cart tractor click on combine, auto steer within range to a defined distance beside. A speed “light bar” informs operator of speed required to keep cart in pre set zone from combine. Warning if falling out. Sensor from scale alerts when full

In combine,
When cart in range and auger is out, “section control” engages auger motor. If cart falls out of range auger shuts off. Cart turns different colour when full and shuts off auger…

Edit: zone settings would need to come from combine

I guess I’m trying to come up with a standard data format that makes it easy to share and view the data in other apps. Hence the question here about John Deere.

Well ideally there are proprietary formats from deere and other manufacturers to make it dificult as posible to switch to competitors system.

Universal file makes it more difficult to lock you into ecosystem.

If Deere is apple then AOG is like right to repair oposite side of industry. Sooner or later when you will not own a john deere tractor but “lease” it when they decide that DIY autosteer is dangerous and will lock your tractor because of it, they have that option right now.

Yes, they do.

It appears that they are storing the conditions of every corn seed. Or that is the goal. Talk about a lot of data. We won’t start there. Let’s start with layers. My tractor, my settings, my lines, my sections. Then we add layers, your tractor, your lines your sections etc. If mine are updated every few seconds and yours are also. Then I just need to import yours, and pick display colors. If yours are displaying red, I can overplant, but if I display yours as green, then no. Or the other way round.

3 Likes

With advancements in variable rates there are multiple precision farming consulting outfits that are building field maps for variable rate planting and fertilizer. There must be a way for those maps to be loaded into the big named systems for use, otherwise why bother.

All very good points and cool ideas but the first and biggest gain is just two or more equipment sharing a/b line(s) and boundary from one online storage file, painlessly.

Just that small step would be huge, it already kinda works, just the steps are not streamlined.

It would need a “save field to cloud” button, or “load field from cloud” that would facilitate field and AB data to your server file link. All on the existing field file selection popup.

Whats expected data flow? Maybe local server on one tablet and have wifi hotspot to other tablet. (If you can stay in range). Data caps are real problem. Only upload back to cloud periodically every few minutes.

Most ideal cloud based so any AOG system can connect to your fields folder with password and download that field data and start working on it (when you change AOG version or tablets but forget to copy paste those files).

If all your tractors are reporting position, speed and other data it wouldn’t be far to combine that data on to a map and have all farm jobs displayed as some $$$ commercial system. This truly is step to smart integrated farm.