Control point on implement

@BrianTee_Admin has been talking about this on telegram chat, so maybe he will get to to it before @jimc. Or maybe they can both work on it!

Can it not be steering like plough steering and use a was sensor and XTE msg from AOG telling left or right steering to a pwm valve?

I have hardware here to do the POE panda unit on the implement. I will be working on it some more coming up. I have been diverted to other projects for the moment. Lots of interesting ideas. BrianTee will be working on some implement steering stuff and I will be working on other in parallel. We will see how it all goes.

3 Likes

Have any of you pursued the implement guidance any more? I was thinking of building another rtk board to attach antenna onto planter. Then can use the board to control a steerable 3 point hitch. Is anybody doing this already? I’m actually looking into designing a 3 point adapter for trailed implements also to utilize with the old engineer of Sunco hitches which is now out of business. They utilized feelers for full mounted implements, my thought is AOG putting the equipment right on the line behind the AOG steered tractors.

Are you sure they are out of business?

https://suncofarmequipment.com/implement-guidance-hitch.html

Yes, the owner died, 2 years later the company shut down. There was no patent in place so engineer took off from there and started a new company that will be out this coming spring.

I have not had much time to work on it yet but it is in the plans for this winter. May get to do some testing next spring with our planters. Harvesting now.

I was thinking of building another rtk system with another tablet just to control the implement hitch. Do you think it will work or know if anyone is doing it already?

Any updates on passive implement guidance testing?

From my end, I have made no progress.

No worries, I have been thinking about how to potentially simplify this process. Fair warning that I am just spit balling and by no means a programmer or code writer.

But couldn’t we use the current AOG Algorithms for the implement but write in real time offset corrections to the tractor based on the actual position of the implement from an RTK receiver placed on the implement–theoretically, the tractor setup and steering would remain the same.

Could create a tail wagging the dog situation for excessively tight turns but I would think it would be better on contours.

Thoughts?

Several have suggested the same thing. It is so simple it might just work.

A start would be mounting a receiver on the implement and positioning the tool off of that.

I have thought about this as well…essentially all the electronics can stay in the tractor you just need to move the antenna to the implement with a long enough coax

1 Like

If it is this simple, have you already tried how the tractor steers, specifically on contour waylines or when tilt angle is changing? How do you define the GNSS antenna position by AOG setting? I guess you assume additional geometry, like for the implement today?

I’ve never seen a commercial autosteer system using a single antenna at the implement. It is either a single antenna at the tractor and the autosteer SW driving “off the wayline” if needed to make the implement follow the defined wayline (this is usually called “control point on implement”) or the system working with two receivers (tractor and implement). Implement steering can be active or passive on the latter case.

I wasnt saying that it would work that easily, just ment itd be simple to test without having to move a bunch of electronics to the implement. JD does it with 2 recievers as you stated and there globes have terrain compensation built in.

I would love to get this to work. Using a 3-pt pivot track closer (Patriot) is a PITA since, especially on the inner circles, you have a pretty sharp angle so becomes a bit of a challenge keeping the closer in the actual rut.

A 3-pt implement (track closer, mower, box blade etc) would essentially be an extension of the steering angle past the drive wheels. I don’t know a thing about coding but seems like at least that would be a reasonably easy project without needing a second F9P/antenna?

Or in this case has anyone tried putting the antenna on a rigid/3 point implement and having it successfully follow the line with the implement rather than drive wheels? I’m still waiting on hardware but this is my biggest goal for my own AOG build.