Controlling existing Deere hydraulic autosteer valve with AOG

Take a Multimeter and put it on the diode setting. Check the coil in each direction to see if there is a diode built into the coil (there probably isn’t). Next use the multimeter continuity setting to check for continuity between the main casing of the valve and each lead (there probably won’t be continuity).

If there is no diode and no continuity to the block then there is no polarity. You can use either wire as ground.

1 Like

The polarity doen’t matter, BUT if you want to make an Y-connector, then you have to know the pinout.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. I will not work with a Y-connector. At the moment I install the original John Deere valve to get the hydraulic side original. For controlling the valve I would like to use AOG. So there is no John Deere terminal or something else. But I like to ask before I burn something.

I am finding it hard to set min pwm setting for the danfoss…It seems that a very different nmber is needed for minimum movement left, vs minimum movement right…

On our 8260r, I had the same problem, so I modified the INO to output different pwm to left and right. Maybe someone has a better solution?

Im wondering if its related to the control voltage, from what I understand, the Danfoss reads the US / control voltage as a % of the UDC / supply voltage, so if its 12v supply, then 6V would be center / no flow, 3v would be hard let, and 9v would be hard right… Im feeding the UDC supply pin with a relay from the lock output, so just normal tractor battery voltage, 13-14v when running…, what im wondering is does the output from the danfoss US pin on the AIO board take into account this, or is it regulated / stable so as the tractor voltage increases the output is the same? If so that would then offset the center as the battery voltage increases?

Of course if the danfoss output from the PCB is just PWM of the input voltage, then this wouldnt matter at all…

That could be. Ours is not a danfoss, so I’m not sure what we have going on.

Hi, I have a autotrac ready 6155m with a WAS and a fema hydraulic valve with three coils. I’m looking to add a agopengps system to this tractor. To summarise this thread, am I right in thinking:

• The OEM WAS can be directly spliced into/y connected on the purple signal 1 wire and the brown ground wire and wired into my PCB, making sure agopen is in differential mode?

• I can wire the first two hydraulic coils directly to my Cytron, and supply relayed 12V power to the 3rd coil? Is there different settings to use in agopen to drive this fema valve as opposed to the off the shelf bang bang valve I’ve been using? And is there any pin/connection in Brian’s PCB board that can be used to activate a relay for the 3rd coil? I don’t have the teensy which looks like that covers this.

• If the tractor throws errors on startup, either live with it or disconnect the SSU? Does anyone have a photo of what this looks like?

Many thanks.

Are you sure the SSU is installed? I always thought “autotrac-ready” just meant it had all the wiring harness, the WAS, and steering valve but not necessarily the SSU and monitor (which itself contains autotrac). On most tractors it’s installed under the back panel of the cab (on the outside of the cab). It’s trivial to disconnect if it’s there (you’ll have to remove the isobus pigtail at the back of the tractor’s implement isobus plug possibly).

I had a play with it today, It seems I have a ‘steering controller’ installed. Unplugging that got rid of all the errors relating to cables being unplugged etc, but got a hole heap of communication errors from unplugging the controller that are more persistent, So I think I’ll just live with the start-up errors.

I was able to get rid of the error code for the 3rd/activation solenoid by putting a resistor on the plug, but that was the only one I was successful with. The only way I could get rid of the left/right solenoid errors, was to plug in some old solenoids I had laying around which obviously isn’t a practical solution.

1 Like

Hi, I have a autotrac ready 6155m with a WAS and a fema hydraulic valve with three coils. I’m looking to add a agopengps system to this tractor. To summarise this thread, am I right in thinking:

The OEM WAS can be directly spliced into/y connected on the purple signal 1 wire and the brown ground wire and wired into my PCB, making sure agopen is in differential mode?

Yes, that’s correct

Screenshot_2023-06-26-14-13-30-60_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12
Screenshot_2023-06-26-14-13-30-60_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12
1080×2400 181 KB
I can wire the first two hydraulic coils directly to my Cytron, and supply relayed 12V power to the 3rd coil?

Yes, that’s correct

Is there different settings to use in agopen to drive this fema valve as opposed to the off the shelf bang bang valve I’ve been using?

My settings
Prop. Gain: 10
Max.: 135
Min.: 55

And is there any pin/connection in Brian’s PCB board that can be used to activate a relay for the 3rd coil?

I have the AiO board. This board has the 12v output to unlock the valve

I don’t have the teensy which looks like that covers this.
Screenshot_2023-06-26-14-27-13-14_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12
Screenshot_2023-06-26-14-27-13-14_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12
1080×2400 180 KB
If the tractor throws errors on startup, either live with it or disconnect the SSU? Does anyone have a photo of what this looks like?

I have 2 errors at startup, i live with it

Many thanks.

Cheers!

I was able to stop all codes on startup on my 6930, but I still find if AOG makes sudden movements of steering it throws a code… I thought maybe at first it was some slight voltage droop under high load, but I think the stock SSU must have some code in it which monitors the factory encoders (very high resolution on the deeres) and the WAS…and i it sees a huge WAS change, with no encoder movement when its not commanding steering it must detect this as a problem, and throw a code, anyone else seen this behaviour? Only way I think I could fix it would be to stop piggy backing the WAS and just put a resistor instead so its happy on startup, and can no longer see steering angle…

Interesting. Do you have a John Deere computer monitor installed still as well? What were the codes that came up?

Yes, I installed on a 6430 Premium autotrack ready using oem was, valve and encoder.

The SSU will give a code and disable autotrac since the encoder didn’t give the signal he is expecting. Safety to be sure it will receive a signal if operator grab the steering wheel.
@WildBuckwheat experienced the same I think.

I was thinking maybe there is an accessible setting to disable autotrac? So it would not monitor the encoder.

Now it also gives a code at startup when the AOG board is not powerred but I didn’t take time to look at it.

I do have a 2630 that was installed for a short while, but not most of the time… Does it either way (code is thrown on command center not the 2630…)

Will try and remember to look at the code tomorrow, did look at it on service advisor once before but was a while ago to remember now!

Best thing would be to just put resistors in and make the stock SSU happy, or to just unplug it and disable it full stop, but as its set up at the moment, you can use both systems, I can plug sf3000 and 2630 in and it will steer without touching anything, which is a nice backup if AOG system failed etc…

1 Like

The code at startup is the chip used for the anolog input, for some reason when the board is powered down it pulls the voltage to ground… I had the same issue, I just put the WAS input on a small relay that powered with the AOG PCB, that way its only connected when turned on, which stops that code from happening, mine is code free now other than the weird one when it steers sharp as above.

1 Like

Thanks Peter, much appreciated

1 Like

Hi Peter,

I was just wondering wether you have been able to plug into the OEM steering encoder on the 6155 and do you have any info for this? Like how to access it and what wires are what?

Also, of its helpful to anyone, I have found completely unplugging the steering controller unit does eliminate any errors for unplugged WAS or coils. I’m yet to see if this holds for unplugged encoder. There is a ‘missing communication’ error, but it is only an ‘info’ type error and just stays stored in the active codes but doesn’t beep at you and flash on startup. I think the errors I reported in my previous post were CCU related.

If it’s helpful to anyone reading, I’m a little ashamed to admit it is fairly easy to fry a cab controller unit…
When testing my setup I spliced my Cytron into the existing plugs for the hydraulic coils and energised the valve. I didn’t want to cut the harness at this point. Worked fantastic! But upon turning off the key, wipers come on, work lights come on, one blinker stays on, and a zillion active coads. 2K, a few tech visits, and a new CCU later, I’m back on track. Surprisingly the steering controller was not affected at all. Just the CCU. My theory is that my Cytron might have sent some reverse polarity and current to the CCU through a common ground. Maybe this will help someone to avoid what I did. :wink: I plan to unplug the JD harness and only use an AOG harness.

3 Likes

I have a thread regarding the stock encoder, forget what it was called but will try and link it when im on my computer later

2 Likes