CORS vs Personal RTK Base Station

Fair enough. But as I stated when I don’t filter them. That means when all types are accepted. It has been a while since I have had them all turned on. I am from Florida, so I am a little closer to the equater than many, especially those in Alaska. Lol some times we forget they are up there.

Point being. You don’t need but a few visible satellites to get a fix as long as the base and rover are receiving the same ones. The larger the spread the more accurate the altitude.

It has been stated a few times the helical style antenna appears to do better in trees. I have no way to prove or dispove this. I have the helical style only, and it works well. A lot of information out there on mounting and ground plates.

Biggest thing I can say in all this, use what works for you. Study and don’t be afraid to try.

Would I do this in uCenter while enabling my CORS corrections? Or what would be the process so I can switch back and forth with no shift in anything?

Use u-center’s ntrip client to connect to your CORS network. Your base f9p should get a rtk fix, then survey in your position.

1 Like

I’ve always logged my receiver GGA messages and done averaging “manually”. Didn’t come to my mind using the survey in feature, I guess I thought it would use raw measurements. If it is using RTK corrected data, then much easier with survey in.

Setting the base this way eliminates any PPP, correct?

If I set the base this way, does the distance to the CORS station still matter? I’m wondering if my lines will shift when switching based on the error produced from distance, or does the survey-in function eliminate this.

Theoretically. I’m not sure where survey-in comes into this and why it was mentioned. The original idea was to use the CORS network to get the corrected RTK position of your base station antenna and then hard code that position (lat, lon, and elevation) into your base station receiver instead of doing a survey-in. And in this case, no you wouldn’t collect data and then use a PPP service to lock in your base station position.

Although maybe the data collection and PPP route is the best way to go and would be the most consistent with the CORS reference stations.

Regardless of what you do you might still find a small shift when switching between your base station and CORS, since the farther you are from a base station, the higher probability of error in the position, no matter how well referenced the base station is.

1 Like