Dual GPS setups

Hello Matthias, curious enough I’m again facing the Ntrip reboot issue (pbuf…). Now with the ESPduino which worked fine a month ago. I’ll do some more troubleshooting and respond back. It’s not due to power supply or ntrip packet size which I have checked again. v309 or v4 same.

Edit 20/3: doesn’t work with all connections checked, reuploaded config files, switched the two F9P’s in place again to be sure, tested all RX/TX combinations in the webpage. Sure I am missing something as I’m the only one facing these problems? It is with v4, latests ESP code and a ESP32 ESPduino device.

To give an idea with the extra antenna cables in the box it only just fits together with one wifi antenna.

Schermafbeelding 2020-03-18 om 20.02.49 PM Schermafbeelding 2020-03-18 om 20.03.22 PM

1 Like

Hello @kareldew, making the idea exactly what we had, super! Glad I found this topic. Have an F9P with XBEE and a Base on the farm myself, only stopped because the heading and roll were a problem. (we work at very low speed, and the machine must immediately know an absolute position).
A mobile GPS bar with an ESP32 and the code of @MTZ8302 seems a very nice solution. Before I order an extra Zed-F9P, would you like to know if you have any tips that I should pay attention to? Does it work well with AOG v4? Does this solution only work with NTRIP from AOG, or can he also get the info from a Base via XBEE?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Well the box is 200x120x75 mm which is at the lower limit for the contents in my case. A one meter antenna cable would suffice. First time I used riveting to attach a corner to the profile, which is actually very simple and effective. The reasoning for the box behind the profile is that it’s less top-heavy and the corner takes the impact of whatever might touch the roof and not the box. In that respect the antennas and the ground planes are the weakest parts, I imagine they will get bent one day by branches.

I did not test with v4 yet but Matthias and Brian are working hard on the integration of both, I can only applaud their efforts. I have to check the connections again so I can test my setup hopefully this weekend.

new Dual GPS code on GitHub. Hope it solves the jumping bug. Please report if it is not working.

GitHub - mtz8302/AOG_GPS_ESP32: DUAL or SINGLE GPS bridge between AgOpenGPS an GPS receiver. Works with 2 UBlox to calculate heading+roll. Corrects and filters. ESP32 + Arduino MEGA

4 Likes

Hello together.

Thank you two for the big effort in dual GPS. Today I tested V4.1 with the new code from 9days ago. It works really great except the jumping issues. For me it seems like the heading is lost some time and then a wrong heading (a few degrees off) is there for about 5 seconds. The tractor instantly turns sharp to the left or right. After stopping the tractor and wait a short bit, the correct heading comes back and we can start again. In 2 hours it happens maybe 5 times, so quite hard to screenrecord. I will try again the next days.
Can I help in any way? Record data? Or is it not possible to drive and record at the same time?

Could be a problem related to your RTK base. What kind of setup do you have there?

If you have a F9P + RaspBerry Pi and U are also running the inject RTCM 1008 python script U should update it as there was two bugs in the code. It was discussed here on Injekt RTCM 1008 - #28 by esuomala
and eringerli has also got it fixed in his git: GitHub - eringerli/RpiNtripBase

1 Like

I use the SAPOS HEPS of nort rhine Westfalia. So I hope there is no problem :wink:

1 Like

There seems to be Satellite problems.
this is from Telegram:
Alexander, [30.03.20 20:18]
[In reply to Wolle]
By the way, it was mentioned in one AMS chat, that JD has made software update for its Starfire, due to some trouble with one of Glonass satellites. The Russian sat translated incorrect data and it was unused in further updates.
I noticed that it runs RTK fine if I do Not use glonass corrections at all - only 1005 and a group of MSM7 (Galileo, GPS, Beidou) messages

I’m familiar with that issue, my neighbour uses a AgLeader Paradyme system and also had this issue with glonass, it was in oct’19 and the dealer reprogrammed his system to only use GPS for the time being. Don’t know how it goes for now…

I was testing this evening my M8t Base and Rover.
When Glonass was enabled, position was Fixed, but there was many jumps. Without Glonass, position was clean and stady.

Hi @kareldew, did you have time to test your setup? I’m looking for the final decision to order my second f9p to start as well.

Hi @MylArti what firmware are u using in the m8t 2.30 or 3.01 ?

Hi @pauluzs It is 3.01.
Version

Thanks, running the same here. Haven’t noticed the jumps yet, at least there is a temp fix by disabling gps.

No not yet, it’s still on the surgical table to check bottom-up where I have made an error. First got some spring work to do.

I disabled glonass and today it went pretty well. At the beginning 2 times strange values but afterwards everything went well. Hopefully this was it. :crossed_fingers:

hello, dear AOG community.
I got debug error message when starting up the AOG 4, while having ESP32 dual ant.connected by usb:

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at AgOpenGPS.CNMEA.ParseOGI() in C:\Users\Grizs\Desktop\SourceCode\GPS\Classes\CNMEA.cs:line 490
   at AgOpenGPS.CNMEA.ParseNMEA() in C:\Users\Grizs\Desktop\SourceCode\GPS\Classes\CNMEA.cs:line 257
   at AgOpenGPS.FormGPS.ScanForNMEA() in C:\Users\Grizs\Desktop\SourceCode\GPS\Forms\Position.designer.cs:line 98
   at AgOpenGPS.FormGPS.tmrWatchdog_tick(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\Grizs\Desktop\SourceCode\GPS\Forms\GUI.Designer.cs:line 1142
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I also have questions about ubx setup:
I had connected everything like Matthias mentioned in the code section :
ESP______R(MB) __ L(rvr)
Rx1 (IO27) - Tx1
Tx1 (IO16) - RX1
Rx2 (IO25) -------------- Tx1
TX2 (IO17) -------------- Rx1

RightBrd Rx2 - LeftBrd Tx2 (in ardusimple means Right sends RTCM to Left ! )

Left antenna is Rover, Right antenna is Mov.base, is it correct ? That means that Right antenna is sending RTCM data to Left antenna. Than why does left antenna (rover) send data from UART2 ? It doesn’t have connection any where in wiring, so where does it send the data?
Please, advice, why do I get the debug message error in AOG?
I use USB connection, not wifi.

Hello, you have also to wire tx2 to rx2 and rx2 to tx2 of the two F9p. So the PVT one send rtcm3 to the MB for RELPOSNED.

@MTZ8302 I guess what Alex wants to know: is this instruction in the readme file equivalent to uploading the two config files?

Config via UCenter: First set on both boards UART1 speed to 115200, UART2 speed to 460800 and activate NMEA+UBX+RTCM3 to inputs and UBX +RTCM3 to output on UART1+2. Then set Nav Rate to 100ms (10Hz). In the messages I deactivated everything expect of (UBX) NavPVT and (NMEA) GSV on UART1 at one board and NavRelPosNED on UART1 at the other board. At both activate the RTCM messages 1077/1087/1097/1127/1230/4072.0/4072.1 on UART2.

I tried setting it manually and maybe it is because of interpretation that it did not work in AOG (empty PAOGI sentence) and I set it back with the config files. Also USB connection with laptop was constantly interrupting @alexbrooy so best to use the config files.

I updated all the software, AOG and ESP code to the latest versions and the reboot at NTRIP start is now gone. I must have downloaded the wrong ones couple weeks ago. I have tested shortly outside and everything looks to work OK.

@Franz that is not my experience, you need to connect RX2 of the correct F9P to the TX2 of the other F9P and nothing else or it doesn’t work. Connect as shown in the introduction of the .ino file from Matthias.

Also good to know clearly, in AOG under data sources, pick:
Fix from OGI - 10Hz
GPS Heading from Dual
Heading correction source none
Roll source UDP

Also I figured out, that rover doesn’t really need to send RTCM back. Checked yesterday in real life. So, MB has to send RTCM, but Rover has not to. May be it will keep some cpu performance.