Dual GPS setups

And the Extra Long Range radios are the SX Pro? The Long Range & Extra Long Range radios appear interchangable except that not all boards with the XBee socket can support the Pro’s higher power consumption when transmitting but as @torriem mentioned earlier, the rover doesn’t need the high power radios because it only needs to receive.

That appears to be correct, yes. I wonder if ardusimple would preprogram them to whatever packet preamble and hopping channel you want in case there are other radios in the area that might conflict.

Can I add the size of each packet from the ublox packet console to calculate the air data rate in the radio ? I am trying to get the maximum range out of these rfd900x radios. I have the baud set at 460k to match uart2 in the dual setup.

But isn’t 1 Hz enough for the ntrip signal, to achieve rtk fix, even in dual setup? So baud rate could probably be quite low I guess.

This one with the spring connectors? GitHub - faludi/xbee-smt-socket-tht-adapter: XBee SMT Socket -> THT Adapter
or this one without the springs? GitHub - faludi/xbee-smt-tht-adapter: XBee SMT -> THT Adapter, including XBee PRO SX

Here’s some info from Digi regarding how the pin mapping and layouts compare.
https://www.digi.com/resources/documentation/Digidocs/90001506/Default.htm#containers/cont_migrate_th_smt.htm

Sounds like XBee TH (or THT) is the standard form factor and XBee SMT is the SX radio style.

Edit:
Boards for purchase

Yes. 1Hz is plenty. Some messages can even be 0.1Hz. I’m only using the following messages: 1005(0.1hz), 1008(0.1hz), 1077(1hz), 1087(1hz), 1097(1hz), 1230(0.1hz) and 57600 baud. I think I could use 38400 probably. If you turn on more messages you might need more bandwidth of course.

2 Likes

Yes I looked at the board with spring clips. Unfortunately the clip things are hard to find and expensive. And for reliability soldering to the board and using the XBee-style headers would be more reliable. I was just thinking if I kept the little module clean it could be placed into my Digi programmer board if I needed to tweak a setting like the baud rate.

However I could just as well do it with some kind of Xbee to serial USB adapter though, if I used a module soldered to an adapter board.

Yes, I have run rtcm3 messages (group 7) at 38k baud 1hz with a single rover, and it worked well, but with the dual, I believe that the MB receiver is also calculating heading and roll with the rover receiver on the same uart2. I ran it at 115k and it seemed okay, but was concerned about that low of a baud since Mattias stated to run at 460k. I’m not sure how to test what is needed short of trial and error. I know that high of baud is shortening my radio distance, but thought if I can reduce air speed, I might extend it some ???

Lower air speed should improve receiver sensitivity and should help with range.

1 Like

It’s on 64kbps now. I wonder how low I can go. It just needs to be higher than the packet size, right ? I was planning to add the size of each message in the packet and set it just above that.
Edit
I tried to lower the air rate to 57 and it didn’t work correctly. Put it back to 64 and went ahead and lowered the baud in the radios and GPS to 230k. Works well with no loss of rtk. Will test distance when I can.

Everything is working well except I still have the offset when going north and south, and the HDOP in AOG is all over from 5 to 29. I mean the number next to 10Hz that is just above rtk fix. Checked both GPS modules and HDOP is .5 to .6 always.

IMG_3643 IMG_3648

Top picture headed north on turn rows. 20 ft drill in correct position to previous pass which was sown headed south. Still east and west are fine ???
The other picture just showing HDOP. Took 5 pictures back to back and had 10 to 16 in a couple seconds. I put stainless steel ground planes on my antenna bar, with ublox antennas attached with screws. Went ahead and put a thin circle of carbon steel under them, thinking it was a ground plane problem, but no change.
Could use some suggestions with this as well
Thanks

The number you are looking at is the computer frame refresh rate!
More to do with your computer horsepower.
And 5 to 29 is fairly good, in the hundreds…bad!

With the offset issue, are you sure you have your offset +/- set correctly?

Thanks Brofarm, that’s a relief.
Thanks Darren, I have my offset corrected in vehicle 1 inch right. It will run east and west near exact, but north and south, the vehicle on the screen, is always about 6 feet to the left ( if I remember correctly) of actual position. Offset in the web interface is 0. No other offsets are applied.
I did notice yesterday when I lost rtk that the vehicle moved to the right and centered the left antenna.
Edit
I have built another dual esp32 for another tractor. I will test it in the next couple days to see if it behaves the same.

I had a very similer issue and was caused by offset +/ - value being incorrect on my part, had me confused for a long time!

I remember there were a problem with calculations of northing and easting, they were different in inch and centimeter. So what happens if you change to centimeters?

1 Like

I didn’t have any change with metric from imperial, so I built another dual antenna setup. I used a different tablet with v4.3.10 instead of 4.1, that I used in the previous pictures, just to rule it out. I currently have 124cm distance between antennas, and 63 antenna offset. No offset in aog. 400cm implement width.IMG_3656 IMG_3655
East and west are pretty well right on, but when I head north or south it fades right out to half of the opposite direction paint line. I forgot to take the pictures with base turned on, but I tested it both ways and it is the same results.
darrenjlobb, do you recall the offsets that you struggled with. I really fail to see it affecting NS and not EW, but I want to check everything possible.
Regardless, I now have 2 identical units doing the same thing. Both loaded with 1.13 config files. Could the earlier, 1.12 make a difference ?

Note. If I am half a swath off from north to south, then isn’t that 1/4 overlap since I’m traveling both directions ?

Have you a picture of your antenna setup and esp setup web page and Aog settings?

IMG_3667 IMG_3661 IMG_3662 IMG_3663 IMG_3664 IMG_3658 IMG_3659 IMG_3660
When I switch tablets I’ll be running v4.1 and roll is UDP, this was just for testing.
I think I need to uncheck “use aog ntrip” being I’m using corrections from my base ?

Unfortunately can’t read esp pictures,they’re too small.
Have you tired removing the antenna in the middle, perhaps getting interference?