Friction Wheels

So I ended up getting the 4 bolt flanges for 12mm shafts from Amazon and then found a 1/2 NFPT to 3/4 male PVC adapter fit over the flange. I then got a 3/4x3/4 female PVC coupler to go on top of that. I found a piece of 1 1/4 reinforced tubing to fit over all of that. Seems to work pretty well but I will need to increase spring tension as it gets to slipping during very slow forward movement. I’ll try and get some pics tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas and help guys!

anyone think this would work? I can make the shaft 12mm and make a keyway. I could also turn the outer edge concave if it would help but I’m wondering if the rubber would be too hard?
ICC 75mm Rubber Wheel Only with 10mm Bore|Castors (castors-online.co.uk)

I got a couple of these in different sizes, but haven’t had cause to try them yet:

It may work, from past experience, the grippier, the better. Those are cheap enough to try. Let me know if you get it to work. I wish there was a better way to adapt rc car wheels to 12mm (other that welding a tapped bolt head to sprocket). The task was to tedious for me. I attached one by another means with tape around AL hub from Phidgets for a tight fit. Worked really well and gripped good. Just had to redo tape after baked in sun. Tried the cheap version of trimble and if motor tried to aggressively turn wheel, it would chew chunks out of rub wheel. Switched to the trimble rub wheels with adapter hubs from Phidgets. works well, but is close to $50.

1 Like

Think id try that castor wheel and if it didnt work try the rc car wheel,i could even turn an aluninium hub to mount the rc car tyre on?

i do friction on metal ring
even it is is not the subject

if you have acces to 3D printing, try to design you own shape in TPU . It wil really fantastic
just make a rim or use an Hexa head nut to keep torque

For my concept with 30mm gear external diameter i upload several parts to meet hexa bolt and nut

1 Like

The AL hub from Phidgets is for couple connection between 2 shafts. We call it a lovejoy. I sawed the ears off. It was a bit small for the wheels I had. You could probably find a higher profile rc wheel and turn hub to fit tight. I had to fill gap with something, so I used tape. Hub

1 Like

Just an update. I ended up getting one of those 4 bolt flanges and then found a piece of 3/4 PVC pipe fit over that snuggly and a piece of 1 1/4 over that with a vinyl hose on the outside for more traction. It works pretty good though I’m upgrading to hydraulic already as I can’t stand listening to the motor running back and forth.

I went with foam aeroplane wheels

Made a nylon hub quickly to try

3 Likes

can you share the link and stl?

Foam Wheels 75mm (rapidrcmodels.com) these are the wheels.

what is stl?

STL is support for printing

slt20-silikon-tekerlek-2-adet-silikon-tekerlekler-jsumo-5034-12-O

The tire has widened. Instead, I cut and installed the cooling radiator pipe of the vehicles. Has been working for 3 years.

1 Like

Not worth me printing them at £4each delivered

I finally found Adapter 12mm clamp
Tires

Or could go with Trimble ezsteer wheels

Not sure of dimension, but these Pattern hole adapters work great. I had to do a bit of grinding on corners but has worked great. The cheaper soft foam tires chew up easily. Trimble wheels are expensive, but grip and are made of hard foam. Last long time. The last rc car tires I bought were almost as good of foam as Trimble.

The spokes were a bit on light side. Hoping the rc wheel I linked is same compound with heavier rim spokes.

I have the same RC tire shown in your post and would sure appreciate it if you would post the details of the nylon flange you used. I am having a hard with Googling it.

Thanks

i made it out of nylon rod on my lathe :man_shrugging:

davidroberts30…Thanks for the quick reply…you have put an end to my fruitless hours of Google searches for nylon shoulder washers, Nylon round flanges, etc…lol. Now I will improve my Sketchup skills to make a good STL file and find someone to 3D print it.

Your quick response reminds me of one of my mother’s favorite sayings that fewer and fewer people these days, especially here in California, seem to remember…“It doesn’t cost anything to be kind or polite, so be both.”
Thanks again.

1 Like

as example a solution

the parts need to be done in tpu but it will be done in petg with a inner tube of bike

photo video and 3D files available here

2 Likes

I used a foam rc drag race tire as my friction wheel coupled with a 12mm flange from Amazon. I can send you the info/specs later if you want. The foam tire is very similar to the tremble setup. It’s worked very well for me and little to no wear so far. If I remember correctly the two pack of tires were $24 and the flanges were $8-10.