General Purpose Autonomous Rover

Make sure you follow Brian’s information on that thread. The possible fix is not a fix but a patch. Brian’s extra points in micro scale is the fix.

Yes you are. Dot net is all you need

Here is the GitHub that includes the you-turn changes for the micro. The points are set at a spacing of just a few centimeters. (Not good for big equipment.) I was able to run a 60 cm tool with some success. I think my radius was 80 or 100. Wheel base about 120 or so. Just kept playing with the other settings. I also modified the min and max settings in some of the forms to give some more options. It is by no means perfect but it is a start. The modifications are just for ABLine and AutoYouTurn. @bluerabbit Make small changes and test. @Larsvest You will need to load and compile it in Visual Studio.

This is based on Brian’s not ready version 4. Downloaded today 01-12-20.

@BrianTee_Admin All I really did was modify how often the youturn and dubins get made. By the way, I really like the night mode. I tried running the day mode and it randomly jumped back to night when I clicked some of the tool bars. I had made several changes by the time I was getting this problem. It may have been something I changed.

https://github.com/KentStuff/Micropengps

Depending on the time of day, and if you have auto day/night mode on, it will change to the mode based on sunrise sunset based on your gps position. I know, crazy!!

I thought that you might had configured it that way, but… Cool! Wrong place to post this, but, I like the set up as well. Played a bit with flags and boundary making. Much better than mine.

Thank you for leading the way. Unfortunately it is over my capability, and I MUST stop using so much time on this, as I don´t need it for my purpose, better get machinery ready for spring.
Couldn´t find the word compile in there.
For Bluerabbit this is how far I got:
Wanted to get to here but didn´t manage to get to see the text on screen.
Brians video # Languages Part Deux

Right click properties on the zip you downloaded and at the bottom click the unblock checkbox. Then unzip it and it will compile just fine
2020-01-13

@Larsvest That is correct. Be sure you delete what you already unzipped or it will haunt you.

Another way is when Visual Studio loads to the welcome screen, click the clone option to the right. In the top line put in the Web address found in github in the little green clone or download button. Once it has all downloaded, open the solution explorer. You may have to switch views, it should be a tool button in the solution explorer. Just click the other one. Look for the little locks beside the file names. That is what you want. Then you should be able to click start. Or you can build it from here. Sorry for the confusion calling it complile. Just dating myself. It is build in visual studio.

I finally got there, the clue was switch views, open the file tree and double click one of the files. I just have to find the right file now :slightly_smiling_face:

You should be able to build the project. Don’t worry about files right now. If your solution explorer shows little locks beside the file, you are good to build. The two main files I edited are dubins.cs and youturn.cs. Both under classes.

Making some small progress here.

The smallest tool size that I have been able to get working reliably is 2 x 50cm sections. Working with a turn radius of 270cm and an 85cm wheelbase, 2m Geofence DFB, 3m Uturn DFB and 4m uturn length, I’m getting the following reliably in the sim.

Going any smaller on the section size (total 1m) results in the uturn failing.

I’m actually pretty pleased with that, but I would need to do about 6 or so passes of the field starting at a slightly different position in order to achieve anything close to 100% saturation. That’s manageable.

What I would like to do next though is to reduce the distance between lines so that I can do more passes in one go, don’t suppose anyone has any simple tips? I’ll go back to that sharp uturn article and try to make more sense of it, but it does lose me quite a bit right now.

I can’t help but think it will take a lot of work and code change :frowning:

The youturn update Travis is currently working on should help you out. Its been a massive amount of work to figure out. Hopefully can get a working version up to Brian’s github within a few days. I’m cracking the whip as I want it done, but he wants it purfect. That takes time.

2 Likes

Did you try the Micropengps?

You guys are great, really appreciate all of your work.

I’ll wait in anticipation.

Having said that, I achieved the following quite easily in about 8 passes so even as it stands, this is workable for what I am trying to achieve. I need to get out again this weekend and see how it behaves with NTRIP running.

One further question if anyone can advise? I am looking at a cheap RTK solution and have in mind either the ardusimple board or Emlid Reach M+. Anyone know if either of these integrate well with AOG? I’m (naively perhaps) assuming that they will just connect as a GPS device…?

No.

Stupidly I had skimmed over your post thinking it was for Larsvest. I’m just looking at it now, will test and let you know how it goes.

RTK - I am also looking at this (although my application doesn’t quite need it). Cheapest seems RTKlib + m8t based receiver but it would require more plumbing. Would be interested in views.

OK, so now it appears to work reliably with a 30cm tool in the sim! That’s amazing.

Need to get out this weekend and test this in the real world, but it’s looking really promising. Thank you for your time on this, I will upload videos as soon as I get it working and show you what I am actually building here, how your code is being applied. It’s an interesting project if you’re into history :wink:

Also, you could potentially apply this to a huge civil engineering problem we have over here in the UK. The Victorians built some amazing utilities: sewers, water and gas pipes, etc. They did such a good job that these things have sat underground for over a century happily doing their job. But they never mapped their locations, so both farmers and builders over here have a bit of a problem when it comes to digging deep holes; they often hit one of these pipes and cause outages.

It’s a real problem and I wonder if AOG could be leveraged against it. I’ll be needing to attach a geophys device to this to find out.

The M8t receivers I just looked at are standard USB, they will integrate fine with AOG as far as I can see it. I am actually using a standard ublox USB GPS / GLONASS device (£8) and just connecting the relevant COM port in AOG (which AOG presents fine). I am using this as it was just less fiddly than an Arduino GPS.

It’s crap, my vehicle is running around like a headless chicken, but that’s probably down to the GPS fix flitting about. I’m reasonably confident that a Reach M+ would improve matters dramatically (though I must also admit that I had forgotten to activate NTRIP when I tested, so that alone may rectify things. Will test this weekend), but would rather have confirmed this before I splash out £200 on one. And I am still a little unclear as to whether I could use it standalone, or whether it’s going to require a base / rover design (so two devices).

Going to find out…

Sorry to spam, but as it stands, my vehicle will perform one complete pass of a field, then hit the boundary and stop. Is there any way to make it turn around and start a second pass?

Long shot, but worth asking.