GPS Setup

Hi I have the ardusimple LR kit. Base and rover. I am located in Canada. Should I use @Aortner config version 1.13?

Yes, 1.13.

I believe you’ll need to make a couple of changes so that it will send and receive rtcm corrections via the radios. I don’t remember offhand what they are though…

Was it a complete kit from Ardusimple, base and rover with long range radios? Shouldn’t the modules then be pre-configured by Ardusimple? Might be simpler to start with the existing configuration and then change constellation settings etc. if the rover does not work at 10 Hz with initial settings.

@NorthernFarmer Yes, it was a complete kit. Worked great last year for light bar guidance. Just completed my first install of autosteer. Pcbv2, no mma, no dog2, no brick. Problem I’m having is steering motor will only move in short pulses. Never smooth continuous movements. After reading on the forum of another person’s same problem, the resolution to the problem was to change the HZ of the rover. (To move info being sent to AOGZ). Hence the suggestion of using @Aortner config v1.13. My concern is if his config will work well with a north American setup.

Should have added using cytron motor controller

I did not know that the Ardusimple default configuration uses such a low position calculation rate. Indeed you have to change it.

I doubt the Andreas configuration would have any differences for the North American market from that for Europe since we are not using SBAS but RTK. Your choice to edit the rate setting with u-center or try the Andreas configuration. I prefer to change settings “manually”, easier to keep track of what is actually happening, which parameters and features are active.

@NorthernFarmer my problem is I’m very comfortable with the hardware side of this project. Not so much with the software/firmware side. Using some elses settings is best for me. Are you able to share your settings?

Better to use settings from Andreas instead of mine. I’ve adapted the F9P rover to my base which is not an F9P but supports only GPS and Glonass. The better the more people are using the same settings, specifically anyone who is not interested spending time with the details (or does not have enough time).

Or just connect to ucenter and change the rate settings to 10 hz. hit send then go to cfg and select all 4 and click send. If your still using original settings you might have to change how many messages are sent. Only need gga and vtg and thats in the msg tab. rate save

2 Likes

Thanks @wwfarm . I made the changes you suggested and autosteer works now, no more jerky steer motor movements. Smooth as silk. Yippee. SO Awesome. My first setup.

Question, in the msg tab I couldn’t figure out how to select gga and vtg. I selected 1 pressed send and then selected the other and pressed send. Not sure how to do both at the same time. Also, do I need to make any changes to the base station? I only changed the rover.

Neil

view>messages view>NMEA>GxGGA
view>messages view>NMEA>GxVTG

If you double click, it will be active or inactive. then view> configuration view> CFG> save current conf, remember.

1 Like

I have simpleRTK2B-F9P V3 GPS. I thought I had it set to 10 Hz from various config files. Apparently it didn’t set it to 1 Hz.
I went through configurations by hand with u-center.
CFG-RATE-MEAS is set to 100 [ms]
I have disabled all NMEA messages but GGA and VTG, which I set to 10 [Hz]. As I understand that means it should send it at 10 Hz.
Now if I look at the text feed from USB (serial) GGA and VTG messages are sent at 1 Hz rate. I managed to disable other messages that were sent by default settings.
All setting are kept the same as I set them after disconnecting the device.

I don’t get it. What am I missing here?

Set them to 1.

Yes, that was the one I misunderstood. Thanks.

Great! Glad you got it working. That’s how I set gga and vtg, just one at a time. If its working then I wouldn’t worry about changing base station.