Grade control

No not Opengrade3D, I installed my valve/control box today, I will maybe make a quick field test in the next week but the real work will be in May.
I will make my Optisurface map tomorrow, I didn’t had enough time for this last winter! :rofl:

I will grade the yard and a little field section with Opengrade in the next days, will see how the valve react.

Be sure to use the last OpenGrade3D release, the last is v1.0.8, released today!, some had bugs.
The new one has more mapping options.
New ino too, save settings to EEPROM.

2 Likes

have you added UDP ethernet to either open grade or open grade 3D?

No
I only use USB so far. I use a Surface Go tablet, it has only a Usb C port.

I just toke a quick look for UDP, it’s above my programming skills for now :wink: :grin:
Maybe someone else can try.

1 Like

Gotta check the new release out. Maybe we can merge the versions at some point, I could try to throw in the CAN stuff to your new ino. I also did some mods to the integral calculation to make it neater by looping over an array instead of having 5 different variables.

Hello Grade Control People :slight_smile:

Was there Already a thought about using the Grade Basic Programm for an visualization or maybe control Feature for an Digger. Would be maybe a cool System to have.
Just a thought, lets see what will be the comments.
Regards

Depending what kind of “digger” you mean, if you want only move up and down you should be able to achieve it with the current OpenGrade version.

Last summer I made a trench with an Kobelco Excavator, I just put the antenna on the bucket and was able to read the depth, so it was easier to give just a slight slope.
I first drove aside with the bucket near the ground for the survey then made my line.

@nut Yes I took a look at your Can code, that’s cool! Now I want a tractor whit CAN Bus! :grin:
One thing is to check if the ino works better with a 10 or 20 hz loop. This interact with the number of values in array. From what I see it take about .2 sec for a GPS read after the actuation to receive the new pwm command. So an array of 5 value at 20 hz should work well I think.

One other thing I changed is that the ino send data back only each time it receive a data, it doesn’t matter anyway since OpenGrades don’t use it, it’s just for diagnostic.

Okay, built the wiring harness and control box today, gonna test this weekend how it all works on the blade.

The wiring harness sits between the armrest and the tractor, hydraulics CAN is going through the teensy and the tractor CAN is hooked to the third bus on the board for read only, maybe some draft control features. Rest of the pins are just carried over with the grey cable.

image image image

And it works! Did a quick run in laser mode to see everything is moving as it should. Needed to edit the ino quite much, got rid of the filters as the front loader was missinh some messages and wouldn’t move. Now all hydraulics functional and the blade moves!

8 Likes

Hi
A little update,
I made my first field (4ha) with OpenGrade3D and an OptiSurface design.
I worked great!

Some little points to improve:
There is a little problem with OpenGrade3D when using design grid points that are not full north-south/east-west so it’s better to select 0 degree for the grid when exporting the agd file from Optisurface.

I used an NTRIP correction from 6km away (f9p’s) and there was a little variation in elevation over 15 minutes (+/-2cm), it was was very cloudy maybe it affected the accuracy.

3 Likes

Great! How much did you set as max cut in optisurface and how does it work out in practice to keep the blade from biting in too much?

I was thinking about the integral we have now, it’s not really an integral term but more like a low-pass filter, not that it matters but maybe. helps understand how it affects the blade control.

1 Like

It is set according the field, how deep you want to scrape. In my case, very flat sandy field it was 10 cm.
So I had the manually lift the blade some times. So It’s important to have a good system to easily switch between auto/man, I switched a lot to manual, also to empty the blade faster over a ditch sometimes.

I also used a lot the little box to adjust the blade heigh going from -2cm to 4 cm, this will have to be improved, it’s very hard to hit the arrows.
I will try to make it adjustable with my 2 axis joystick.

I will grade an other 4 ha today.

2 Likes

it would be interesting to see the field your working on and what your doing to it. What crop? etc. etc.

Hi to this thread also. :slight_smile:

I Have tendency to read too much and get ideas…

Can, could, is there any idea to implement this to road grader?
(I have read the entire thread at somepoint, but idea came now and i cant remember everything i have read…)

So, controlling blades level (height), and inclination. All this even if operator rotates blade… ?

So, in theory, one takes ones road grader, make road that can be drove with it. (Obvious…)
Then one just rides ones just made road, lasercan mode (?), come back to start, looks data, determines height curve and press “autopilot” and goes fetch coffee, and when come back… …

Would there be road, or grader in ditch?-)

I know, it would not be so simple, but… Had to ask… :slight_smile:

Also, if i dont recall wrong, multiple instances of opengrade on github, which one to use… ?
… I will read this thread again, but now to sleep, just some insomnia around here… :slight_smile:

So, tested couple, Opengrade and Opengrade 3D.
Is there somewhere simply enough instructions (for me…) how they should be used?
And thinking also might need to update computer… :slight_smile: see attached photo from opengrade3d…
Field view is … kind of small … Tried to disable right menus, but no go… :slight_smile:
Sorry, I’m adhd, I’m interested in this, but cant just focus enought to read (again) 300 messages… :slight_smile:

Hi
As standalone program you can only use OpenGrade. With Opengrade3D you need to create a design map with a software like Optisurface.

Go to Youtube and search for “opengrade” you will see @BrianTee_Admin videos.
It works still the same, there a only more settings.
BrianTee’s opengrade on Youtube

Still no instructions for Opengrade3D :grimacing:

Your screen can work, the little “field” top left is not extensively needed, in fact for grading I almost never look at it.

Once you create a field, you will be able to survey, this will appear in the bottom window.

I have no experience with 3D but have used open grade extensively. I use it for contour terraces.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMXcZ9jW2TjrrIX5EYxffaA/videos

So this first field I graded so far with OpenGrade3D (8ha)
17 hours with a 160hp tractor and 14ft (4.3m) blade

The field is almost flat and tiled but need some surface levelling to allow uniform water flow (no pounds) after heavy rain. Crop: corn, soybeans, oats.

The survey was made with Opengrade3D

The survey imported in Optisurface:
survey
The cut/fill:
You can see that there is very little soil to move, less than 8cm (3in) for the most parts of the field.
cutfill
The final design:
proposed

A video in the tractor:

4 Likes

Any tips on the driving patterns, how many passes etc? Looks like you ran at an angle to the slope? Did you do first a rough pass and then finish with multiple passes?

Finishing ploughing my first levelling field today and will try to survey tonight. Pretty similar case, level tiled field but lots of ponding problems

Yeah, with my little experience and with tips from my cousin who have a commercial system, here is what I can say:
1- It good to have the field worked a bit, to have very little residue and dry soil.
2-You have to find the reference height with the bench mark but also by driving by the zones with no cut/fill. With my base at 5km I saw ±2 cm variation over time.
3-the heavy work. Probably the best way is making circles sideways or over mound to pond, taking time to drive everywhere at least once, most parts two times, driving trough the pond to compact the material. I had to modify the “blade offset” from time to time.
circles
Personally I had two or three spot with a mound near a pond so I moved some material going back and forth first.
4-After that it should at the right height everywhere. So you can make the finish pass in the working direction. For this you drive in manual mode with the blade at least half full just to make a nice finish, just looking on the screen how far from the line you are! :wink:
I my case I ended with most field within ±2cm.

1 Like

When you drive with a tractor, do you put the antenna on the implement? I don’t have the right implement for doing this job, only a 3m level with hydroulic cart for up and down.
Do you think can be useful for me?