Hello from Kuna, Idaho

Hi everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and am looking forward to implementing the software on my farm. I did a search for “Idaho” and didn’t see any results, so here I am!

I’ve already implemented GPS, using SparkFun, on my Bulldozer blade for a subdivision I’m building. For the roads, we need elevation accuracy as well which makes it extra challenging. I already setup a SparkFun Reference station broadcasting out better than 1/2" precision.

Already, I can draw lines via Google Earth into KML files that I then upload to SW Maps on the Android tablets. The Androids connect by Bluetooth to the SparkFun Express devices.

Now that I think about it, I could probably even integrate AgOpenGPS as the preferred tablet in the dozers as I build the roads. I already have the KML files, so I’m guessing it’ll be pretty easy.

Unfortunately, my dozer is brand new and I don’t want to void its warranty, so I can’t be messing around with automation. For now, it’ll be an indicate only system using lasers along with the RTK.

I’m also getting a track loader that will have automated laser for the final grade as elevation becomes super important as well. Likely either Trimble or Tapcon. These are $30k systems for their proprietary software.

We have about 150 farmable acres, and likely will be going into Hay. I’m going to need likely 125 HP machines so I’m looking at TYM and Kioti tractors. Due to warranty concerns, I’ll likely just do the steering wheel printout. I’m also buying a 3D printer soon which will help tie everything together.

Anyway, I look forward to learning from you guys and sharing to the knowledge base. Perhaps I will integrate into the construction side as well eventually.

3 Likes