Importing KML files into AgOpen

I am trying to import KML files that have been sent to me by my agronomist, and which will show the field/boundary in Google Earth. ( so I know they work)
Using Simulator, and entering the coordinates somewhere within one of the boundaries, I then start a field and go to create boundary, choose the boundary from the KML files, open and press the return on the create page and the bottom toolbar changes colour but the field/boundary is nowhere to be seen. Guess I’m doing something stupid - any help please?

Make sure you did not swap lat and long. Make sure that the simulator did reset after the new sim cords. It only take a few decimal place rounding to be miles away.

Thanks Kent, I will try those suggestions. I’m going to try with the tractor today sat in the field - you would think it should work then? Can the lat and long still be wrong if I do it that way?
Is Google earth supposed to open when clicking the icon in the create boundary page - it doesn’t on mine?

Open your file in Google earth. Then export that path to a kml. This will force the formatting to the form that AOG can read. Set your sim cords to the first point or in the field. Restart AOG. Import your field. If you see it great. If not, apply the manual tool for a few minutes and set a few flags. Exit and save the field. Open the field folder and click on the field.kml. That will load everything into Google Earth and you will be able to find the field and flags and see where you are in relation to where you want to be.

1 Like

Thank you again. Tried today physically on the edge of the field and still wouldn’t show. There was a mention of corrupted boundary.
Great detailed instructions thanks - I will try this next.

AOG needs a specific path to import. It is looking for the word “coordinates”, then it reads one long string of coordinates. There are many ways to format a kml file. AOG is based on Google earth standard export. If you want to upload the kml file I can take look at it. Just change the extension to .txt and you can upload it here.

2 Likes

Hi Kent
Followed your instructions in Google Earth and saved as a .kml and then loaded into Ago it says it has created the boundary and displays the correct hectares so getting nearer! But still can’t see the outline of the boundary. I have inputted the coordinates from the middle of the field.
Tried dropping the flags etc but when I have saved and try to reopen nothing happens. I just get an internet explorer page asking if I want to open the file, which I choose but then it just comes back to the same page. Sorry but I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to files etc! Thanks again for helping. Paul

Field 1 Paul3.kml (3.5 KB)

1paul ff

2 Likes

Opened file in google earth. In the menu in the left screen, I saved the path as kml.

Opened AOG and set sim coords to lat 54.162797, long -1.5001145. Accept the restart.

Clicked new field and named it paul. clicked into boundary. loaded the kml file that I created above. And hit enter. It gave me an error. Canceled out of all of that. Did it again and it loaded fine. I have some maze mapping turned on so it shows the yellow and purple dots. But it loads and saves back to google earth. Perhaps may try to zoom all the way out to see if you can see it on the screen.

Here is the field folder. Just download it, rename it to drop the .txt. place it in the field folder and try to use it as your field.

paul 2021.Feb.26 12_23.zip.txt (10.9 KB)

1 Like

Thank you very much both of you - problem solved!
Your replies showed me that your coordinates were in a different format to mine - I was probably thousands of miles away! Changed the lat/long from degrees and minutes to decimal degrees and hey presto. Might be something the ‘how to’ instruction writing guys could include for numpties like me?
I read the AOG discourse every day trying to learn things and marvel at how clever lots of the members are out there, and are so willing to help each other. Long may it continue :blush:
Thanks again

3 Likes

I always marvel that this is “just farmers.” Farmers are without question the most brilliant people on the planet. And most of them want to help others. Farmers get a bad wrap in most places. But not in my book, and clearly, not on this forum. Good luck with it and glad we could help. By the way, I built a nice field in Antarctica one time when I had my lat and long backward.

2 Likes

I have a question, what do the values ​​of N, E and H mean and how to convert them to insert them along with the coordinates of the border point into the flags.txt file. Based on the known coordinates, I’d like to manually edit the flags.txt file to set flags at the boundary points.

Each field has a starting point. This E and N is the distance in meters to that point.

The boundary as it is imported is divided into many segments. The boundary file contains the E and N of all the points.

The field kml file contains the lat and long of each of the segments.

Hello,
I have a question:
When I have a Look into the Flags-file of the field I See the latitude, longitude, easting, northing value.
What I do not understand ist the next value. Dies anybiody of you know what this value ist?
Best regards

I think it is color. Can you send an example?

Hi,
Now I got it.
When you open the flag.txt of the single field you get the following values in one row:

Lat, lon, easting, northing, direction Angle to north in Radiant, 0, number of the flag, Name of the flag

The angle to north you can also see as value H in degree in the small window when creating a flag.

You are correct. The 0 in your response is the color. 0 red 1 green 2 yellow