JPEG Field Background

Is it possible to use the google earth imagery yet to create a field background ? If so where do I find this on version 4 latest edition?

1 Like

In the creation of a new field, in making the Boundary you can do it by driving or importing a .kml file, that are the files created by Google Earth.

1 Like

I have figured out how to make a boundary with KML but is there a way to import the actual image of the field as well ?

1 Like

No, only limits

So did they do away with the Variable Rate in version 4 ? I cannot find it…I thought I had seen a video of brian uploading a JPEG for variable rate in an older version of AOG…

I can be done, it was eliminated. Generally it cluttered the screen, was not very accurate, and took too many steps to accomplish. Question has to be asked, if it is a large field, and you are zoomed into the tractor, what does it matter if it is a picture of dirt, or computer generated dirt? Boundaries and fence rows are kinda nice, but you can look out the window and get a better idea where they are. Better to export/stream AOG to Google earth if you just want to see where you are in the world. That works very well.

2 Likes

I agree no need to see dirt !! Only thing I was liking about the idea was an aerial view of the actually field image with boundaries laid over top. Also liked the idea of setting an AB line while sitting at one end of the field and being able to physically see where it would end up without having to drive to the other end first. But imagine getting the image to be accurate of the actual position would be cumbersome…Is there a tutorial on how to stream AOG over the top of google earth ?

It’s not currently possible. The texture on the ground is a 1024x1024 texture that’s stretched by OpenGL over a wide area with a type of blurring transformation to make it look soft and land-like. While it might be possible for you to modify AOG to use tiles from Google maps in their real place, I don’t know that the result would be very good at the zoom levels AOG is typically using.

Yes, I see the benefit to that. However, I was never able to get the VR image to show up in the ABdraw form. I’m sure that would be a simple fix. But I never could. Shows up fine in the main screen, but not in the ABdraw.

You need to save the kml file every few frames of update. I chose 10 and then 50. I could not see any difference. Then inside of Google earth pro, Add, Network Link, then point it to the file being updated, and how often to update it.

Awesome thanks for the info ! Big help guys !

This is the live link that we are working on in AOG-Tree. If you notice the menu to the left it has Untitled Network Link. The balloon shows up at the tractor with tool width and speed. If you update often, then you really should not use the balloon.

This is an image that I added just showing that It was possible to add any image. Search for Background in these forums and you can find some of this.

1 Like

What about Web Map Services WMS?

If you calculated the necessary coordinates needed based on the zoom level, and translated the UTM coordinates back into whatever the WMS needs, probably could be done.

I think you can get some ideas on this looking at a software program called leaflet. We use it to map equipment across the US by gps coordinates for customers. Works very well. It is JS based not C but may offer some insights.