KML creation outside Google Earth

With the new features as AB-line created by touch and a definable first line distance from boundary, AgOpenGPS is ready for very precise boundaries and applications such as controlled traffic farming.
However boundaries are to be created inside the program or with Google Earth, which are not precise.
I wonder how you people handle this and if there are workarounds using for example QGIS or internet tools? If so, what sort of data do you start with and what procedure do you follow to create a KML that can be imported into AgOpenGPS?
I will bundle your reactions into working procedures.

1 Like

I walked around each field boundary with a Ublox M8T and an antenna on a pole which I carefully moved along the edge of my boundary. I recorded raw obervation data and by post processing the data with the free tools in RTKLib and free rinex data from a local base station (see OS Net RINEX data in UK) generated an accurate KLM boundary.

I had success essentially following this guide (for f9p but works with m8t): Dual-frequency PPK solutions with RTKLIB and the u-blox F9P – rtklibexplorer

You need to use RTKconv (in RTKLib) to convert the observation data into rinex format (you need .obs and .nav files). Then you put the .obs and .nav files into RTKpost (also in RTKLib) with the base station data. RTKpost has an option to output a KLM in google earth. I set my receiver to take readings at 1 Hz and walked slowly around the boundary so I had points about 1 metre apart. In google earth you can then see all the points and move them if you want to smooth any areas. I had problems at first opening the KLM boundary in Agopengps because the boundary wasn’t closed but after joining up the points in Google earth it opened fine.

I also found the co-ordinates for my RTK base station using a similar process which is more accurate than the survey in process.

1 Like

Much was improved since starting this topic. See the developments in this topic:

So Agopengps v4 can create a precise boundary and KML now. Once a boundary is created you can pick up the KML file in the field folder and save it forever. Great!
I have built a handheld receiver similar to that of Ardusimple and I plan to use SW maps (Android) to quickly register points of interest throughout the season. Maybe boundaries too if you want to do them by walking. It lets you register continuously or specific points. It exports Shapefile, KML, but I have yet to try if the line feature KML imports in Agopengps well.

Hi, I walk around with co99-f9p bluetooth on powered by usb power bank, Lefebure application send the correction and receive nmea with f9p. Then the phone is RTK. I use FAM application to make the field and export the KML.
IMG_20210201_101421_copy_719x962
Screenshot_2020-10-14-13-39-06-195_com.lefebure.ntripclient
Screenshot_2021-02-01-10-30-27-685_lt.noframe.fieldsareameasure

2 Likes

What is FAM app?

FAM (Field area mesure), Android application