Most complete guide

Hello, I am looking to get started building a gps that would essentially function like a trimble 250 with easy steer. Nothing fancy, just driving in a mostly straight line and count acres covered.

Is there an idiot proof guide that would link to where to buy components such as the gps reciever and screen and assembly? The ag open gps official website has lots of the smaller components listed but I am not sure which antenna to choose for the most accurate free signal. Thanks for any help, trent

1 Like

AOG official website unlikely wants to promote any one GNSS receiver because there are so many options and so many personal preferences. For any single product many people can find disadvantages from their personal point of view.

I guess Ardusimple F9P (SimpleRTK2B) would be a good receiver for many. It now supports SBAS if you prefer a free signal but accept 30 cm pass-to-pass accuracy (much lower absolute accuracy).

Another F9P would allow you to build a private RTK base. The signal would still be free (after the base one-time costs) and the accuracy would be sub-inch pass-to-pass and absolute (no drift over years).

The screen is a windows computer, laptop or tablet, don’t you have any suitable at home already?

I’m not sure what you are after with the the assembly part?

1 Like

By assembly I was meaning the best step by step guide to doing all the wiring and software work, is the agopengps official site the best place?

Schematics can be found in support files at Brian’s github. If using IBT2, double check +12v and gnd wiring from google.

About tuning, you should watch Brian’s videos at youtube.

Hi Trent, we started a total overhaul of the wiki last fall to accomplish just the guide that you’re looking for. It’s way past overdue and I’ll apologize for that. The plan was that the documentation would be released with V4 but that ship has sailed. It will be done but I’m not sure when.

1 Like

Yes a “agopengps for dummies” is what I was hoping for. I’ve reread the wiki 5 or 10 times now and I think I’ve got all the parts in my shopping cart except for the wheel motor, that is out of stock for now

Did you read the old wiki, or did you search for the word wiki in this forum?

Hi @wilberttalen,
I’m really pleased to learn that there is a wiki for beginners on its way. I started to get interested in the project 6 months ago with a friend of mine (he’s a farmer, I’m an engineer in electronics), and we started to buy components 3 months later. Now we have a functional setup on a Massey 5455. During the research phase we felt lost as we didn’t know where to start, what are the points not to miss, are there any traps, unnecessary stuff, etc. I think this situation can dissuade a lot of people to go one step further, and thus I think a well built and straightforward wiki is essential.
Do you need help on its writing / proofreading / illustrating ? If so, where should I go ? I don’t have that much experience but I can definitely give a hand.

3 Likes

Maybe I can help with this, especially considering I’m a total newbie and eventually got it working (with a lot of support from here).

I didn’t even know what an Arduino was before I came across AOG, I just wanted to build an autonomous vehicle and about a year later I have a fully functional AV and have learned a bucketload about robotics generally.

So thanks.

I’ve had a couple of PMs from fellow newbies and sent this:

“ Stages I went through:

1. Select your hardware: arduino, magnetometer, accelerometer, motor controller board, wheel angle sensor, analogue to digital converter and GPS. Ensure they are suitable.
  2. Wire them up accordingly.
  3. Edit and upload the relevant sketch
  4. Install Google Earth, create a boundary (polygon) around the field you want to use and save this as a KML file.
    4.1. Take a note of the GPS coordinates of the point you wish your vehicle to start from in that field. Put your mouse pointer in the field position you want to start from and check the coordinates in the bottom right corner of the map screen.
    4.2. Enter these coordinates in the top left menu of AOG.
  5. Start the program in simulation mode and start a new field.
  6. Click New Boundary and load the KML file. You should now see your boundary / geofence on the map in AOG.
  7. Create an AB Line to tell the vehicle which path line to follow.
  8. Click on the cog (settings) button /Serial Ports and select the relevant autosteer port for your motor controller.
  9. Centre your wheels (there’s a link to this on the AOG discussion forum).
  10. Click Autosteer and U-turn buttons and start the vehicle from the manual slider at the bottom of the screen.

Your steering motor now should move according to the sim, you should see your wheels turning for u-turns, etc.

1. Tweak settings like hell until you have accurate settings for your vehicle.

A fair few steps here and there are a lot more. This is VERY BROADLY what you need to do so see how you get on and drop a message here if / when you get stuck.”

Edit: Just realised that, amongst other things, I omitted all mention of downloading and installing AOG.

In mountaineering, they say the best kit is that which you don’t notice you’re using :wink:

If nobody else has the time / inclination, I can refine this while I still remember the position of being a total newbie.

5 Likes